It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Senator Charles Schumer: Make Swatting Federal Crime

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm still not sure that there is a "Secret" Word that leads to swatting and that only the op knows it. The rest of us will have to live in darkness the rest of our lives...never learning of this mystical, "Secret" word.

I would think any mention of a real crime, kidnapping, explosives, terrorists, murder-Suicide, children being harmed would do it. I don't think there is a "Secret" Word.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: eisegesis

Hypothetically, yes...

But it's also a damned if you do or don't scenario.

Twitch originally had a password to log into people's streams. They removed it with the promise of adding it back in the future and I haven't checked to see if the feature is back. Could they have been persuaded to go public in order to be monitored? Any data is good data, whether it lead to arrests or ad revenue.

Wait... so all the Twitch site has to do is ... remove the anonymity?

That would be a lot better than new Federal Legislations. Wouldn't it?

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I'm still not sure that there is a "Secret" Word that leads to swatting and that only the op knows it. The rest of us will have to live in darkness the rest of our lives...never learning of this mystical, "Secret" word.

I would think any mention of a real crime, kidnapping, explosives, terrorists, murder-Suicide, children being harmed would do it. I don't think there is a "Secret" Word.

See this is why I don't like secrecy in any form.

The miss conceptions are worse than the secret.

It ... is ... not ... a ... "Secret" ... Word.

Just look at it this way, and I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself. The police, 911 call center, and dispatchers have this thing called "caller ID". It does require a little hacking.

There.
I told you where the "detonator" fits, without saying exactly how to arm it.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

actually the first SWAT unit was form in Philadelphia by PPD in the early 60's because of all the bank robberies that were happening at the time. later the guy in LA used the Watts riots and the Austin University Bell Tower as a reason for the teams.

not long after LA started, more and more police departments formed their own.

i always thought that was common knowledge. people have been talking about that since i was a young kid.
here is a a wiki.

History
1960s Los Angeles creation
According to the Historical Dictionary of Law Enforcement, the term "SWAT" was used as an acronym for the "Special Weapons and Tactics" established as a 100-man specialized unit in 1964 by the Philadelphia Police Department in response to an alarming increase in bank robberies. The purpose of this unit was to react quickly and decisively to bank robberies while they were in progress, by utilizing a large number of specially trained officers who had at their disposal a great amount of firepower. The tactic worked and was later soon to resolve other types of incidents involving heavily-armed criminals.[2][3][4] Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Inspector Daryl Gates has said that he first envisioned "SWAT" as an acronym for "Special Weapons Attack Team" in 1967, but later accepted "Special Weapons and Tactics" on the advice of his deputy chief, Edward M. Davis.[5]
SWAT

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Thank you hounddoghowlie,

I hadn't known that there was a pilot SWAT program in Philadelphia prior to LA popularizing and publicizing it.

Mike Grouchy

For you.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I dunno why your trying hide how it's "done" when Boogie's video you posted tells everyone what you're afraid of saying.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I dunno why your trying hide how it's "done" when Boogie's video you posted tells everyone what you're afraid of saying.

That ... is on him.

I ... on the other hand ... have standards.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

But you posted the video. It's like being afraid to tell someone how to make a pipe bomb but give the link on how to do it.

Either way, I have faith that ATS readers aren't apart of the small crazy minority who would do such a thing so I think it's going to be okay.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

And the thought of hiring more intelligent killers who double check a target wasn't a factor in this decision.

Why the **** not?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: VforVendettea

And the thought of hiring more intelligent killers who double check a target wasn't a factor in this decision.

Why the **** not?

It is difficult to explain without coming off as ageist, our sounding like I'm down on older people. But simply put people of the Senators age really have zero clue.

This is one of the few streamers who actually makes money. Or did, anyway.
His dad fails to understand this, and is easily wound up by the other brother.

The Senator should sit down and shut up. Maybe the kids should get to have a say on this one. And the elders can learn something, for a change.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Sorry, but that video looks totally fake. Also, With that many views, he's an entertainer, sadly...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Sorry, but that video looks totally fake. Also, With that many views, he's an entertainer, sadly...

Now that the messenger has been cast in a questionable light,
care to comment on the message?

Discrediting the messenger is not the same thing as invalidating the point.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
This is so politically motivated. It is already illegal to "swat" someone. When people do these swatting crimes, I'm sure they use their own phones and give their name and SSN too right? Yep, a new federal law is really going to help. Schumer is one of the biggest dolts in the country though, no surprise here.
edit on 30-6-2015 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
This is so politically motivated. It is already illegal to "swat" someone. When people do these swatting crimes, I'm sure they use their own phones and give their name and SSN too right? Yep, a new federal law is really going to help. Schumer is one of the biggest dolts in the country though, no surprise here.

It's even worse than that.

Say he does get Legislation. And it passes. And it is signed into law.
By that time the online streaming world will have moved on.

These Politicians are just too slow for "teh interwebs".

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

So what do the police do when they can't call the house because they don't have a land line?

If they did find a working phone number, what if the streamer didn't hear the phone because they had their headset on and were playing?

Knock on the door? (Not safe to do when you don't know if the situation is real or not)

Even if the police did knock on the door, what if the streamer was the only one home and didn't hear the knock because they had their headset on?

Please tell me how you would personally handle this situation. Please account for every variable as well (the resident doesn't have a land line, they can't hear the phone or knock, etc).

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: torqueythepig

So what do the police do when they can't call the house because they don't have a land line?

If they did find a working phone number, what if the streamer didn't hear the phone because they had their headset on and were playing?

Knock on the door? (Not safe to do when you don't know if the situation is real or not)

Even if the police did knock on the door, what if the streamer was the only one home and didn't hear the knock because they had their headset on?

Please tell me how you would personally handle this situation. Please account for every variable as well (the resident doesn't have a land line, they can't hear the phone or knock, etc).

Your asking me what I would do?

I would disband all the SWAT teams.

Paid standing armies in our cities and towns is not American.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

edit on 30-6-2015 by torqueythepig because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2015 by torqueythepig because: never mind

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

i don't understand it? People prank call the police?

They're "pranking" the person on camera, but in reality you don't need someone on a webcam. What ends up happening is people find out the streamers name and location, then they call the police as an informant and get a SWAT team to break in, arrest the person, and bust everything up in the name of a drug bust or whatever else they're told is going on. The person who this happens to then gets to watch and laugh as the persons webcam captures and streams it all. Sometimes however it doesn't happen on stream and people simply do this to get revenge against a random person they know. At the last place I worked one of the students successfully called SWAT against an instructor because he didn't get a good enough grade. The instructor (a friend of mine) got the typical rough treatment we all know about from the police and his dog was shot (though it didn't die), all because a student was being an asshole.

This is something that is a very real issue, and should be highly illegal.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
That's terrible.

Poor Gym teacher. Hell, poor dog.

I feel that nobody is with me on this; but what happened to due process?
Isn't it already illegal to give false testimony to the police?

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
It is illegal. Did you not see the earlier posts of arrests made and convictions obtained?
To me this just doesn't rise to the level of a crime in need of Federal protection.
Under bits of several post 9/11 laws, all law enforcement agencies are supposed to cooperate with each other so state lines shouldn't be an issue.
Seems to me that a simple memo or "heads-up" email with the videos attached to all SWAT teams and their dispatch agencies should do the trick. Oh---and those memos/videos should be distributed to prosecutors and judges as well.
It is a horrible thing and the people doing it should spend some serious off-line time behind bars or breaking rocks in the hot sun. They should also be required to re-reimburse the SWAT team whose time they wasted and pay a hefty fine.

On the other hand, police should not be able to take advantage of a fake call and make arrests for things they never had probable cause to pursue. There's a legal term for that but at the moment my brain isn't bringing it up from memory.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join