It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find this short video strange.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   

This is kinda too soon in my opinion. Anybody care to address this?

I know people are tired of this subject. This car was important to me. I'm a car guy.

Just want some other opinions.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
i find it kinda depressing that the duke's car will now be forever different.
Maybe it's just that i hate change, but i get upset when people retcon things to such an extent.
and it's a typical american thing to point a finger at a specific thing as if it represents/ embodies the entire problem (Bill Maher for 9/11, and a stupid piece of cloth for racism)

As for it being "planned" i doubt it frankly.
It doesn't take much to make those model cars, and without having to paint the flag on the roof, it's even faster and cheaper to do so.
it sure is FAST but i would wait before jumping to some conclusion

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I've seen the updated commercial, as well, and although I don't really like it, (as it was iconic in my youth and not for hatred, as far as I could ever tell) it was to be expected, I guess.

I DO wonder, though, when someone is gonna ask a bakery to make a confederate flag cake, only to be refused, and what will be the outcome of ensuing discrimination case. (I'm sure someone's already made the same connection, but I haven't seen it yet, so I figure I'd stoke the fire and pose the question.)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I appreciate your opinion.

The questions are, how long do they take to import? When was the announcement made by the Warner Bros.? Just kind of mind blowing for me really.. I am not jumping to conclusions, I just want some answers. I work in manufacturing, at one of the lowest technological levels, and decisions still take weeks.. Just strange to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This is so depressing. In the context of the show, the flag meant rebelling against Boss Hog and Rosco. Guess I better grab the Series on DVD for posterity, before they are all destroyed

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really concerned here with the ripple effects of what has been done in regard to the flag. Well, not in this thread anyway.

I'm questioning how quickly these could be manufactured, shipped out, distributed, stocked, when the decision to remove it was barely a week ago.

I really don't wish this to go the way of all of the other threads regarding the flag.

More interested in traceability, time-frame, and how quickly things could have been implemented in regard to the supposed event that caused the augmentation of this cultural icon.

JAK

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
From the box shown:
Round 2 LLC
4073 Meghan Beeler Court
South Bend, IN 46628

round2corp.com/

1969 Dodge Charger General Lee
Item No: MPC706
Release Date: June 2009

Direct image link
edit on 29/6/15 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Disregard my previous comment... I forgot there was a thread already about Wal-Mart not doing the C-flag cake, but doing ISIS...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JAK

Wow, so this was released without the flag in 2009?

Thanks for that bit of information.

Not sure if that makes it less or more strange for me.

Why would the company be selling it sans-flag so long ago. Licensing issues?

JAK

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I couldn't say why they made that choice, if you really want to know you could email them and ask.

That discovery took me all of about two minutes though, I'm sure the person who recorded the piece could have found the answer just as easily.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JAK

Good point.

I submitted an inquiry.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

This probably strikes me very differently, than it does someone from the States, because I have no investment in the missing flag. As a person who likes automobiles of that period however, I always thought that the paint job on the General Lee was pretty crappy. There is one good paint colour for an old school car with high chrome trim and fenders, and that is matte black. It makes the chrome pop out like mad, and decreases the visibility of the car during the evening, which makes way more sense for a pair of crazy out laws like those Duke boys!

Let's face it, a bootlegger is what the General Lee was modelled after, you know, one of those old moonshine runners from the prohibition era. Its a muscle car built for speed, employed to counter authority with burning rubber and flying bits of gravel. A bootleggers vehicle should be difficult to pick out of a crowd, appear somewhat understated, and be difficult to spot at night time. The General however, was visible from space, and immediately recognisable. Never made much sense to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Let's face it, a bootlegger is what the General Lee was modelled after, you know, one of those old moonshine runners from the prohibition era. Its a muscle car built for speed, employed to counter authority with burning rubber and flying bits of gravel. A bootleggers vehicle should be difficult to pick out of a crowd, appear somewhat understated, and be difficult to spot at night time. The General however, was visible from space, and immediately recognisable. Never made much sense to me.

That time was the age of the muscle cars so probably not built for moon shinning.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Wow, how very astute of you. Also I am a fan of flat-black on the old curvy rides.

I watched the show as a kid. Granted.

I wasn't a fan of the show as much as I was the car. I follow cars. I live in a tiny place, and I know people by what they drive. Not always their name.

Thing is, the context of the show isn't nearly as important to me as the notoriety of the vehicle itself. It is on par with the "Vanishing Point" Challenger, the "Mad Max" Falcon, the "Bullitt" Mustang, hell, I'll even throw Herbie in there. There are many more of these iconic vehicles.

Some cars are iconic to a point that even somebody not from here knows them. To change that is strange. It makes little sense.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Harvin

Harvin....

I am not saying that the General Lee was meant to be a replica of an old prohibition bootlegger. What I am saying is that the General Lee occupied the same position within the dynamic of the show, as a bootlegger vehicle would have during the prohibition era, and since it is not just a muscle car, but a modified muscle car, it shares a spiritual origin with a bootlegger, since it was the bootleggers who really pushed vehicle modification to the max, and inspired others to mod purely for fun, rather than to create better escape vehicles.

Look it up, it all connects together.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

For the sake of the show, it was..

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Hey, I know what you mean. I keep thinking every time The Doctor from Doctor Who regenerates, that it would be good if they could keep one actor on for a whole decade, and then do the next. I dislike pointless tinkering as much as the next guy, but like I said, my opinion on the vehicle in question is that its paint job is the least impressive thing about it, and I never much cared for it.

Now, if they had changed the make and model of the car entirely... That might have made me spit. Its a gorgeous machine.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

There are other vehicles that were iconic.

The "Lil Red Dodge" is a beautiful truck that was built.

America of the time despised communism, nobody said "Red represents communist ideals, lets censor this vehicle". It is comparable for this car.

I honestly don't get the ideology behind it.

It would be like censoring the LTD from "The Blues Brothers" so as not to stir the pot on police brutality here.
It might be an LTD... maybe not. I just know it was a police car, and those were a popular police vehicle.

I may be just car stupid, but it seems like people would not take kindly to the idea of changing something so iconic.

edit on 29-6-2015 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

The three Minis from the Italian Job are another set of classics that you should never mess with. Its one of the reasons that I hated the reboot of that film, because they used the modern version of the Mini, which is actually bloody huge in comparison.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Harvin....

I am not saying that the General Lee was meant to be a replica of an old prohibition bootlegger. What I am saying is that the General Lee occupied the same position within the dynamic of the show, as a bootlegger vehicle would have during the prohibition era, and since it is not just a muscle car, but a modified muscle car, it shares a spiritual origin with a bootlegger, since it was the bootleggers who really pushed vehicle modification to the max, and inspired others to mod purely for fun, rather than to create better escape vehicles.

Look it up, it all connects together.

I dont recall the main characters being bootleggers or the car being used for that purpose. They were related to bootleggers and the car was based off a bootleggers personal vehicle but that does not mean the car itself was used for bootlegging as you implied. You are right though, bootleggers used sleeper vehicles.

Bootleggers used Cadillacs too. Junior Johnson drove one through the woods of Caroline. James Dean drove a Mercury ’49. When the cars dies they go to the cadillac ranch.

Some had Eldorado fins, white walls and skirts. Fuelly heads, hurst shifters, with line locks and some had nitrous oxide. But usually retained the original exhaust system so as not to be too loud since that would give them away.

edit on 29-6-2015 by Harvin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join