It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Actual '73 Giving Tree Movie Spoken By Shel Silverstein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Shel Silverstein is one of my favorites. I read a lot of his books when I was a kid. I also bought one of my nieces Where the Sidewalk Ends so she could enjoy it, too.
This video is for The Giving Tree. I liked it when I was a kid, and after all these years, still do. It's a good story but it makes me sad. To me, it shows how easy it is to be forgotten unless somebody needs something. These people will only come around when they want something, like the boy in the story. They'll take and take until there's nothing left.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think the giving tree was one of the first books I got when I was a kid. It always made me feel so crappy at the end. I am almost sure its a parable for kids to understand why you should be grateful to your parents, I know that's what I always thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Awwww...made me think of Mom...

"Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends."

You may recognize that^

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I can see that. Parents are the tree and children are the boy. They move away and come less and less often.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I do. It's from Where the Sidewalk Ends.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I do. It's from Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Is where the sidewalk ends a book of poems??

OR something like that?

I think my teacher read it to us in 2nd grade. I loved whatever it is I am talking about. I think the cover was a side walk ending with a girl near the edge? and the sidewalk was floating? Something like that. Long time ago..

OMG that video is almost creeping me out, it's so vivid in my childhood mind.. What in the world.. Oh no I'm getting nervous.. I remember this scarring me...
edit on 1-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Yes, it's poems. Shel did a lot of kid stuff but he has some adult stuff too.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Penthouse or something?

I guess I could stop being lazy and look it up!
NVM LOL
edit on 1-7-2015 by TNMockingbird because: Playboy I think...NVM Penthouse, geez!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Not as far as I know. He has some stuff on youtube.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Had to help the nephew download music, have the S.O wake up so I could pick his brain...look it up...

I thought I wasn't crazy...I suppose he and Heff were friends of sorts in the very beginning....

Born in Chicago, Illinois on September 25, 1930, Shel Silverstein enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1950 and served in Korea and Japan, becoming a cartoonist for Stars & Stripes magazine. After his stint in the Army was up, he soon began drawing cartoons for magazines such as Look and Sports Illustrated, but it was his work for Playboy magazine that began garnering Silverstein national recognition. Silverstein's cartoons appeared in every issue of Playboy, riding the high-point of its popularity, from 1957 through the mid-1970s.

^ Biography.com

Some poems:
The Perfect Wave
The Perfect High
Rosalie's Good Eats Cafe

NOT children's poems so can't link or quote LOL

I am sure I am crazy, if I come back to this thread and his name has changed to Silverstain...that's IT!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I am sure I am crazy, if I come back to this thread and his name has changed to Silverstain...that's IT!

hahaha..
You wouldn't be crazy... You'd just be one of the few that remembers before the shift..

I read the first 2.. Then "Rosalie's Good Eats Cafe" had me until about 1/2 way through, and yet I was sure I was near the end.. Have to try that one later.

edit on 1-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I had no idea that he was in the military. I didn't know his stuff was in Playboy either. Wow.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
No Way. I can't do it. This story ALWAYS makes me cry. Even when I was a young person, not fully empathetic and not having had even a glimpse of nostalgia, never having made a sacrifice for a loved one because that's what love allows, was not yet cognizant of unconditional love. This is such a human gem, the book and the author being able to evoke that. In my opinion!

top topics

join