It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much (Knowledge) is too Much?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
We're all on a quest for greater knowledge and understanding of this reality. We all seek more information about its nature and mechanics.

But how much is too much?

Once the curtain's been pulled back and the great Oz stands exposed, things suddenly become a lot less interesting. Once you know how this little system operates, much of the intrigue vanishes from life.

Think about it like learning a new game... before you knew all the rules you could simply laugh and enjoy yourself. But once you got caught up in the details you start micromanaging and metagaming to exploit every little filament of potential advantage, giving yourself the best potential to win.

This reality is a lot like that. Back in caveman days we could just run around and thwonk people on the head with our clubs. We didn't need worry about anything like the potential for extinction-level events like asteroids or ice ages.

But now that we're more scientifically mature, suddenly we need address these concerns that before went unnoticed. And with that increased knowledge comes a lot more responsibility--and a lot less enjoyment from life.

So the question is: How much knowledge is too much?

Is having unexplored mysteries the biggest part of the fun? Is subsiding in relative ignorance bliss?

Or would you rather have the curtain pulled back and the whole system exposed?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Once the curtain's been pulled back and the great Oz stands exposed, things suddenly become a lot less interesting. Once you know how this little system operates, much of the intrigue vanishes from life.

Return the favor, wake someone else.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Probably if your knowledge begins to effect ones ability to have an open mind. Thats when I would consider it, to much

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Is not about how much is too much (is never too much). Is about how we deal with that knowledge. Take a step back and go slowly, otherwise too much "light" will blind you.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'm of the opinion that, the more you know, the more you realise you don't know.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Considering the context of the OP, that's almost like it's good gays were given the legal ability to get married, now they can be miserable like the rest of us. LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Mankind as a species just isn't equipped intellectually or sensorally to grasp enough knowledge to understand the reality of the cosmos. Of course we like to think of ourselves as "aware" but that's just not the case. Outside of our 6 senses, perhaps 7, is the area where "it is" hidden to even our most sophisticated devises, designed to gather information/knowledge.

The analogy I like to use is....".it's like trying to teach a dachshund to play poker; it's futile and annoys the dog."

However there are way to open the doors of perception and get a glimpse behind the curtain. But we can't discuss them on ATS.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 1-7-2015 by olaru12 because: DFG^EJ&

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Until you have reached the point of perfection. Which is very far in the future evolutionary process of your soul.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The great Oz hasn't been exposed yet. If you're bored, and things are less interesting to you now. I would suggest(respectfully) you aren't paying attention, and have a lot more to learn.

We can never have too much knowledge, imho. We will be learning as long as our species exists. I am an avid reader. Between books, online articles, white papers, and sites like this, I have read far more at this point in my life than most people will read in two lifetimes. I feel like I've only scratched the surface. There's so much more to learn.

Nevertheless, I often feel our knowledge as individuals, and as a society, is out of balance with our experience and maturity as a species. If "information overload" has it's downside, it is our inability to exercise practical application of what we have learned in relation to how we perceive and live.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'd rather have the whole curtain flung wide open, personally.

It would false to make the assumption that everyone wants to know how the "game of life" is played and who's behind, in order to advance in it, or at least have better advantages before it's over. For me, I've always wanted to know how EVERYTHING works, since I was young, from our floor model tv in the living, to organic things like plants, and even astronomical pondering. My search for answers, is out of the sheer delight and joy of knowing what's actually going on existence in general. Nothing more. And when this phase called my life is over, who knows what I'll learn even from that.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Couldn't agree more! It's all about the application of knowledge retained. And as I said, a personal thrill lol I couldn't ever imagine learning getting "old" or repetitive, or boring at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
And then there's the misquote: "When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer"... so, if we knew everything, what more would there be for us?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Knowledge could be a burden.

Imagine in the future where we know everything that there is to know-even now we have a good idea of how our universe will end and that cannot be comforting to anybody. We are going to die and every other species in this universe is going to die, that is a certainty.

So how do we deal with it? who knows.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

The point is not to get to the 'next level' of the game. Rather it is to use what you've learned and seen to help all these poor sons of bitches trapped in 'this level' of the game.

People are buried in the illusion that this is all there is. That causes a lot of suffering.

Two things seem to happen to someone who learns the truth. Life becomes mundane, and life becomes lonely.

The challenge is not to 'conquer'. That's boring. It never works.

The challenge is to reach out to others who are so buried in this temporal physical world that they have no hope and lift them up. Essentially 'love your neighbor' IS the goal.

I believe it's all by design. We designed this to be challenging. We chose a hard path with very limited awareness and knowledge.

I mean you could buy the latest and greatest video game and play it all the way through in a day on the easiest setting, but where's the fun in that?

And if you think pulling the veil aside is a burden... Imagine the possibility that those who suffer most are actually the most advanced spiritually, choosing an even more difficult level.

The goal is not to win. The goal is to accomplish all the things that are possible while you are here.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

But we don't know Death. We have our theories. But we don't know what that means for us on a molecular level, or a consciousness level. No one knows. A lack of knowing, means there's something to be known. Knowledge lol Death... the BIGGEST unknown!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Your "Knowledge is too much" and extinction concern is not even related.

We're only facing cataclysmic events because our population is massive and reckless.

There's no too much knowledge. All knowledge is learnt.
edit on 1-7-2015 by boozo because: opted out

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustTamms
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

But we don't know Death. We have our theories. But we don't know what that means for us on a molecular level, or a consciousness level. No one knows. A lack of knowing, means there's something to be known. Knowledge lol Death... the BIGGEST unknown!

Well there is the big freeze (odds on favorite)

The big crunch (runner up)

As for what comes beyond death,that's anyones guess. But as for the death of the physical universe, the general consensus is that it is all but a certainty.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trachel
So the question is: How much knowledge is too much?

I would argue that there never is too much knowledge one can possess--the real question should be how much intelligence is needed to put all of that knowledge to good use.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
When you stop understanding what you know, since understanding and knowledge are two different things.
edit on 1-7-2015 by Avicenne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Nevertheless, I often feel our knowledge as individuals, and as a society, is out of balance with our experience and maturity as a species. If "information overload" has it's downside, it is our inability to exercise practical application of what we have learned in relation to how we perceive and live.

I would never want to return to the darkness, but walking in knowledge can be disheartening. When you know the world could change but don't see the way through the trees, knowledge can feel like a burden.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join