It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The DaVinci Code Pros & Cons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
After reading "The DaVinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" I have been an avid Dan Brown fan and have read all of his books. Regardless of how much merit the books have, it did take very much research to write these books. My question to those of you who have read these books along with reading the books trying to debuff them is how strong is the evidence supporting the ideas and in contrast how strong is the evidence contradicting his novels? I have not read any of the books trying to debuff his information so if you have any books in mind that do a good job please list them. After reading the information in his book it seemed pretty convincing to me, but then again I did not read the other books. What were your ideas on the books and for those of you who are Illuminati/Mason coneseurs, how close is he in describing the history and dark backgrounds that they have? Do you believe that something like the bomb in the Vatican could ever happen in regards to recent global events and if you do could you please explain what the events are that lead you to believe that this could be possible.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
anything is "possible" . probable is another question.

as for possible when i was young maxwell smarts shoe phone, dick tracys
wrist communicator, lasers, talking computers, phones that you could see
who you were talking to,space travel, all were science fiction, as was a personal
computer, and voice operated motor vehicle. all are today science fact or very close to reality.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Writers who do 'alternate history' stories and novels generally have to do a good job of research. The 'code' stuff and conspiracy stuff is basically made up (Umberto Eco's novels are a good example) but a lot of it is based on reality.

They do research the conspiracies as well. But it's definately a work of fiction.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hello Kata

In a nutshell I can some up some things for you

Priory of Sion: A creation of Plutard to enhance his self worth.

Templars: True (we all know this) not CONNECTED to Masory in the biblical sense. Killed off by a pope due to thier accumulated wealth and power, not because of some farsical protection of the grail, they were bankers, a modern day MBNA if you will.

Opus Dei: True group that do mutilate for the lord (kinda strange) but no great killers for Christ, if you want to see those, go to the vatican.

The Grail: Tough one, could be a cup, could be a blood line, not really known.

To sum it up, a great story, with SOME truth to it, however I believe he confused the PROIRY with the FREE MASONS in some cases. However neither are sworn protectors of the grail.

Most books rebuffing the Da Vinci Code are written by religious Zealots who expect you to ASSUME that Jesus was single, Mary M was not his wife, and that it is a biblical truth. No very convincing, these books, unless you are a highly religious person, we all know to take the bible with a grain of salt, believe what you wish to belive.

My two cents:

Does the Catholic church protect secrets and burn pieces of the Dead sea scrolls to protect thier image? Yes, of course they do, they have more skeletons in thier past than you could count on your hands and toes. Just ask a Catholic scholar about Oct 13, 1307 and see what they say.

Are the Mergovians (spelling I know, it's early) the decendants of Jesus? Your guess is as good as mine, doubt it.

Priory of Sion? Around since the 1950's, nothing more nothing less.

In a sum, GREAT BOOKS, virtual reality, and some truth, however don't go changing your life, greater truths will be told.

Regards

The Wiz

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Dan Brown is quite a good writer, but his books are mostly fantasy with just a few true facts to spice them, and lots of speculation. Great books, but only that.

[edit on 28/12/2004 by OniShiro]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I want to read that book, but it seems quite long. Is it mainly fiction or is there a lot of cool stuff. I heard some things were true (ex. SEX could be seen on the Lion King by the Star's formations). I have heard good reviews from that book. Aren't they going to make that into a movie?

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yes, they are making the movie starring Tom Hanks.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Read the Rule of Four. It's far more compelling and displays far superior writing. DaVinci Code was pure drivel. Predictable, silly and poorly written. Brown manages to plug Angels and Demons at least a half dozen times in the first few chapters. I half expected the character to say "which you can read all about in Angels and Demons, available in paperback at bookstores everywhere"

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
DaVinci code was an enjoyable book to read, much fact and probably quite a bit of fiction, made obvious by a rather anti-climatic ending as he found it necessary to protect the mystery behind the heart of his story. I would not doubt Jesus had children, as I too believe he was married to Magdalena, although not because of anything Brown wrote. While I am convinced the Catholic Church has gone to great pains to hide the truth of Jesus from the world, I do not believe in the Grail, or in a cover-up of his descendants, as the Church�s endeavours to rewrite his history first occurred between 100 and 300 years after his death. Had he been the messiah, his descendants or blood relatives, particularly his brothers and sisters (at least 6), would have eventually surfaced a very long time ago to sing his praises.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
DaVinci code was an enjoyable book to read, much fact and probably quite a bit of fiction, made obvious by a rather anti-climatic ending as he found it necessary to protect the mystery behind the heart of his story.

Just wanted to let you know that there is word of a second DaVinci Code coming out. I think I heard he is writing it now.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kata
I have not read any of the books trying to debuff his information so if you have any books in mind that do a good job please list them.

Probably the best is "The Da Vinci Hoax" by Carl Olson and Sandra Miesel.

www.ignatius.com...

What were your ideas on the books and for those of you who are Illuminati/Mason coneseurs, how close is he in describing the history and dark backgrounds that they have?

Not even in the same ballpark. In order to write an entertaining and interesting book, Brown has borrowed from conspiracy theory and his imagination, instead of facts. The good thing is that at least Brown has admitted that, acknowledging that it is a novel, i.e., a work of fiction.

"The Da Vinci Hoax" and similar books were written not necessarily to call Brown a liar. Brown isn't a liar any more than Stephen King or any other novelist. But the weird thing about this book is so many people have believed it was real, and a few have even founded new religious cults based on it.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
there is a sequel in the works. why wouldn't there be? the damned thing has been on the best seller list for about forever.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There's a movie in the makes too........and a lot of threads on this subject here that I have seen before......interesting reading...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kata

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
DaVinci code was an enjoyable book to read, much fact and probably quite a bit of fiction, made obvious by a rather anti-climatic ending as he found it necessary to protect the mystery behind the heart of his story.

Just wanted to let you know that there is word of a second DaVinci Code coming out. I think I heard he is writing it now.

Maybe you are referring to this?

La Profezia (The Prophecy)--Random House, has a "website" for Robert Langdon, and it talks about the new "research" that Langdon is working on

www.randomhouse.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I heard some things were true (ex. SEX could be seen on the Lion King by the Star's formations)

This is absolutely true. This occurs when Simba plops down on pride rock (as a grown lion) and then the dust kicks up (it temporarily spells "SEX" then dissapates...) right before he speaks to the spirit of Mufasa...

For another shocker, watch Aladdin. Right before the song a whole new world, turn the volume up to max. Plain as day, you'll hear Robin Williams' voice saying "All good teenagers, take off your clothes!"...hehe...

Now, just because some fiction has some REAL instances in it though, doesn't make the whole thing true.....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KataJust wanted to let you know that there is word of a second DaVinci Code coming out. I think I heard he is writing it now.

Thank you. I believe you maybe speaking of the illustrated version, which is already available. It depicts many of the scenes mentioned in the book.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
no, he's working on a sequel.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
THe Knights Templar did become the Free Templars after they were disbanded in the early 1300's after teh attacks within France and the non support of the Pope. Did they then become the Free Masons? That would be a link within the book, correct?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
esdad71 WROTE:

THe Knights Templar did become the Free Templars after they were disbanded in the early 1300's after teh attacks within France and the non support of the Pope. Did they then become the Free Masons? That would be a link within the book, correct?

Hi esdad71, there is really no connection between the templers and the masons in the sense you are leading too. After 10-13-1307 the templers did not disband, they merely became a much more cautious unit with many name changes (speaking of thier last names) and less contact with the noble whom they knew to be part of the reason for the Pope's agression (they were "pardoned" by the Pope in 1314 by the way). So the answer is no, there is no connection between the Freemasons and the templers at that time.

A truly ugly time for the catholic religion in my opinion, amongst the many.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by ShiningWizard II]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I wonder how many ideas came from "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" in Dan's Brown's book. Wasn't he sued by the authors for plaigarism?

After watching the documentary on the DaVinci Code, I was so disappointed that some details were over-looked. Dan Brown is implying that it's a woman sitting to the left(or Christ's right) in The Last Supper. Really? I see no indication of breasts, even though the figure does look a little more feminine that Christ. The woman is standing over to the right(Our right) in the painting and she WAS holding a baby. I think that's been proven. The disciple on Christ's left is pointing upward, meaning "you'll transcend", whereas the disciple to the right of the 'feminine' figure is showing "you'll lose your head". With the figure on Christ's left we also see the intwined fingers as we do in DaVinci's "Virgin of the Rocks". I'll get to that soon. Over time this painting has faded a bit, but I wonder if the two figures were meant to be mirror images of each other. Here's link to the Last Supper.en.wikipedia.org...(Leonardo_da_Vinci)

I'm not disputing there is a woman and Mary carried the holy blood, but I definitely think DaVinci wanted very badly to reveal something. When we look at his painting "Virgin of the Rocks", we see two babies. If people will look closely and actually see what DaVinci is trying to say, they'd realize that the two babies are twins. In the documentary of The DaVinci Code, only one of the babies is shown. They completely leave out the other. The baby on our left is the one that was crucified, because he is holding the cross and he is also showing "There are TWO of us." The baby on the left has intwined fingers, meaning "TWO" or we came into this world together.
There are two versions of this painting by DaVinci. en.wikipedia.org...

Mary is revealing quite a bit as she is encompassing her babies and her mid-section that is high-lighted reveals the most. What is that shape of the blanket? Look closely. DaVinci definitely knew what a woman looked like between the legs. She is showing that both babies came from her womb.

There are two versions of this painting. St. Uriel is pointing to the one that was crucified. The monoliths show the location of this cave? In the original bible, Mary gave birth in a grotto, which was a cave.

Is it in the Rossylin Chapel that Mary and Joseph are each holding a child?

I think DaVinci definitely did know some mysteries that we will never know. Nevertheless, I love a mystery.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join