It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blacked out Super Cobra helicopter flying over my house.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Defenders have a 5 bladed rotor system that turns slower than earlier OH-6s which makes them a bit quieter. MD/Hughes worked very hard in the 1980s to reduce rotor noise. This lead to helos like the MH-6 and AH-64s that are significantly quieter than comparable helos of the time. Today, most of the sound comes from the engine and tail rotor not the main rotor.

The Coast Guard flies the HH-65 which doesn't have a tail rotor at all. It uses a fenestron which is a fan in a ring in place of the tail rotor. The HH-65 doesn't sound like a helo at all and all you hear is the engine/transmission.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

THANK YOU !
I have REALLY wanted to know what that was called. FENESTRON.
I keep seeing all the future Sci Fi Vehicles with these and I often wonder if those would be quieter.
NOW I know.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Tail rotor damage/failure accounts for about 20% of all of the helicopter crashes. The fenestron protects the TR and is more effective.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

The -65 wails. The first couple times you hear it the hair on the back of your neck stands up.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

But it don't sound like a helicopter. The H-53 sounds scary.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't want to invade this thread, but I have had similar experiences.
A few times a summer I have a black (cant be sure do to the distance) helicopter fly over, sometimes they circle, sometimes they hover. Appears to be a blackhawk. They seem to be about 1,000 feet or so above. I do grow a large amount of vegetables at home, and I do live in the woods. Really no one else around me grows much and I use hoop houses which are usually up during inclement weather.
I can understand that it may look like I'm growing weed, which I am not. Here is a picture I took with my phone last summer.

Does the dea use AH-1 helicopters?

Edit: I don't know how to make the picture expand to full size
edit on 2731297201531America/ChicagoThu, 02 Jul 2015 18:27:29 -0500Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:27:29 -050027 by nepatitan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
That's a blackhawk and I would bet that they are looking for pot. The NG flies these types of missions to support local law enforcement as a routine thing. In this area pot growers use large corn fields to hide their crops. The pot looks very different from the air so that's why they circle to get a good look.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join