It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are You Working On?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Constant self-refinement is the key towards spiritual progression. Without persistently and perpetually sculpting the self, never can that particular blend of inner evolution occur.

To that end I try picking specific objectives for myself and focusing on them for days/weeks/months at a time. For instance, now I'm striving towards becoming more comfortable helping out complete strangers--trying to get myself at ease with walking up to random people on the street who're in need and lending a hand. I think it's working. Yesterday I helped the neighbor of a friend (a complete stranger) move his refrigerator, something I wouldn't have done several months prior.

Focusing on tiny elements of the persona and resculpting them seems a far more effective method than picking a general goal like "be a better person." It allows you to focus on a specific actionable objective rather than a vague overarching concept.

So I ask you, ATS: What are you working on to improve yourself?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Maybe it's me, but I've never felt uncomfortable offering help to strangers. If I see an elderly person carrying something, I ask if I can help. If I see a man loading something heavy, I jump in and help. Maybe it's because I was raised in the South, where we're taught to help when we can, I don't know. Maybe it's small town thing, where everybody at least recognizes each other, if not actually know them. One thing I have noticed in the last, oh say 10 years, is that if you approach a younger woman and offer to help, you get a "what are you up to" look almost every time.
What am I working on? Honestly?
I'm recently separated, with an impending divorce and I'm working on getting my life back together as a single man after almost 20 years. It's going amazingly well so far. I realized that, just because she doesn't want me, doesn't make me a bad guy and it doesn't mean there's not a beautiful woman out there, waiting for someone just like me.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Trachel

Maybe it's me, but I've never felt uncomfortable offering help to strangers. If I see an elderly person carrying something, I ask if I can help. If I see a man loading something heavy, I jump in and help. Maybe it's because I was raised in the South, where we're taught to help when we can, I don't know. Maybe it's small town thing, where everybody at least recognizes each other, if not actually know them.

This is awesome--makes me wish I'd been raised in a southern small town. I was raised in an affluent suburb in the north, where if something needs getting done, people hire someone to manage it. Thus I learned at an early age to mind my own business, and it's only been in recent years that I've started deprogramming myself in more benevolent directions.

Regarding the divorce, sorry to hear about it. But you'll be better off, long term. Believe there's a plan.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I try and help anyone who asks or looks as though they may need help. I pay it forward. I had a flat tire about a year ago, and didnt have a jack to get the flat tire off, I started cussing and getting really mad, then I calmly said God please help me. And I swear just like that, a pick up truck pulled over, first thing the man said was, do you need a jack, I replied yes thank you very much, Wondering how he even knew i didnt have a jack is beyond me. Then he asked me if I would like the four used tires that were in the back of his truck, in reasonable condition as well. I couldnt believe it, I feel as though my plea for help was definetly answered and then some. I was already living a life, trying to be as helpful to my fellow people, but for it to be turned around and someone to assist me, was something I wasnt used too. I felt such an amazing feeling when that man helped me, now I always help or at least ask if someone needs help when a car is stranded on the side of the road. Its amazing when I look back at that weird moment, I felt as though before all of that, I had never really had an experience of asking for help from god or a higher power, and just like that help was there. It defintley touched my heart. Be nice to people, offer help were it is needed and you'll be amazed at what you get in return.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

Amazing story, and especially impressive that it inspired you to start helping more people.

Thanks for sharing!

new topics

top topics

join