It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got Any Audioholics Here?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

It sounds like you have a great start! I am especially interested in the bamboo tone arm, but I am highly partial to it as a material!

It also seems like you know "the deal." Putting the thing together is one thing, having it live up to our standards is where the work, and inevitable frustration, happens. That particular phase really sorts some people from the DIY kick.

I look forward to any updates you might have! It might even inspire me to design a new line of speakers.. Something I haven't done in quite some time!

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Speakers eh? I may need some assistance with crossover design. The cabinets I can do but electronics isn't my strong point unless I have destructions.

cheers

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Can us Audophile headphone users check in?

I've been messing with headphones for a solid 3 years ever since I spent money on Beats only to realize I was buying a brand. I've been moving into V-Moda and Audio-Technica as I can afford something nicer these days. I've been saving up a bit here and there so I aim for something pretty high end Sennheiser with an appropriate inline amp

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Totes!

Senny's are awesome. I love the Klipsch ones, but they don't play nice when you have any kind of amplifier that is not a desktop unit. They hate working with my Fusion, and when I owned Yamaha products it was the same shade of difference.

Have you considered the Schiit Fulla as an inline DAC? It's a pretty nifty little dude.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So I got my V-Moda M100 Crossfades in. Got then at a super deal and holy cow. Now for a good DAC. Question being...is my Invidia on my ASUS ROG gaming laptop good enough digitally to support my listening habits without a DAC? I am about to plug it in and try. I guess the reason I am asking is would a DAC make a difference?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
So I got my V-Moda M100 Crossfades in. Got then at a super deal and holy cow. Now for a good DAC. Question being...is my Invidia on my ASUS ROG gaming laptop good enough digitally to support my listening habits without a DAC? I am about to plug it in and try. I guess the reason I am asking is would a DAC make a difference?

Would it ever occur to you that the above sounds like technobabble to some of us? It looks to me like the posts I used to see on Head-Fi, after so many of which, I quit the site.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

originally posted by: KyoZero

Would it ever occur to you that the above sounds like technobabble to some of us? It looks to me like the posts I used to see on Head-Fi, after so many of which, I quit the site.

Then educate yourself and google what you don't understand. That's how I learned.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Shugo

Cheeeeeeeeeee

Second

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

Then educate yourself and google what you don't understand. That's how I learned.

I do "google" some things (actually, I use Bing) but the fellow's post contained the major turn-off, the word "gaming." With that, I was done. Wrong audio culture.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

100% would agree.

When your idea of be-all-end-all audio is a pair of TurtleBeach headphones, or Bose multimedia speakers - that's generally a red flag. You can't buy high-end audio at a regular Best Buy store...it doesn't work that way.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes, interest in video games surely indicates ignorance in audio..

Hope all that is sarcasm..

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Would it ever occur to you to maybe ask/request nicely that I don't abbreviate instead of being rude? Now MAYBE if you read and DIDN'T make assumptions and ask a question or two before pushing your superiority complex because I used the word "gaming," then maybe we'd have a discussion and you'd learn that I am moving up into the better headphones and such. Also, I use the V-Moda on multiple sources...not just as ASUS....that ok? I bought these for music.

Shugo

Anyway...you had recommended a DAC. Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked about the gaming laptop is because when you mentioned DAC, I did some searching and found some info that said depending on your sound card, you may or may not need a DAC for that. So I wondered for the times I am not mobile and listening to my music through my laptop, would a DAC be needed? I still want to try one and the brand you mentioned and get a full on audio system started. Again, money money :-)

Need it!

Thanks Shugo I'll keep looking into it

Thanks jtretnt

I really wasn't looking to sound uppity by any means. I mean the V-Moda are really the first good headphones I've ever had. Compared to a lot of you all I have a long way to go. But that's part of the fun

Serdgiam

Thank you...no the headphones are purely for music. I just often play my music while on the laptop

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Sorry, my bad. I was just knee-jerking over my Head-Fi exit after 3500+ posts...nowadays I hardly use headphones.

Maybe I can make up for what I said by recommending a good, cheap, portable DAC: the DAC Destroyer. They are, I understand, hand-made in Canada, and I use one myself between my iMac and a Yamaha M-35 amp. It has a USB input and RCA outs (left and right) - also headphone outs, but I haven't tried that. Well, it's small but not maybe not really portable, as it runs off a wallwart. Oh, I almost forgot - it sounds killer!

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

actually....
no I'd like to make an apology as well....I've been really stressed out lately and I am not perfect....terribly sorry...I mean that

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Obviously

However, there's some truth to the statement. It's not all a farce. Generally gamers are more interested in the visual aspects than the audio aspects. There's nothing wrong with that. I'll sit here and admit my own ignorance in video...like I only recently understood what 1080i and 1080p's difference was.

So, you know...there are some truths mixed with the sarcasmic fibs.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

precisely....I have to admit I am a wee bit more fascinated with the visuals in War Thunder than the audio when I am in game

posted on Jul, 13 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I used to do full home theater installs, ISF cals, etc. I get it
I don't see any specific area where ignorance is more common though. Anyway, sarcasm and text are anything but obvious ;P And I am a gamer.

As for the DAC, my suggestion is to always buy new gadgets from places with a good return policy. Not everyone will be able to tell the difference, and for those that don't, there is zero reason to have it in the chain. In dealing with quite a few clients, I learned that even changes that seemed glaringly obvious to me are not always perceived by another. In those cases, I am an advocate of saving money, even at the cost of "audioholic rank."

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

I used to do full home theater installs, ISF cals, etc. I get it
I don't see any specific area where ignorance is more common though. Anyway, sarcasm and text are anything but obvious ;P And I am a gamer.

As for the DAC, my suggestion is to always buy new gadgets from places with a good return policy. Not everyone will be able to tell the difference, and for those that don't, there is zero reason to have it in the chain. In dealing with quite a few clients, I learned that even changes that seemed glaringly obvious to me are not always perceived by another. In those cases, I am an advocate of saving money, even at the cost of "audioholic rank."

So true - what you hear and what impresses you, it's very personal and subjective. My experience with headphones, for example: I have met Sony headphone enthusiasts, even to the extent of buying expen$ive amps for them, but I have yet to put a Sony on my head (at any price level) that I could stand to listen to.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Don't forget there are multiple Sony lines though. The ES line of Sony gear is some of the most amazing products on the market today. But you don't see the type of advertising for the ES gear, that you do their standard gear. Same thing applies to Pioneer Elite electronics vs. their standard line.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Are there ES headphones? I did have a very early ES digital-to-analog converter, and the build quality was amazing, but it up and died on me and I swapped it away.

edit on 24-7-2015 by Lazarus Short because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join