It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern US Culture and Heritage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

That town in particular wasn't the best, you lived there if you couldn't afford elsewhere. It was a pricier trek to bigger towns & cities for work, so if you couldn't afford the trek, you were still significantly poorer than other spots. My parents lived there for the cheapness, not because of opportunities or lack thereof. I don't necessarily hate southern people, I did live among them a quarter of a century. There's simply an inflated sense of superiority based on location, which is as stupid to think is valid as it is for someone to think a bossy New York cashier is more superior. It's one-upmanship. Plain & simple. Not culture.

And see what I mean about people getting butthurt in the south over having it pointed out that there's no discernible culture there? A "distinct dialect" or accent of American English doesn't make a culture any more than manners does, but it was still postulated earlier in the thread. That's like saying the Minnesotan accent or the Boston accent is what defines the culture.
edit on 6/30/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Culture is the characteristics and knowledge of a particular group of people, defined by everything from language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts

www.livescience.com...

Culture is everywhere around this whole planet where there are humans.

As I said in one of my first posts in this thread: A culture can be defined by people's countries that they live in, but there can be diversity of culture within that country too. I used Great Britain as an example as you have the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish there.

America is made up of so many different people from so many backgrounds, that you even have unique cultures due to a blending of old and new things.

There is art and music that originated from here in the South, and is part of our culture down here. There are types of foods that originated down here.

The list goes on and on.

You can deny if you want to, but that doesn't change the fact that historians would look at you cross-eyed if you repeated your post to them.

Each region of America has many different unique cultures in it. And new ones developing over time, all the time.

I very sorry that you are so jaded, especially about the South. However, it does not change the fact that yes: the South not only has it's own unique culture, but also has several different cultures within it.

And we're not alone. The same can be said for many different places in the US, and for every country around the world.

You don't have to believe me. Ask people that work in this field and see what they say.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well I'm sure you're not the only person ever to spend time someplace and completely overlook cultural nuance.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

There are pretty big difference in language across the US..

Just linguistically, where you live shapes how you talk in terms of how you pronounce your words and even what words you use. Language is one of the markers of culture and can mark you as an outsider when you move elsewhere.

I think this commercial illustrates it:

Both are speaking English, just different regional dialects from different cultures in the US.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I just have to throw grits into the conversation too.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Grits!

Grits n eggs with biscuits!

Just about as good as biscuits n gravy!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Having fun
Fishin
Drinkin
Smoking big buds
Smoking
Drinkin
Livin
Not worryin
Care not
Sweatin
Screwin
Chillin
Just bein

You know, the exact opposite of running around a rat cage in the rat race to get a better apartment and the newest iPhone that hooks up to your butt and tells you when you should poop and what to eat next.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

you bet.
in boston youre wicked right.

im from the south so i say soda. everyone else up here says pop. i never crossed over.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Grits!

I've only had grits once...at a Cracker Barrel. I wasn't sure what they were. I thought they screwed up some cream of wheat.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yah, for most people, grits tends to make them think "WTF?"

It's a big staple down here in the South. People put all sorts of things in their grits: jelly, syrup, butter (that's mine), ketchup, you name it.

Tried cream of wheat once when I was 8. I said "BLECH!" and have never touched it since. hehehehe.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

LOL...boiled peanuts....yep. I hadn't thought of those. Never looked for them when I was up there but I can walk to the corner 300yds from my house here and have 2 veggie stands to get them from.

And sweet tea is only a big deal when I want my tea sweet. I have given up asking for it outside the south so it's not that big of a deal, but it would be a real strange thing if you walked into any store or restaurant here and they didn't have it.

Boiled peanuts???? Really - just the thought.... Boiled, in the jacket? or shelled?

Yep...boiled in shell. Many ways to do it and when I do it at home I add a lot of Cajun seasoning.

Don't knock it til you've tried it. I guarantee you will be making them yourself after you do....very addictive.

And I will second the not buying the canned grocery store ones. The places near me are veggie stands that boil them on site. My favorites are the ones I make at home.

Do you start with raw or roasted peanuts?
edit on 1-7-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
grits are best with shrimp.
just sayin

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I was born and raised in New York, enlisted and got out, now live in North Carolina.
Southern Culture that I have seen is most people are welcoming, friendly and care about others. As I drive down the road, random people wave at you. When I first moved here, my neighbors came over and helped us unload our trucks and invited us for dinner afterwards.
So to me, Southern Culture equals hospitality, friendliness, respect and community.

edit: by the way, I NEVER touched grits til I moved here, now I LOVE em
edit on 7/1/2015 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I realize this is a couple weeks too late, but Cracker Barrel does grits WRONG! Now, I love CB, and when I am sick and want comfort food, CB is what I have in mind. But they cannot make good grits or country gravy. I won't eat it. Oh, and the cornbread sucks. I like the sweet kind and that bitter stuff makes me feel like my mouth is shriveled like a mummy.

As an added disclaimer, I only eat there a few times a year.

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

I realize this is a couple weeks too late, but Cracker Barrel does grits WRONG! Now, I love CB, and when I am sick and want comfort food, CB is what I have in mind. But they cannot make good grits or country gravy. I won't eat it. Oh, and the cornbread sucks. I like the sweet kind and that bitter stuff makes me feel like my mouth is shriveled like a mummy.

As an added disclaimer, I only eat there a few times a year.

LOL!

They have some kind of baked apple desert that is insanely good!

I also prefer sweet corn bread...also, I don't like whole corn in my cornbread. I know, I know, I'm weird!

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

LOL...boiled peanuts....yep. I hadn't thought of those. Never looked for them when I was up there but I can walk to the corner 300yds from my house here and have 2 veggie stands to get them from.

And sweet tea is only a big deal when I want my tea sweet. I have given up asking for it outside the south so it's not that big of a deal, but it would be a real strange thing if you walked into any store or restaurant here and they didn't have it.

Boiled peanuts???? Really - just the thought.... Boiled, in the jacket? or shelled?

Yep...boiled in shell. Many ways to do it and when I do it at home I add a lot of Cajun seasoning.

Don't knock it til you've tried it. I guarantee you will be making them yourself after you do....very addictive.

And I will second the not buying the canned grocery store ones. The places near me are veggie stands that boil them on site. My favorites are the ones I make at home.

Do you start with raw or roasted peanuts?

My apologies for just now responding...

Raw peanuts in shell..

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and oregano oil...

I am partial to a touch of ghee in the dish as well....

posted on Jul, 18 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Grits!

Very, very close.....put some cheddar and bacon in....done.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

grits with redeye gravy

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
grits are best with shrimp.
just sayin

Ever had them with pork belly? Maybe a bit of "pepper" jelly?

Sriracha, buttermilk, fried chicken nuggets....maybe some cholula....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join