It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Built Their Death Squads: ISIS's Bizarre Origin Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Cracked is a typically entertaining way to pass some time. I really haven't seen them do anything that could fairly be called "important" work, but I suppose it's possible that I missed something. Usually it's stuff like "six things you didn't know about being blind" or similar fare.

Imagine my surprise when I went there today and I saw an article about how we created ISIS. It raises some of the standard points but what I found interesting was that the article was done at all. It's a step outside cracked's usual stuff, and I would be interested to know how many hits it gets and how many times it gets shared. Cracked doesn't really cater to the typical MSM viewer, so perhaps this could widen the focus and interest in/on ISIS.

Anyway, enjoy.

www.cracked.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

That's outside of their usual material. I might have missed it but I think they forgot the whole thing in Syria where we armed the rebels.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
CIA trains operatives in Qatar, ships weapons and fighters across the Turkish border. Ostensibly its "the Opposition", so pick your flavor of "Assad must go" from the 21 flavors US subterfuge mix.

Believing ISIS isn't one of them is delusional…

Live Leak

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yep. When I saw that, front page, top of page, I was actually a little stunned.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I saw it too and thought on posting it.

It brings out the some shocking facts.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

That's outside of their usual material. I might have missed it but I think they forgot the whole thing in Syria where we armed the rebels.

It would have gone from comedy then to WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O wait it did that on point one

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

That it does. I would love to know who the anonymous contributor is. I'm sure I would be disappointed to learn it wasn't any big name, but I still want to know.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I just remembered a few videos that I saw a while back. I don't know if you've watched Stuff They Don't Want You to Know but it's interesting. Lots of stuff that would be at home on ATS. Anywho, they had a few ISIS related videos. I'll put them here because they're relevant.
This video asks who they actually work for.

This one asks where they get their money.

Some of Storm Clouds Gathering's stuff seems out there but this one makes sense. They also provide their sources.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: crazyewok

That it does. I would love to know who the anonymous contributor is. I'm sure I would be disappointed to learn it wasn't any big name, but I still want to know.

I don't know with the hundreds of thousands involved over there other the last decade I am guessing there are a fair big number that know a awful lot of dark secrets and delicate pieces of information who names we would never know.

I hear enough stories from UK Royal marines I know so im thinking the Usa has 20x the number of people in the know floating about.
edit on 1-7-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The Rat Line, an appropriate name.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Fills in a few gaps.

Snf

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It misses a lot. Like ISIS was already a group. Just by a different name Al Quida in Iraq and before that Organization of Monotheism and Jihad while in Jordan. Overthrowing Jordan's Royal family was this groups original goal. As the group started to grow they made mistake of assassination a US diplomat in Jordan. Suddenly and Jordan, the US and Israel saw them as threat and began to hunt them. They got out of Jordan and went to Iraq where the had a small presence. Saddam though he could use them to fight the rebels in the south but, then he found out they also wanted to replace him with a caliphate and he ordered them to be dealt with. They were saved by the US invasion of Iraq. Now they needed a new mission to drive out the US and changed names. Other groups merged, outsiders joined and then Assad made a move and released a bunch of radicals he had in prison to go fight the Americans in Iraq and in return they would get amnesty in Syria. So they went and the fought and the made contacts. Some stayed, others went back and Assad threw them back in prison. Now we move into the early days of the Syrian Civil war, large parts of the Syrian army have joined the rebels. And the rebels/Kurds and Islamic radicals that were fighting Assad were barely getting along. So Assad did another dump of his prisons in hopes they would cause enough trouble that not only would they begin fighting the rebels but, Assad could pain them all as radicals.

This worked at first. Those radicals made contact with their former brothers in Iraq who had in the meant time been gaining lots of new allies among the Sunni militias and most importantly elements of Saddam's former military giving them a genuine conventional military ability. In Iraq they had plan to blitz the capital. And they almost pulled it off but, it failed. Now reunited with their Syrian brothers ISIS was truly born. They adopted many of the radical groups in Syria and the ones that refused to join would pay later. Fighting has already broken out between the rebels/kurds and the radicals. ISIS saw the US backed rebels as the biggest threat so avoided fighting Assad and focuses on the Rebels/Kurds. Assad decided to ignore ISIS in return and also focus on the Rebel/Kurds.

The Rebels/Kurds were driven back and beaten down. ISIS then reared around and hit Assads forces and shortly after began attacking the rival radical groups like AlQuida whos name they once used. From there ISIS grew and with good PR and some early victories became the new group for radical groups to claim to be a part of. Suddenly Al Quida in Libya, Somalia, Boko Harem, and other groups changed names and also became ISIS. Although none of the really have anything to do with each other. The rest is history as they say. ISIS unable to much in Iraq is slowly losing territory and on occasion strikes out but, its days of threatening to take over are dead. Do as much to airstrikes as in the slow moving Iraqi military. In Syria ISIS is doing a little better. Assads Syrian forces do not have much heart for fighting them but, his Hezbollas and Iranian allies do, their are just not enough of them. The rebels/kurds have regrouped and are growing again but, they have two main enemies to focus on meaning a slow war either way.
edit on 1-7-2015 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

top topics

join