It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is light pollution stopping us from spotting UFO'S?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I suspect the owners of the lights we saw were a bit braver due to our remote location.

Like I said it was just a goof. My hubby was on call, spotted morphing white lights out on the state hwy. He called us, we took out snacks, sat on the deck to watch the light show.

It was a matter of seconds from the time I flashed the light, laughed like an idiot, set my flashlight on the railing and sat down. I was afraid the dogs would knock it off the rail so I stood back up to retrieve it, turned around and saw the lights overhead.

I wasn't laughing anymore and for the first time in my life I stuttered like I'd lost my mind, couldn't get the words out. My rough, tough country teenage son started crying. First time I'd heard him cry in ages. I don't think I was scared at first, just in shock but hearing him cry scared me/got me moving.

The small to large morphing white lights we all saw in the distance were single, what ended up over the house were amber, 5 in a row with equal amounts of space between 3 of them the other two were farther spaced but aligned with the rest. They just hovered there, no sound at all.

I'm not sure what's going on and I doubt we'll ever know. Bastards scared the crap out of me/my kids. We had access to outlying residents through our biz. We decided to very discreetly question our country neighbors. My hubby found a woman who saw the same thing while sitting out on her patio that evening. I talked to a mom whose son witnessed it all alone while playing outside at night. She thought he was pulling their leg when he started shouting outside about lights. She was surprised when he came running in crying/wouldn't talk about it. Her chin hit the floor when I started asking about "military" lights.

Apparently whomever is doing this gets off on scaring children.

edit on 7-1-2015 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Throw in the electricity thing too. All the electricity around built up areas only developed over the last 100 years must have some impact on the UFOs and their seen locations. If all the human created technology within built up areas is keeping the UFOs away from those areas for whatever reasons. Maybe they prefer 'natural' environments, then again we with our landscape changing tech are in many ways part of nature, but our city tech may affect their systems, so they stay in the sticks.

Strange as the vast majority of youtube ufo videos posted on threads on ATS seem to be in populated areas

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: wmd_2008

We have many members in all areas of the world taking pictures at night some with pro grade equipment

Do you have members in the Atacama with amateur equipment?

Me, you mean ATS

edit on 1-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

Throw in the electricity thing too. All the electricity around built up areas only developed over the last 100 years must have some impact on the UFOs and their seen locations. If all the human created technology within built up areas is keeping the UFOs away from those areas for whatever reasons. Maybe they prefer 'natural' environments, then again we with our landscape changing tech are in many ways part of nature, but our city tech may affect their systems, so they stay in the sticks.

Strange as the vast majority of youtube ufo videos posted on threads on ATS seem to be in populated areas

Then the electricity 'polution' might be attracting the UFOs to built up areas. It could be working both ways even, depending in the species of entity/type of ufo. Electricity might be attracting them like a candle to a moth.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sorry I'm not an American. Can you explain what a "goof" is please........

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Then the electricity 'polution' might be attracting the UFOs to built up areas. It could be working both ways even, depending in the species of entity/type of ufo. Electricity might be attracting them like a candle to a moth.

Working both ways how very convenient , just as plausible it's all rubbish

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I wasn't trying to communicate with anyone. Living out in the country I always carry my flashlight. It was me being silly with my son, a "wonder what will happen if I flash my light at them" moment.

I guess I wanted them to know someone was watching their antics, as obvious as their display was I really didn't think they cared that anyone was watching. I figured they had more important things to do than play light tag with me, apparently not.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Hahaha you would say that WMD. The point the OP made about a type of pollution - light in that case and electrical in mine is completely a valid possibility in explaining hot spots for UFO activity. It must have some impact on ufo flight paths and the way the machines operate.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

But what is a "goof" please?
Great stroy btw

edit on 1-7-2015 by ufoorbhunter because: Got the thunb wrong way round lol

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

We were having fun watching the light show, didn't take it serious we weren't thinking little green men or proving the existence of alien life/UFOs.

We thought it was military showing off and I decided to show off too. It was meant to be playful, my son dared me. Had I thought any of it was out of the norm, we see military lights all the time, I'd never have gone out with my son. We were goofing around outside in the dark, really didn't take it seriously until they were overhead.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Yep, got it now, I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes and I'm a Brit

I know what you mean by getting a little more thank you bargained for.................. Amazing stuff out there

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

No problem. More than what I bargained for was exactly what we got.

Wonder who got the last laugh on that one?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I live in Phoenix, AZ, I attend ASU. I spoke with a person who was born and raised in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. I asked the person about "strange lights" and UFOs, he told me that he has seen lights similar to the 1997 Phoenix lights about 14 times in his life. They appear (take note of the word) in a straight line and they tend to fly straight at his car. These don't resemble traditional air craft lights.

I also had another friend in the San Francisco Bay area, he too said he saw 3 UFOs hovering over a row of houses in the San Carlos area. He said they appears as traditional "metal" UFOs similar to those from the movie "close encounters of the third kind".
edit on 1-7-2015 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Howdy, Y'all-I just had a lightbulb moment that I hope isn't a dud, so please stay with me.

I've come to realize that there is common link in UFO sightings. Anyone who has payed attention to UFO reports might have noticed a trend-the witness is driving home in a backwater suburb, town, or even in the middle of nowhere. Heck you don't even have to be driving; there are many who have claimed to see dazzling lights on their farms, their summer lodges, even at remote Air forces bases.

Places in the U.S like rural Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico are UFO hotspots, and in Australia places like the Nullarbor plain and the Stuart Highway (The Aussie E.T highway) have their fair share of sightings. So Why are so many UFO's spotted in these areas?

Maybe because we can see them.

Even the most greenhorn astronomers will know that pointing a telescope to the sky is fruitless in a suburban area. The light given off from street lights, house lights and car headlights act as a smoke screen and obscure the vision, which is why observatories are constructed in sparsely populated areas like Hawaii or Australia where the light pollution is minimal.

And if that this is true-and light pollution is a reason why we don't see UFO's in Manhattan, London or Tokyo-does that mean that UFO's could be frequenting these metropolitan areas and we have blinded ourselves to their presence?

Light pollution is most certainly an ever growing problem for astronomers and thus anyone who wants to look into the sky. Seeing as how most UFOs are misidentification of things like high altitude planes, meteors, sprites, satellites, the ISS, the Chinese space station, primarily at night it would stand to reason that such misidentification would be higher in rural dark sky areas with little to no light pollution.

BTW: If anyone here has never been able to get out to a true dark sky location I urge you to do so. Now would be a good time since it is summer in the northern hemisphere.
edit on 1-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

BTW: If anyone here has never been able to get out to a true dark sky location I urge you to do so. Now would be a good time since it is summer in the northern hemisphere.

That all depends how far north you are in the Northern Hemisphere, sun is not setting till just after ten then twilight for 4 hours then it starts to get lighter. Can't wait till September to get back to the Dark Sky Park about an hours drive from me.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

We have many members in all areas of the world taking pictures at night some with pro grade equipment strange that they never seem to see ufo's or is that because we have a good idea of how cameras/optics work and what we are looking at.

Click this Members Astrophotography

Exactly.

It's like I said, why don't wide angle All Sky cameras used for detection and logging of meteor falls pick up UFOs? Because generally those people who operate them and examine their automatically recorded video know what they are looking at.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

We have many members in all areas of the world taking pictures at night some with pro grade equipment

Do you have members in the Atacama with amateur equipment?

There are plenty of professional astronomers in the Atacama. Some of the largest telescopes in the world are located in or near there.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

That all depends how far north you are in the Northern Hemisphere, sun is not setting till just after ten then twilight for 4 hours then it starts to get lighter.

Yes. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of favorable weather.
I've found people will spend a lot more time looking at the night sky in the summer even if it is not a totally dark one than in the fall or winter due to reasons of comfort.

Can't wait till September to get back to the Dark Sky Park about an hours drive from me.

You are lucky to live so close

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Hahaha you would say that WMD. The point the OP made about a type of pollution - light in that case and electrical in mine is completely a valid possibility in explaining hot spots for UFO activity. It must have some impact on ufo flight paths and the way the machines operate.

Sorry WHAT !!!

So now you are claiming Aliens (if they visit) that have the technology to travel vast distances to get here have craft that are effected by light pollution/electricity.

I think they would have more challenging things to deal with in space.

Do YOU ever read what you type before posting it because it seems to be any old BS that comes into your head

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

There are plenty of professional astronomers in the Atacama. Some of the largest telescopes in the world are located in or near there.

When I said amateur i didn't mean professional, and when I said telescope I didn't mean a large telescope array.

However it is a perfect place to set up a large telescope.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join