It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz's Reaction to Friday's SCOTUS Decisions

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Gryphon66
How about brothers and sisters that want to get married?

What about them?

Do you want to marry your brother or sister?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So while we have really big issues he's decided to get publicity and help his cause with the far right in the republican party to gain the nomination. That's really self serving of him.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
How about brothers and sisters that want to get married?

Was That legal before?

What SCOTUS said in it's ruling was that it's unconstitutional to deny someone the same rights you yourself are having.
If marrying your brother/sister, monkey, pig or cow is illegal for everyone, it would be just as unconstitutional for a state to write a law that allows ah, lets say farmers to do it, but not the rest of the population.
edit on 712015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If its Cruz or Hillary, I'd go with Cruz, but only because Hillary is evil.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Cruz thinks he's the appointee of his deity to be President.

That tells me all I need to know. I would vote for Donald Trump over Cruz ... the Donald is only a megalomaniac.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

That tells me all I need to know. I would vote for Donald Trump over Cruz ... the Donald is only a megalomaniac.

Unfortunately, in the primaries I can only vote for Hillary or Bernie because I registered as a democrat.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Unfortunately, in the primaries I can only vote for Hillary or Bernie because I registered as a democrat.

/gasp

Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

*eyes the night sky doubtfully now*

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I felt so naughty when I did it.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I felt so naughty when I did it.

You win. I literally just broke down in laughter.

Good show old bean, er, bunny.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Didn't Robert's say, "The Constitution didn't have anything to do with it?" or something similar?

Not that I care. Everyone should have the right to be happy/miserable, but according to Roberts the Constitution had nothing to do with the decision....

Think about that.......

What's to think about? That was from Robert's dissenting opinion, what did you expect him to say? "It had everything to do with the Constitution but I voted for the Christian Right's agenda instead!?"

Kennedy said "No longer may this liberty be denied!"

Are you going to admonish people who disagreed with the SCOTUS ruling to think about that as well? The same sentiment expressed in Robert's opinion about the majority's decision having nothing to do with the Constitution could have just as easily been made in any number of SCOTUS rulings that successfully expanded our First Amendment right to Free Speech. I think we can all agree to keep those regardless of any originalist's interpretation of how less expansive the framer's intent might have been.

There's definitely a striking similarity between rabid originalists' interpretation of the Constitution and the fundamentalists' interpretation of the Bible. When it comes to the Bible, fundamentalists can be excused to some degree because they also believe the Bible to be divinely inspired by a being with perfect knowledge of all things including the future. Worse yet, exactly how strictly originalist Scalia, Thomas and Roberts are in their opinions seems to vary considerably based on how much politics or religion enters into their decisions.
edit on 2015-7-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The comparison to incest isn't really comparable. There is a very good reason incest is taboo culturally, and that's because of the great chance of producing genetically damaged offspring - it isn't good for the species. Plus, I have never heard of any type of sexual preference where someone was solely sexually attracted to their immediate family and no one else - even in incestuous relationships, they are either heterosexual or homosexual. And the comparison to bestiality is also logically flawed, as non-humans can't really be compared to a consenting adult human in cognitive function, and sexual desire.

There is also, of course, a reason why homosexuality is a cultural taboo, especially among the religious - Religion is an evolutionary precursor to government - it helped establish social order in human populations that started to establish permanent settlements. A populations success depended upon their ability to best exploit the resources around them, and the easiest way to do that was through population growth. Homosexual relationships had the possibility of taking otherwise healthy humans of reproductive age out of the reproducing population pool.

Most culturally taboo sexually taboo preferences arose because the relationships didn't produce viable offspring - now I'm not saying that these reasons excuse all sexual taboos, i understand the reasoning why incest is taboo, but I am still not attracted to my mother or my sister (or my father for that matter), and I find pedophilia to be abhorrent - but it's funny how in the vast majority of poorer nations where large population growth is necessary for survival, any sexual deviation that doesn't produce viable offspring is looked down upon more then in more industrialized nations.

The reason why marrying off young pubescent females to much older males is an accepted in many countries today, while the marrying of young males to females is looked down upon is because older males are still sexually fertile, while females lose their fertility - Older males are often more wealthy, established, and the young female will remain fertile, so the possibility of successful offspring is more likely. There is a population control conspiracy going on, but it is going in the opposite direction of what most conspiracy theorists would have you believe.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Didn't Robert's say, "The Constitution didn't have anything to do with it?" or something similar?

Not that I care. Everyone should have the right to be happy/miserable, but according to Roberts the Constitution had nothing to do with the decision....

Think about that.......

What's to think about? That was from Robert's dissenting opinion, what did you expect him to say? "It had everything to do with the Constitution but I voted for the Christian Right's agenda instead!?"

Kennedy said "No longer may this liberty be denied!"

Are you going to admonish people who disagreed with the SCOTUS ruling to think about that as well? The same sentiment expressed in Robert's opinion about the majority's decision having nothing to do with the Constitution could have just as easily been made in any number of SCOTUS rulings that successfully expanded our First Amendment right to Free Speech. I think we can all agree to keep those regardless of any originalist's interpretation of how less expansive the framer's intent might have been.

There's definitely a striking similarity between rabid originalists' interpretation of the Constitution and the fundamentalists' interpretation of the Bible. When it comes to the Bible, fundamentalists can be excused to some degree because they also believe the Bible to be divinely inspired by a being with perfect knowledge of all things including the future. Worse yet, exactly how strictly originalist Scalia, Thomas and Roberts are in their opinions seems to vary considerably based on how much politics or religion enters into their decisions.

The Constitution is the Constitution!

Sorry you have a bone to pick with those who identify themselves as Christians, but Roberts pretty much pissed on the piece of paper he is supposed to represent and uphold!

I guess it's all good when politically it goes your way, but I hope I live long enough to laugh at your ass when the day comes I see you complaining because the SCOTUS ruled in a manner that didn't fall along your beliefs?

Freedom is freedom! Take it or leave it!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Not to mention, he referred to the Five Justices in the majority as "mere lawyers."

So much for the dignity of the Court, eh?

I guess the only logical question would be ... aren't you a "mere lawyer" too?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The same Supreme Court they admonished in the "Citizens United" case is the same one they're applauding here.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

The same Supreme Court they admonished in the "Citizens United" case is the same one they're applauding here.

Yep. And, this same Supreme Court, just this same week also ruled that coal and big oil have the right to keep on pouring methylmercury poison into the air and that lethal injections that cause hours of painful spams and seizures before causing death, aren't cruel and unusual punishment!

Good week for America!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

PEOPLE!
Are you serial? Really?????

"PFFfffhhhhh"

No wonder the world laughs at us.
Seriously.

Bread and circuses. (Or rather: 3D glasses and popcorn)

edit on 7/1/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The problem is so many people can only see "Left and Right". you fight over who won the "Liberal Agenda insert slur*" the "Republican Agenda*Insert Slur*

you would rather deny Humans Rights and Privileges just because you don't want the "Progressives" to "Win", you would rather Deny the constitution, the same one that always gets brought up when it has to do with Religion and Guns, than realize that GLBTQ+ or Straight, Black White or every Race, Male,Female, Intersex, Genderfluid.. everyone should get equal rights and protections

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Sarcasm... Apparently God is ok with the above, and everything else we do to oppress one another. But gay marriage is why we will be punished? End Sarcasm...

How about we feed the homeless, honor the marriage bed, and protect our women from prostitution. All of these seem more worthy of God's attention than two people consenting to a same sex marriage.

Thank you.

A sane response.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

The problem is so many people can only see "Left and Right". you fight over who won the "Liberal Agenda insert slur*" the "Republican Agenda*Insert Slur*

you would rather deny Humans Rights and Privileges just because you don't want the "Progressives" to "Win", you would rather Deny the constitution, the same one that always gets brought up when it has to do with Religion and Guns, than realize that GLBTQ+ or Straight, Black White or every Race, Male,Female, Intersex, Genderfluid.. everyone should get equal rights and protections

I completely agree with you.

Thanks for chiming in. It's a harsh audience, though - just so you know.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's why i stayed out of it for a while, but i've handled much worse in my life, so why not be part of the discussion

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join