It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updated List of Fatal Police Shootings for 2015

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Over 400 officers have been killed since 9/11 by felonious assault. I don't remember the exact number, I think it was around 450-460 when I added it up a couple weeks ago. 16 by gunfire this year.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
Would it surprise you to know that we are up 463 deaths by way of police shooting ? are we hot on Saudi Arabians trail of executions ?

No, because criminals and LEOs are both people, and people can be stupid and/or make mistakes.

I was surprised to see on the list how many people were "armed with guns " that were shot , I am skeptical though ...

Of course you are, because you have a preconceived notion as to why LEOs fire upon people apparently based on videos shared on this forum that ignore all of the times LEOs do NOT shoot to kill in life-threatening scenarios, like the one that happened here in Cincinnati a few days ago, where the idiot pointed a loaded firearm at officers, SWAT was called in, there was an overnight standoff, and everyone walked away alive without a shot being fired.

Anyway i figured this list could come in handy for anyone who is currently keeping track of this or maybe it can be used for future threads .

Have a look .... somewhat depressing though .

Updated Fatal Police Shoothing List of 2015

What this link fails to do--and that is of the utmost importance if objectively trying to understand these statistics--is note which of these are investigated as wrongful-death or unjustified-use-of-force scenarios, which would help us weed out the justified shooting deaths from the unjustified ones. If it did that, we'd have an honest picture of the problem that you're implying exists from this data.

But let's break it down, anyhow (yes, I counted by hand...slight errors may occur, like my numbers of races add up to 462):

Of the 463 on this list:
- 228 are white...49%
- 121 are black...26%
- 78 are Hispanic...17%
- 7 are Asian...1.5%
- 5 are "O" (for "Other?")
- 4 are "N" (for "Negro?")
- 19 have unlisted race

- 412 were armed with something (gun: 266, knife: 71, car/vehicle: 27,
toy weapon: 17, machete: 6, sword: 3, shovel: 1, hammer: 1,
hatchet: 1, nail gun: 1...etc.) ...89%
- 51 were unarmed...11%

- 125 had "signs of mental illness" (with an unknown criteria that determined this)...27%

- 23 are female...5%

What all of this breakdown tells me is that this narrative of evil cops out to shoot unarmed black people is a load of crap. Hell, just the narrative that they're out to shoot unarmed people is gibberish...or that they shoot mostly minorities out of racist intent. Hell, even just the narrative that LEOs are out to shoot to kill is a load of crap, as 89% of these people were armed with something (85%, if you remove the toy weapons). And even unarmed people can be deadly, so even that can't be used to speak to the justification of the shooting.

The bottom line, here, is that the statistics paint a VERY different picture from the rhetoric you hear on this forum or on cop-bashing sites and in videos. If only the information was a little better, it'd give us that much more of a clue as to the reality of the situation concerning officer-involved shootings.

My eyes hurt from counting all of that, now :|
edit on 1-7-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Can you just copy and paste that whole post, save it, and post it whenever necessary?

Excellent post.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

But isn't it true that most department have the option to report?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Well, I could, but that would ruin the fun of having to do all of that counting over again, now wouldn't it?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I don't think that this information is derived from the FBI statistics, as it would have to wait until next year to get those...something tells me that these are "watch dog" stats compiled by people keeping an eye on this type of event as reported by the Washington Post (since the author, John Muyskens, appears to work for them and the OP's linked page says its location on the site's directory is "washingtonpost/data-police-shootings."

It's probably incomplete and inaccurate, but with that many entries, assuming they're correct to the best of their knowledge, it should be a relatively decent indication of what is happening out there.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

keep in mind that info/report on everyone one of those deaths most likely came from the LEO that killed the suspect.

I wonder how much of the info is accurate .

Is that thinking Objectively ?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Whats concerning to me about that list is the number listed as armed with toy weapons .Seriously , that is more than a few.Can anyone give me a reason why you would want to go after someone or the police armed with a toy weapon ?

Yes...because toy weapons (especially toy guns) are easy to manipulate to look real (Tamir Rice...even if losing the orange tip was an accident), and it's nearly impossible to tell if someone is about to shoot you with an invisible make-believe bullet or a real one.

When put in that situation, it's either them or you--if you want to get home to see your family, it better not be you.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

keep in mind that info/report on everyone one of those deaths most likely came from the LEO that killed the suspect.

Is that thinking Objectively?

Absolutely--it's important and intelligent to maintain some sort of speculation, but right now, I'm going with what you provided, assuming that it's correct because a major publication's name is attached to it.

But at the same time, it's quite easy to verify if firearms were possessed by the individuals claimed (you have all the pertinent data you need to research each and every one, if you want to do the leg work). If not, it's unfair to simply speculate for the sake of ideological belief.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I'm sorry but to use Rice as a case subject is just insulting.

They shot that kid dead before even thinking of exiting the car......

edit on 1-7-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
463? Out of 330,000,000 people. So far this year 63 cops have been killed in the line of duty. Out of less than a million. I suck at math. Someone else can do the percentages but there's a HUGE difference. If a death happens with a cop, chances are much greater that a cop will die.

www.odmp.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

So this is acceptable?

Care to give us the stats for the whole of Europe?

That might be comparative.........or would that burst the bubble?

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

So this is acceptable?

Deflection and obfuscation will not lessen the fact that in this type of situation the cop is more apt to end up dead IN THE US. That's what the OP is about.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Is that thinking Objectively?

Absolutely--it's important and intelligent to maintain some sort of speculation, but right now, I'm going with what you provided, assuming that it's correct because a major publication's name is attached to it.

But at the same time, it's quite easy to verify if firearms were possessed by the individuals claimed (you have all the pertinent data you need to research each and every one, if you want to do the leg work). If not, it's unfair to simply speculate for the sake of ideological belief.

Realistically I highly doubt ill be able to get any type of detailed record of each shooting .

The fact remains that 400+ people have been killed by LEO's this year.

I am not saying that some were not justified , on the contrary , I am positive some were ,however I am skeptical about them all being justified .

To be fully Honest I truly believe that USA would be on a top ten list of the most aggressive LEO's,hands down .

The LEO's will continue to do what they do and the moral compass of the private sector will continue to diminish ,thus breeding more crime and more Fatality's.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
the cop is more apt to end up dead IN THE US. That's what the OP is about.

Maybe they have some of the blame too?

Action-reaction etc.

I'm not condoning it but who actually started the violence first? Serious question.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Gothmog
Whats concerning to me about that list is the number listed as armed with toy weapons .Seriously , that is more than a few.Can anyone give me a reason why you would want to go after someone or the police armed with a toy weapon ?

Yes...because toy weapons (especially toy guns) are easy to manipulate to look real (Tamir Rice...even if losing the orange tip was an accident), and it's nearly impossible to tell if someone is about to shoot you with an invisible make-believe bullet or a real one.

When put in that situation, it's either them or you--if you want to get home to see your family, it better not be you.

Of course. And it probably would not be me. I live in an open carry city.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

So this is acceptable?

Deflection and obfuscation will not lessen the fact that in this type of situation the cop is more apt to end up dead IN THE US. That's what the OP is about.

I respect your Opinion on this,however I disagree respectfully.

My Op is about a list of fatality's by LEO's .

I don't know of the circumstances surrounding their deaths we can only speculate based on the info that has been provided in a written report by the LEO .

And this would be the problem because without an external private investigation we have assume the LEO is telling us the truth in the report .

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

So this is acceptable?

I respect your Opinion on this,however I disagree respectfully.

My Op is about a list of fatality's by LEO's .

I don't know of the circumstances surrounding their deaths we can only speculate based on the info that has been provided in a written report by the LEO .

And this would be the problem because without an external private investigation we have assume the LEO is telling us the truth in the report .

Are you debating the number(63) officers killed in the line of duty? I can't see how that can be faked.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Obviously not all of them are justified. That's why at least one cop is on trial for killing a man. Should more be on trial for it? From where I sit, yes.

But the narrative that cops are out gunning down unarmed citizens left and right, up and down, six ways to Sunday is false. Gunning down too many? Yep. Getting away with it? Yep. But is it what MSM and some on ATS make it out to be? Nope.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I'm sorry but to use Rice as a case subject is just insulting.

They shot that kid dead before even thinking of exiting the car......

Give me a GD break...it's not insulting at all, it's pointing out that his toy gun had lost the orange tip because he had apparently taken it apart for cleaning or something.

I never said the cops did nothing wrong in that case, although I've watched the video and...never mind, we're not going to derail this thread over your hurt feelings.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join