It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Making Millions More Americans Eligible for Overtime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
About time are you kidding me? Overtime and making 26k a year give me a break.

The rule would raise the salary threshold below which workers automatically qualify for time-and-a-half overtime wages to $50,440 a year from $23,660, according to an op-ed article by the president in The Huffington Post.

I know I know, they will cut jobs the apocalypse will happen people will actually have to get paid enough money to live on while they work 70 hours a week. The horror!

sourcs

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

If you are not in commissioned sales and you accumulate all your hours in the same state . Salaried workers are entitled to overtime and have been for a very long time .

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Most sources are saying this can help up to 5 million American workers. Hard to see how anyone can complain about this. (Not saying you're complaining, just perplexed that there are people here who will undoubtedly be against it.)

Obama has a proposal to make nearly 5 million workers eligible for overtime pay

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I can foresee my company abolishing/restructuring certain positions that are currently salaried.
I can also see the company policies changing to reflect salaried positions requiring more hours per week. The minimum is 45 now.
No one who is salaried only works 45 hours consistently. More like 60 on average and 70 + for quite a few.

No one would ever raise a fuss though, lucky to be working at all...

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yea someone making less than 50k a year working 70 hours a Week is a complete joke

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
When I was in a full time reserve slot (civil service) we were eligible for overtime... Never allowed to have it which meant a higher workload for the other shifts.

Just because your eligible doesn't mean anyone will get it.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well that will be nice for folks like me , in theory. I work six days this week and will have between 60-70 hours depending on some variables.

I do have full faith in some ( not all) business owners to figure out a clever way around this tho.

But I took the job full well knowing this would happen from time to time. If I dont like it I'm free to leave or start my own business. But for now this job takes care of me ,and my family. So until I actually do something to fix the problem I cant really complain about it.

However I wouldnt argue with the overtime if it came flowing in. My bosses could honestly afford it.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well that will be nice for folks like me , in theory. I work six days this week and will have between 60-70 hours depending on some variables.

I do have full faith in some ( not all) business owners to figure out a clever way around this tho.

But I took the job full well knowing this would happen from time to time. If I dont like it I'm free to leave or start my own business. But for now this job takes care of me ,and my family. So until I actually do something to fix the problem I cant really complain about it.

However I wouldnt argue with the overtime if it came flowing in. My bosses could honestly afford it.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

If you are not in commissioned sales and you accumulate all your hours in the same state . Salaried workers are entitled to overtime and have been for a very long time .

The FLSA exempts broad categories of “white-collar” jobs from minimum wage and overtime requirements if they meet certain tests regarding job duties and responsibilities and are paid a certain minimum salary. These categories of employees are commonly known as “exempt” employees and include executive, administrative, and professional employees
source

In order for an individual to be considered a bona fide professional, the employee’s primary duty must consist of the performance of work (1) requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field of science or learning
VI. Special Cases

A. Highly Skilled Computer Employees. Highly skilled employees who have achieved a level of proficiency in the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly-specialized knowledge in computer systems analysis, programming, and software engineering are exempt as professionals

There are many, many exceptions to these rules. Above is just the one that guarantees that in my field, there will never be a cent of overtime paid.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

That's true there are exceptions and there are many of them but the vast majority of people do not fall under them .

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Did you read --- and comprehend the post. Did you give any consideration to what it actually said.

Salaried workers - "BELOW A THRESHOLD" which has remained the same at $24K since the 1970s if not longer. A time when that was a decent salary for a new college graduate starting on a designated career path.

Some days I have a low tolerance for people who expect everything to stay the same. That think what was true years ago is still true. That don't bother - lazy buggers - to even attempt to educate themselves about the facts and just assume 'they KNOW what's what and that's all there is'.

I KNOW all email recepients SHOULD acknowlege receipt of the correspondence - but that's not standard business practice today. I know written Thank Yous should be sent for gifts - but it ain't the way.

I KNOW the confederate flag is a symbol and if not for some honest and forthcoming ATS members - I wouldn't have any idea of the other things it can symbolize for others.

The Law changes, every day. The Rules change everyday. And so should we.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

The FLSA exempts broad categories of “white-collar” jobs from minimum wage and overtime requirements if they meet certain tests regarding job duties and responsibilities and are paid a certain minimum salary. These categories of employees are commonly known as “exempt” employees and include executive, administrative, and professional employees
source

In order for an individual to be considered a bona fide professional, the employee’s primary duty must consist of the performance of work (1) requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field of science or learning

VI. Special Cases

A. Highly Skilled Computer Employees. Highly skilled employees who have achieved a level of proficiency in the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly-specialized knowledge in computer systems analysis, programming, and software engineering are exempt as professionals

There are many, many exceptions to these rules. Above is just the one that guarantees that in my field, there will never be a cent of overtime paid.

Thank you for the clarification on the actual law. Would you know when the minimun salary threahold was last raised so I can compute what in would be in current dollars. I'll bet the new threshold (as with new minimum wage laws) comes no where near what the amount would be if inflation and productivity increases were included.

As a considerattion to your last statement (and I assume some sort of IT position) that you look into Unionizing. In the sixties into the seventies most IT was considered a professional trade requiring a high level of education but today it is in truth a 'skilled trade' in all but the most high level positions.

I believe this 'sea-change' to call people professionals was a deliberate stragety to phase out Unions and just compensation. We see how more and more 'productivity' is required of each 'labor' unit for the same cost to the company.

Why where, so-called 'white-collar' (office workers in fact) denied Unions and collective bargaining? Because more and more jobs where in fact office work and companies didn't want to pay overtime. And back in those days not many office jobs required OverTime pay, it was rare. Companies endeavored to keep OT to emergencies and hire sufficient personel to do the work in a quality manner in 40 hours a week.

Think on these things....

edit on 30-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Yes I read and comprehend the post. All I did was add additional information that I have experienced personally in my life during business dealings .

And what I stated is a fact . Actually the first time I saw that applied was in the early 80s at a company I work for and I was making less than $24,000 a year. In the 90s we had a business come into town that was underbidding everyone . I found out he had his workers on salary and was screwing them so I told his workers about it. ( -1 competitor ) lol

I speak from hands-on experience when I divulge my information the vast majority of the time .

edit on 30-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yes I read and comprehend the post. All I did was add additional information that I have experienced personally in my life during business dealings .

And what I stated is a fact . Actually the first time I saw that applied was in the early 80s at a company I work for and I was making less than $24,000 a year. In the 90s we had a business come into town that was underbidding everyone . I found out he had his workers on salary and was screwing them so I told his workers about it. ( -1 competitor ) lol

I speak from hands-on experience when I divulge my information the vast majority of the time .

It may well be your experience but your experience doesn't make it a valid agrument against this change that is long - long overdo.

Can't you be happy for all the people this change will help. It won't help me whatsoever - but I know plenty that it will. Will business have to find new 'loopholes', sure - but it gives 'non-union' workers a good bargaining chip. It's time some of these things started happening.

The world is a whole lot bigger then you and your backyard. It takes effort to see - it's both terrible and wonderous.

This is a Good Thing for people in the US - hard working people that have earned their fair share of their own productivity. And it will make businesses of all sizes look at their practises.

Especially tech business where the model is 'buy-em up, use-em up and kick them out'. Lots of bells and whistles, but mcDonalds all the same.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I'm very happy with all the people this is helping. I just wanted to get extra information out in case anybody else is being screwed by their employers and help more people .

Believe it or not everything people say is not hateful or negative.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Where's all this additional money going to come from?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

They will raise taxes on Beezer.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
After all the fighting about a higher minimum wage, now they come up with this plan to give salaried people more.

How will that work out when it's time for raises at the low hourly end?

But good for them just the same !!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

But NO one is making any money there's no money being made in the economy.

Oh wait just the super rich are making money.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: xuenchen

But NO one is making any money there's no money being made in the economy.

Oh wait just the super rich are making money.

Aren't you confident that President Obama is doing the best he can?

As president, my top priority is to strengthen the middle class, expand opportunity and grow the economy.

he always talks in opposites !!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join