It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern US Culture and Heritage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I'm asking an honest question and will not argue with anyone's point of view.

Just what is the southern cluture and/or heritage that is being celebrated by displaying the flag. What are the characteristics and values that are being promoted and honored?

I've gathered a few things that could use fleshing out so that I understand such as "Honor" and "Duty".

I hear a lot of people saying the flag doesn't represent this or that but little about what it actually means to a southerner.

My mother was southern and love stories of the south. Me, I've never been and so have never experienced her charms.

So educate me... please.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
YET, Another thread on the "CONFEDERATE FLAG"
Let it go !!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm not southern, but I think if a southern person chimed in they'd say southern ideals are:

1. freedom

2. originality

3. self-sufficiency

4. determination

Among other things...

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Slavery, racial segregation, Jim Crow, intimidation, terrorism, racial birthright, racial purity.

Adherence to those memes in the face of any threat and no matter who suffers. It's a declaration of war.

edit on 29-6-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
I'm asking an honest question and will not argue with anyone's point of view.

Just what is the southern cluture and/or heritage that is being celebrated by displaying the flag. What are the characteristics and values that are being promoted and honored?

I've gathered a few things that could use fleshing out so that I understand such as "Honor" and "Duty".

I hear a lot of people saying the flag doesn't represent this or that but little about what it actually means to a southerner.

My mother was southern and love stories of the south. Me, I've never been and so have never experienced her charms.

So educate me... please.

I am a southerner...always have been. The flag doesn't really matter any more to me than any other flag. I look at it as it matters to some, and some more than others....just like anything in your life....why does a picture of your kids or your first car or whatever matter to you. There is a memory associated with it, or a feeling associated with it. It is likely similar in all, but will vary to a degree for each. Some may have had family that fought in the Civil War and it holds a place near and dear to them....others may just respect the history of it, and others may just like the way it looks....

Honestly....it's a flag....I have a MUCH harder time understanding why anybody even cares at all. Just because they are not flown at a government building, and can't be sold in some big stores, doesn't mean it will go away....irrational fears from those that hold it near to them I think....

Anywho....like I said....its a flag.....who cares.

+30 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I find this statement a great example of ignorance......

Slavery, racial segregation, Jim Crow, intimidation, terrorism, racial birthright, racial purity.

And to refute those I would say Southern Culture was shown beautifuly , at how SC handled the mass shooting down there......

With everyone black and white coming together to mourn, lift up, praise, offer support, and celebrate their diversity, with their humbleness, faith , forgiveness , and sense of community......

That is southern culture and values.....

Anyone else that tries to make us out as a bunch of racist is clearly agenda driven

How these people in SC responded is a shining example of Southern Culture

its more disgusting to see people try to put us in a different box, despite the the above mentioned
edit on 6/29/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
Let it go !!!!

No it's not 'another' confederate flag thread - at least it is not how I intend it to be.

I really want to know what is special about southern culture.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I am a southerner...always have been. The flag doesn't really matter any more to me than any other flag. I look at it as it matters to some, and some more than others....just like anything in your life....why does a picture of your kids or your first car or whatever matter to you. There is a memory associated with it, or a feeling associated with it. It is likely similar in all, but will vary to a degree for each. Some may have had family that fought in the Civil War and it holds a place near and dear to them....others may just respect the history of it, and others may just like the way it looks....

Honestly....it's a flag....I have a MUCH harder time understanding why anybody even cares at all. Just because they are not flown at a government building, and can't be sold in some big stores, doesn't mean it will go away....irrational fears from those that hold it near to them I think....

Anywho....like I said....its a flag.....who cares.

Thank you - I understand the comfort thing.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I find this statement a great example of ignorance......

And to refute those I would say Southern Culture was shown beautifuly , at how SC handled the mass shooting down there......

With everyone black and white coming together to mourn, lift up, praise, offer support, and celebrate their diversity, with their humbleness, faith , forgiveness , and sense of community......

That is southern culture and values.....

Anyone else that tries to make us out as a bunch of racist is clearly agenda driven

How these people in SC responded is a shining example of Southern Culture

its more disgusting to see people try to put us in a different box, despite the the above mentioned

Thank you, this is what I am looking for.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That flag isn't a big part of most Southerners lives. Just a few people that see it as a symbol of the South I suppose.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Glad i could help brother........

I was born and raised in the south, I understand the unrest about the flag from both perspectives........

Even with my southern roots tho ive never owned one, guess i never thought about it lol its just a flag to me.....

however like i mentioned above there is so much more that is held dear here in the south...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Let it go !!!!

A lot of things...we still open doors for people here. My kids say please, thank you, yes ma'am, yes sir, and are always respectful of others as long as they receive respect in return. Southern family values, true southern family values, are not seen anywhere else.

I am proud to be a southerner, but like I said earlier....it's a flag.....

I guess on the flip side of your question you could ask why people hold on to the belief that southerners are racist haters since that all started when the flag was around....and is FAR removed from my generation and even farther from my kids.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Let it go !!!!

No it's not 'another' confederate flag thread - at least it is not how I intend it to be.

If you want to know what's special about southern culture....

Come visit

Charleston would be a good place to start, actually.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
An opinion from the UK.

The US has a huge presence here, in movies and culture, for many it has permeated our lives from childhood. A lot of my favourite movies as a child were American, there were 3 tv channels and few British movies, there was almost a weekly movie watched, from Elvis movies, to westerns, to musicals, most having a major southern presence, and I don't recall any being about slavery, in fact I recall a few that were anti slavery as part of the story. Then there was the dukes of hazard etc that most boys here followed and was a saturday staple. The history taught in schools here includes MLK and American civil rights, mostly focused on the south, it is portrayed as a humanitarian act.

All of these things shape the perception of the US around the world with a sort of warm glow rather than any feelings of it being a terrible nation of evil people.

For the US to now sully that southern nation as being intrinsically evil and their flag as a symbol of that evil, detracts majorly from it's international reputation and really impacts on the impression it gives. I know the reality is not movies and sunshine in the US but it has a reputation as the south being friendly that it is ruining itself by it's accusations of it's people.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm not raised as a Southerner and never lived there, but I am a bit of a Civil War buff.

To me, that flag is a symbol of just how viciously we can turn on each other, and I don't mean that in a bad way but a cautionary one. We went through a period of years where we forgot that we were countrymen and treated each other almost as badly as it's possible to treat other human beings.

And then, we had to somehow learn how to forget that and try to be one nation again. That's another part of that flag. The battle to try to mend what was broken in many ways.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Let it go !!!!

A lot of things...we still open doors for people here. My kids say please, thank you, yes ma'am, yes sir, and are always respectful of others as long as they receive respect in return. Southern family values, true southern family values, are not seen anywhere else.

I am proud to be a southerner, but like I said earlier....it's a flag.....

I guess on the flip side of your question you could ask why people hold on to the belief that southerners are racist haters since that all started when the flag was around....and is FAR removed from my generation and even farther from my kids.

When you say 'true southern family values' I don't know what you mean.

I was taught to say please and thank you, sir and ma'am too and far from the South. Taught to respect and help my elders and protect youn'uns by both my southern mother and northern father.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Let it go !!!!

Come visit

Honestly, I'm not sure I could take the weather - I don't do well in high humidity.

But I will put in on my list when I figure the weather thingy out.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Let it go !!!!

Come visit

Honestly, I'm not sure I could take the weather - I don't do well in high humidity.

Just go in the early spring or late fall or during the winter months.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Let it go !!!!

Come visit

Just go in the early spring or late fall or during the winter months.

What that person said. Just don't go in the dead of summer and you'll be fine.

That being said, I made it through Parris Island summer camp. A few days in Charleston won't be the end of the world

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Humidity ain't nothin a glass of sweet tea won't fix.

edit on 29-6-2015 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join