It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal Bigotry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
What is the definition of a bigot?

noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

Liberals have that down these days. They go a step further than disagreeing with people with other opinions, and basically try to make those opinions illegal. It should be okay to be against abortion, to be against gay marriage, to like the confederate flag, to be in denial of climate change - these are all opinions that people should be allowed to have.

I don't personally share most of those opinions, but it is definitely bigotry to think that my opinions are the only ones that matter. And that really annoys me about other liberals today.

How long until the liberals start to have opinions that I disagree with? Well, it already started with the confederate flag issue. I don't think that a flag with a diverse history behind it should be banned. I will agree that part of that history involves slavery. Well, part of the U.S. history involves invading countries without pretext, should we ban our flag as well? What about corporations that abuse overseas workers or don't pay a living wage? Should their insignias be banned as well?

What if a living wage law gets passed 200 years in the future, and McDonalds, which pays a living wage at the time, has its insignia banned because it didn't pay a living wage 200 years ago when it wasn't a law?

I have ants in my apartment. How long until liberal animal-activists start trying to make my opinions about killing ants not politically correct? I don't know the answers to these questions, but believe me, that isn't too far-fetched. I've met some crazy liberals before. As I said, I lean to the left, but I notice the bigotry the left has these days, and it pisses me off. They need to simmer down a notch.

Now, along the same lines, I support gay marriage and I think that two men or two women or what-have-you have the right to be married. I don't think it is okay for other people to try and limit what those consenting adults do. I am against the opinion of those against gay marriage. I might even engage in civil discussion or a civil argument with that person about it. But I'm not going to ban their view on the issue or defriend them on Facebook, or fire them from a job.

edit on 29amMon, 29 Jun 2015 07:15:16 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29amMon, 29 Jun 2015 07:16:03 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

+39 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
What is the definition of a bigot?

noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

Liberals have that down these days. They go a step further than disagreeing with people with other opinions, and basically try to make those opinions illegal. It should be okay to be against abortion, to be against gay marriage, to like the confederate flag, to be in denial of climate change - these are all opinions that people should be allowed to have.

You're allowed to have those opinions, no one is stopping you from having your beliefs.
What part of this do the conservatives not get?

There is no law banning your opinion.
There is no law preventing you from having a belief.
There is no punishment for people who have ignorant views.

Here's the deal, what you're really complaining about is not that the "liberals" are in any way preventing you from having your beliefs, you're angry that the public doesn't agree with you and your opinions are rejected by the majority of decent people.

Right wingers really need to learn that being told you are wrong is not an infringement on your freedom of speech and opinion. It's called debate and political opposition, freedom of opinion and speech is not just for one group of people.

I can disagree with you, and I can state it publicly, that is not PREVENTING you from having your opinion.
I can express views in opposition to yours, and it's not PREVENTING you from following and expressing your views.

The difference, of course, is that governments are supposed to reflect the views of the public and act in their best interests. That's what governments are doing right now in passing same sex marriage laws, in removing a symbol of ignorance and hate from government offices, and through allowing medical services to those who need them.

None of this impacts on your existence, but it does impact on the lives of those it ACTUALLY AFFECTS.

Again, the right wing are not angry that they're being prevented from having their views or opinions (because they're not prevented from having those opinions and views in any way), they're just angry that those ignorant opinions and views are rejected by most of society.

Employers also have the right to fire employees who tarnish their company. Like it or not, if you work for a private entity and you spew things that your employer finds unacceptable, they have a right to fire you. If people don't like it, they need to keep their ignorant views to themselves or express them only in appropriate places.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Employers can also fire people who don't agree with their conservative political viewpoints. I've seen it happen. Do you agree with this?
edit on 29amMon, 29 Jun 2015 07:30:28 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

+49 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

See?

There's the bigotry.

It's not just that we have opinions. It's that they're "ignorant" and "stupid" and therefore it gives the rest of society the right to openly punish us for having them and you think that's right. That's intolerance.

To people like you, we don't simply disagree. We are evil for not thinking exactly as you do.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I have ants in my apartment. How long until liberal animal-activists start trying to make my opinions about killing ants not politically correct? I don't know the answers to these questions, but believe me, that isn't too far-fetched. I've met some crazy liberals before. As I said, I lean to the left, but I notice the bigotry the left has these days, and it pisses me off. They need to simmer down a notch.

You kill ants? You monster!

Seriously, don't worry about it. What you are seeing is some small issues being over-hyped to make people think there are important differences between Republicans and Democrats. After seeing the Obama presidency of hope and change, a lot of people that supported Obama are wondering if it would have been significantly different under a Republican.

Sorry to say, you've got over another year of this coming. Main stream media will try to focus our attention on issues designed to divide people, while giving little coverage to issues that should unite us.

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Give me a break, do you know what projection is? Like most republicans, you have it completely backwards. Is it liberals who claim all Muslims are murdering terrorists? Is it liberals who want legislation to govern who somebody has sex with? Was it liberals who blocked every single thing this president has tried to accomplish by invoking the filibuster in the Senate. Before you lie about it, go back over these threads on ats and look. I guarantee you almost every time you find intolerance, hatred you will see they are conservatives.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Employers can also fire people who don't agree with their conservative political viewpoints. I've seen it happen. Do you agree with this?

Ah, that's more complicated than you're attempting to suggest.
Being gay is not an "opinion" or a "view", any more than being black is an opinion or view.

So, an employer cannot fire someone just for being LGBT, any more than they can legally fire someone just for being black, or Asian, or European.

Learn the difference between an opinion and a facet of being.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

See?

There's the bigotry.

It's not just that we have opinions. It's that they're "ignorant" and "stupid" and therefore it gives the rest of society the right to openly punish us for having them and you think that's right. That's intolerance.

To people like you, we don't simply disagree. We are evil for not thinking exactly as you do.

Again, you need to learn the difference between an opinion and a infringement on your rights.
My opinion that someone is backward, ignorant or stupid is MY OPINION. Having this opinion does not prevent someone else from having their ignorant opinion

Nothing I have said here is preventing you from having your views. No one is stopping anyone else from being an ignorant person.

You've proven my point again.
You're not upset that you are being "prevented" from having your opinion, you're actually upset that the majority of people do not agree with you.

Instead of accepting that your views are rejected by most of society, you claim that this rejection is a "conspiracy" against you, and that this somehow translates to you being "silenced" or "repressed".
Again, no one is stopping you from having an opinion, it's just that your opinion is rejected by most of society.

Have your views, have your opinions, but don't whine and complain that you're being "repressed" and your "rights" are being infringed upon just because other people tell you you're being ignorant.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

NO punishment for having opposing views? Seriously? Liberals cyber bully businesses and people all the time. Sure, there's no law again having a dissenting opinion... but if you haven't seen a pack of liberals turn on someone who doesn't share their viewpoint you must be blind.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

You can't fire someone for being gay, but I never suggested that. I said, "people who don't agree with their conservative political viewpoints." This would basically mean someone posting to Facebook something that offended their employer.

I suppose hypothetically this could be a picture of a man kissing another man. I haven't heard of that happening, though.
edit on 29amMon, 29 Jun 2015 08:05:27 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29amMon, 29 Jun 2015 08:05:55 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I'm really getting tired of the people complaining because they are socially shamed for being bigoted assholes. Is that really the BEST complaint that people have now? "Nevermind the fact that I'm spewing a bunch of racist/bigoted nonsense, YOU shouldn't be making fun of me for doing it!" It's called a taste of your own medicine. Deal with it. Freedom of Speech.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

When I see posters on this site stating that churches should be denied their 1st Amendment rights because their religion states that gay couples should not wed, then I have to agree with you.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Liberals don't understand. Like most bigots, they think because there are no legal ramifications for their actions then it's completely okay. It's okay for them to call your opinions stupid because their opinions doesn't have any consequences as far as they're concerned, but it's not okay for you to disagree with them? Just because there may not be immediately apparent consequences doesn't mean you're not intolerant.
It's not as simple as an opinion being politely rejected by what you've somehow determined to be the majority of society. I see verbal attracts, attempts to ostracize, etc ALL. THE. TIME. The idea that just because there aren't legal consequences makes it okay is ridiculous.

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I've yet to see a poster say that churches should be denied their 1st Amendment rights because of their religion. Literally EVER. I see a TON of conservatives CLAIMING they are being denied, but that's mostly because they don't know what the 1st Amendment says and entails.

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I've yet to see a poster say that churches should be denied their 1st Amendment rights because of their religion. Literally EVER. I see a TON of conservatives CLAIMING they are being denied, but that's mostly because they don't know what the 1st Amendment says and entails.

then you should read more.

I can't name names, but I've seen the posts.

Quite telling, actually.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
One thing is for sure. Both parties are intolerant of the other.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Well even if they exist, they aren't indicative of the entire liberal population's views on this website. Heck I'd say they aren't indicative of even 5% of the liberal population's views on this website. Most supporters of the recent gay marriage ruling have ALL said that they are fine with a church denying a gay couple from getting married.

So here's an idea. How about going and finding a few of those posts and reread them to see if it was really a liberal saying it or a conservative building a strawman about liberals?
edit on 29-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

And the replies to such posts?

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
Give me a break, do you know what projection is? Like most republicans, you have it completely backwards. Is it liberals who claim all Muslims are murdering terrorists?

No, you just paint all white people and all Christians as monsters. For whatever reason you protect Islam.

Is it liberals who want legislation to govern who somebody has sex with?

There is no legislation doing that.

Was it liberals who blocked every single thing this president has tried to accomplish by invoking the filibuster in the Senate. .

Tell me, why were Democrats heroes for doing this but Republicans are evil for doing their jobs?
edit on 29-6-2015 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well even if they exist, they aren't indicative of the entire liberal population's views on this website. Heck I'd say they aren't indicative of even 5% of the liberal population's views on this website. Most supporters of the recent gay marriage ruling have ALL said that they are fine with a church denying a gay couple from getting married.

So here's an idea. How about going and finding a few of those posts and reread them to see if it was really a liberal saying it or a conservative building a strawman about liberals?

Notice how you hold conservatives to a standard that when applied to you, is suddenly out of bounds?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join