It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your city or town really like?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I live in a small town. Ohio, USA. No police violence, really. But this town's infected with heroin users, they started years ago with Percocet, then to Meth, now smack to ease off speed. Crime's went through the roof along with drug violence, and this is a town with only three red lights. All my friends from high-school fled to other states to break their addictions, two have died. And some how, pharmaceutical companies still operate in billions. Isn't it funny how a weed dealer gets slammed against concrete for plant matter but corporations that ruin whole towns are praised?

Racism has never been an issue and it's mostly white. I've have however watched pills destroy this place.

Other than junkie dens and having to purchase a twelve gauge, it's a fairly nice place.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Smaller city area(WA/ID boarder) in the Inland Pacific Northwest-or those unfamiliar East of Seattle and the Cascade mountains.

.Politically
As with most college town atmospheres it's very Liberal. Though being in the Inland NW it's also very libertarian and Independent leaning more than the Conservative Christians that reside in some other parts of the state and Inland NW region.

.Is there police violence?
Not much due to the smaller population around 20 thousand and about the same amount across the boarder.

.Is there rampant racism?
Not so much compared to the more rural areas or other areas around here such as N. ID's past-which is way less active now. It's more diverse than the closer rural areas. History wise it was a Sundown town -See here affecting the citie's Asian minority.

.How do the citizens treat each other?
The most friendly seem to be not from here-lots of college students and those who move here for that atmosphere. Long time locals seem to stay to themselves, being less friendly especially if you're not from the area originally.

.OtherDrugs(meth), theft seems to be growing in the area at a high rate. Relocation of people from other trouble areas or just an issue itself from more poverty, etc.(?)

.Accent
There's not much of a discernible accent here(some Canadian for example comes through), more of a general American accent. With small rural influence for some still existing from Civil War Veterans who relocated to this area of the West.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I live in a small town with a population of about 3000. Small enough that you can pretty much walk everywhere (or crawl if you're coming home from the local legion or a backyard party).

Bears tend to stroll around town at night, so you have to be a bit careful particularly during feeding season.

Quiet, next to nothing for police presence, great neighbours, everybody knows everybody. It's tricky if you want to just quickly run into the store for something though because everyone wants to talk your face off, making a 5 minute shopping trip into 20 minutes.

You couldn't pay me to live in a city ever again.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Here is a local band from 1997.

A local artist from 2009

We also have a guy running for President. I grew up in the same neighborhood as him. Though we were born five years and one day apart. I hope the youngster does well. He's got my vote.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Oh, I almost forgot.

WorldStarHipHop loves my home town. Simply looooves it.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: leeb317

Oh, I love that place. When they first opened, [ late 90s ] they had a "Sampler Plate" loaded with all kinds of good stuff. Alligator tail, fried clams, catfish, fried rattlesnake, home fries....'skuse me, had to wipe my chin,....and some of the best, cue ball size hush puppies, I have ever eaten, with huge glasses of ice cold beer. For $12. They stopped serving such large portions because folks would come out and order just one platter for 2 -3 people. Now, you just get a few bites of each and I think they took the rattlesnake off the menu.

Been around Hazard as well

Yeah, that's where I grew up and if anyone ever asks, That's where I call "home". Hope you enjoyed your stay. Oxycontin, homemade liquor, and Hillbillies armed to the teeth, what could go wrong? Right?

edit on 2-7-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
the best way i can think of to describe my city is like a giant extremely white trash trailer park. everywhere you go, you just see morbidly obese people, it's kind of like the honey boo boo episode of south park. in fact, i suspect mama june is actually a closet topekan, she would fit in so well. yes, i am from lovely topeka ks. there is no industry and there are about three places in my entire city to work that are not fast food or walmart. my husband used to work at a gas station and i would come hang out with him at work, and i swear to gosh 9 out of every 10 customers would come in and buy 30 dollars worth of cheetos, candy bars and mountain dew USING THEIR FOODSTAMPS. we are probably equally populated with hispanics, blacks and whites. the city government is completely inept. some of their brilliant ideas include building an ice skating rink and baseball field downtown, sounds nice right? not in our downtown, with crackheads and prostitutes on every corner, because downtown has been dead ever since they built the big mall on the west side. another great idea from the city government is a riverfront project of hiking trails, restaurants, etc, which is going to cost hundreds of million dollars to develop on the sewage filled kansas river, right next to the homeless shelter, and exactly where a well-meaning guy was murdered by a group of homeless people he was trying to help. AND THE KICKER everyone is scared of the east side, but i live there now, and while my car was broken into and vandalized THREE TIMES when i lived in the supposedly affluent west side (my neighbor that i never saw turned out to be a bunch of teenage crackheads with no adult supervision i don't know how they were able to rent), it hasn't been broken into once living on the east side and i have had no problens AT ALL.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

That sounds a lot like a place I lived in called Tumbler Ridge, BC. It is a mining town, fairly isolated, with about 3k people. The surrounding area was GORGEOUS, lots of woods, water falls and such . Would love to retire there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join