It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK Supreme Court: Ten Commandments Monument Must Be Removed From Capitol

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Yea. I really can't wait for this phase our political landscape is going through to blow over. I want to be able to flip-flop on issues again, not just stand opposed because one party stands for truth and the other tries to obscure it.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What about people that do not believe in God at all............Separation is done for good reason. Putting your hand on the bible in court is another one that should be banished into history.

No religious symbols of any kind in the government..........

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Logarock

Seriously. Who could call themselves any sort of astute observer of the american cultural and political world and call the left centrists?

Anyone that understands what a "left" and "right" ideology is. Can you tell me when the last time we have had any real social programs pushed through congress? Like a universal healthcare system or a graduated tax system? When is the last time the Left actually did anything "Leftist"? They have become diet-republicans, or republican-lite.

On the other hand, the Republicans call themselves conservative, yet have become neo-conservatives that are so extreme that even real fiscal conservatives have to distance themselves.

They have fallen prey to the right-wing propaganda that is spewed all over this nation everyday and continue to become more and more polarized.

The republicans, as well as the Christians, deserve every bit of flak they get for trying to shove their nonsense down our throats...when all the most of us want is to be free.

What you are seeing is Progressive ideals being pushed on the following masses while the masters at the top form Oligarchies. The progressive ideals keep people in line using fear weakness. TPTB push the rights of the masses for a reason......I love how people cry about a one world government and than call themselves progressives.....Irony at it's best.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
Putting your hand on the bible in court is another one that should be banished into history.

That is not something that occurs.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

You don't have to swear on a Bible in court if you don't want to. Blame Hollywood for propagating that myth.

Affirming vs. Swearing Oaths in Court

Court scenes in American movies, television, and books typically show people swearing an oath to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Usually they swear an oath "to God" and with a hand on the Bible. Such scenes are so common that most people seem to assume that it's required, but it's not. You have a right to just "affirm" that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

No gods, Bibles, or anything else religious need to be involved.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

If you study political trends and language, you may have noticed that at one point the Left tried to incorporate the same propaganda techniques as the Right, and failed miserably. They were not radical enough to pull it off and they did not have a stranglehold on the media as was required.

Instead they moved their policies to be more moderate in hopes that they could pull-in more "reasonable" people that refused to follow the extreme.

That's one of the reasons I laugh when I hear someone opine on the Left's propaganda. What propaganda? They are terrible at it. The Right on the other hand, well, we can see how well that works.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I think the Republicans are going to go gangbusters on Christian issues like this until the primaries are over, then they'll flip-flop and begin to act more moderate during the actual race against a Democrat candidate.

Watch, they'll rally the radicals in the primary...then fight over the moderate, middle, and undecided voters against the Democrat candidate. They'll soften up BIG time during the final round. Just you wait and see...

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

a reply to: Kromlech

Good separation of church and state...........Also remove under God from the pledge......It was added in the 1950s.

No child should be swearing a daily pledge to their country with or without god in it. That is brainwashing.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Indeed, people I know that are Democrats don't do well with "propaganda" -- they don't succumb to fear-based memes and advertising. They tend to read more into the issues, and even explore their opponents viewpoints for a larger perspective.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

If you study political trends and language, you may have noticed that at one point the Left tried to incorporate the same propaganda techniques as the Right, and failed miserably. They were not radical enough to pull it off and they did not have a stranglehold on the media as was required.

I was unaware of this having happened before. When was this?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Have we ever had three consecutive Democrats in the WH before?

I'm asking because I forsee the Republicans taking the WH "somehow". I have no idea how, but I'm just basing this on history. I think the Democrats will wind up taking the House later and possibly the Senate. I think the roles right now will reverse.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You don't have to swear on a Bible in court if you don't want to. Blame Hollywood for propagating that myth.

Court scenes in American movies, television, and books typically show people swearing an oath to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Usually they swear an oath "to God" and with a hand on the Bible. Such scenes are so common that most people seem to assume that it's required, but it's not. You have a right to just "affirm" that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

The bible is in the courthouse and can be used........It should not be a choice.......Separation of church and state......Nice try anyway.
edit on 1-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Seamrog

The secular 'progressives' who are decimating our culture and bringing ruin to our once great country. Marx and Engels could not be prouder.

How is asking for consistency and freedom decimating culture or working towards a utopia? This country is great because of it's freedoms, not the culture of it's people...which there are many forms of.

Marx and Engels would be pissed because there is nothing about this country that resembles a communist nation.

I see this as an incredibly selfish, naive worldview. If you lived on your own little earth, this may be a valid concept, but in this reality, it speaks to a relatively narrow experience of a broader world.

Maybe you're right. Maybe letting people be free is narrow-minded and selfish. I wonder of the founding fathers were so selfish that they wrote the constitution to please themselves, rather than lay the groundwork for individuals to be free.

link   

The bible is in the courthouse and can be used........It should not be a choice.......Separation of church and state.

Can is a far cry from must.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Indeed, people I know that are Democrats don't do well with "propaganda" -- they don't succumb to fear-based memes and advertising. They tend to read more into the issues, and even explore their opponents viewpoints for a larger perspective.

You've got to be kidding. Don't succumb to fear based memes? Have you been paying attention to the gun control debate? AGW deabte? The healthcare debate? Every budget debate since before the Clinton Administration--Republicans want seniors to eat dog food or choose between food and medicine ring a bell?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The bible is in the courthouse and can be used........It should not be a choice.......Separation of church and state.

Can is a far cry from must.

I would sit and spell out the million ways this could cause issues but I will leave it simple.......Separation of church and state is a simple concept and now lets follow it. The bible can be used.......RIGHT.......It should not be in the courthouse.
edit on 1-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

What you are seeing is Progressive ideals being pushed on the following masses while the masters at the top form Oligarchies. The progressive ideals keep people in line using fear weakness. TPTB push the rights of the masses for a reason......I love how people cry about a one world government and than call themselves progressives.....Irony at it's best.

What progressive ideals? Is freedom and equal application exclusive to Progressive ideology?

Anytime I hear someone chirp about progressives, I can't help but wonder if they have fallen for the propaganda. The "evil progressive" dogma is part of that, you know.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I'm not too sure about your thinking on the Republicans, I really don't think they're that intelligent.
If they were paying attention, or they actually gave a rats behind about winning, they would have become moderate across th board, rejected the right-wing core already, and become a fiscally conservative party.

The fact is, the data shows that the young are rejecting the Republican party all across the country, and millions of those in their 30's and 40's are too, because the public has moved on with same sex marriage and equality while the fundies just keep on flogging that dead horse as if it's getting them somewhere.

I keep saying it, but eventually the Republican party will have to split into two. There'll be the radicals forming a right wing party with no power, and the Republicans will continue with a focus on moderate Conservatism focused almost exclusively on immigration, economics, security and military etc.

Basically, I think if the Republicans were actually smart they would have removed the Tea Party core of fanatics already, come out in support of same sex marriage, and started actively evolving to reflect the public attitudes. They haven't done that, so they're not going to win anything for years to come. Even when they do eventually evolve to be more in-line with public opinion and attitudes they'll probably still struggle to catch up with the Democrats.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The bible is in the courthouse and can be used........It should not be a choice.......Separation of church and state......Nice try anyway.

Definition of can:

1. to be able to; have the ability, power, or skill to:
She can solve the problem easily, I'm sure.
2. to know how to:
He can play chess, although he's not particularly good at it.
3. to have the power or means to:
A dictator can impose his will on the people.
4. to have the right or qualifications to:
He can change whatever he wishes in the script.
5. may; have permission to:
Can I speak to you for a moment?
6. to have the possibility:
A coin can land on either side.

Definition of must:

1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement:
I must keep my word.
2. to be under the necessity to; need to:
Animals must eat to live.
3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force:
You must obey the law.
4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim:
We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty:
I must say, that is a lovely hat.
6. to be or feel urged to; ought to:
I must buy that book.
7. to be reasonably expected to; is bound to:
It must have stopped raining by now. She must be at least 60.

By the way you can also use a koran, or a torah, or nothing. The choice gives the option and doesn't adhere to one religion. That is how separation of church and state works.
edit on 1-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   

The bible can be used.......RIGHT.......It should not be in the courthouse.

Do you not understand the concept of mandatory usage? If some Christian wants to use it, good for them, as long as I am not forced to use it.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join