It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS's rating system change how you post?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I want to make it clear that this post is not meant to be a criticism of ATS's rating system in any way. I'm a big of fan of it, I think it's great.

This is my second go-around at ATS. The first time I was here I didn't give a second thought to my stars, flags, or karma score because I didn't think they were important. After all, what does popularity have to do with the search for truth? But, I was mocked for having ratings that were too low. That scarred me a little and I decided that if I ever returned to ATS, I wouldn't let it happen again.

For me, ATS's rating system does change the way I post. I don't self-edit per se. But, unless I really care about discussing something I don't reply to things I normally would if I know my reply won't get many stars. I feel kind of stupid to be admitting this. But, again, I don't self edit and I want to be totally honest here.

The above does affect this forum in a minor way. I might have 400 posts or more by now if I was commenting like I would on another forum. And, come to think of it, if there are others like me it could have a dramatic impact on ATS's traffic numbers. Something to think about.

I think this is an interesting topic to explore:

edit on 29-6-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The biggest factor that changed my posting behavior was the ATS staff . I came here with some bad habits from interaction on far more unpleasant fourms . I was arrogant, overbearing, condescending, contemptuous and aggressive . Instead of just running me off I think the moderators saw I could contribute meaningfully to this fourm.

They chose to use the carrot or the stick approach to contain me . After a couple of incidents with the stick I am now striving very hard for the carrot.

I love this place and want to be a part of it. I know I'm not all the way there yet but I sure as hell am trying.

So thanks staff!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
A majority of the time I post hoping to have lots of replies and interaction with other members on the given subject matter. To me, that's more enjoyable than stars. I suppose that goes hand in hand though.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I want to make it clear that this post is not meant to be a criticism of ATS's rating system in any way. I'm a big of fan of it, I think it's great.

This is my second go-around at ATS. The first time I was here I didn't give a second thought to my stars, flags, or karma score because I didn't think they were important. But, I was mocked for having ratings that were too low. That scared me a little and I decided that if I ever returned to ATS, I wouldn't let it happen again.

For me, ATS's rating system does change the way I post. I don't self-edit per se. But, unless I really care about discussing something I don't reply to things I normally would if I know my reply won't get many stars. I feel kind of stupid to be admitting this. But, again, I don't self edit and I want to be totally honest here.

The above does affect this forum in a minor way. I might have 400 posts or more by now if I was commenting like I would on another forum. And, come to think of it, if there are others like me it could have a dramatic impact on ATS's traffic numbers. Something to think about.

I don't ever make new threads, but I definitely dont give one thought about the rating system when I make replies. Stars and forum rep mean absolutely nothing lol. But I guess to some it's something "important".

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah2

This is my second go-around at ATS. The first time I was here I didn't give a second thought to my stars, flags, or karma score because I didn't think they were important. But, I was mocked for having ratings that were too low. That scared me a little and I decided that if I ever returned to ATS, I wouldn't let it happen again.

I don't ever make new threads, but I definitely dont give one thought about the rating system when I make replies. Stars and forum rep mean absolutely nothing lol. But I guess to some it's something "important".

I disagree that it means "nothing". I feel that it does show that you are an active member of ATS and that you tend to have relevant and interesting replies and/or threads during your time here. That said, some probably think it's much more important than it is.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I think the Flag function serves a purpose. When you see a topic with a lot of flags it generally means the topic is interesting and says 'Hey, check out this bit of news'.

The starring system on the other hand, to me, shouldn't be a part of it. A discussion about the topic should be unbiased in every way where as when a post has multiple or no stars it says 'Hey, this post is really popular among members or not popular at all'. It also gives the ability for a group of people who agree on a certain idealogy to star each other creating a 'back-patting' kind of culture.

Sure there are members who won't let emotion influence their posting style but there are probably more who do. We are only human, no matter how advanced we think we are there are always social dynamics in play. Whether it be on a forum in cyberspace or real life you are always going to be socially influenced.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Nobody says anything to me about my ratings one way or another. I really don't care about stars and flags. If I see something interesting I post it.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I don't feel it has much bearing on my content. Getting a bunch of stars for a post or flags for a thread is neat, but not necessary in my book. I've been around long enough for a few ratings system changes, but I think the current set up has to be the one that's been around the longest in my time here. It's fun for some, and serves a purpose very well, so I see no shame in shooting for higher numbers.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

A star or flag is a lot better than going to your in-box and seeing this .

Ill-Mannered Post Removed

Actually 2 in 18 minutes which i might add i was not very proud of . However since you like flags and stars i gave you one of each .

Wait , i think to many might have had something to do with my warnings .

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I only care if I get enough stars. I just wish I could hover over them and see who gave me them, so I could follow them and like all their things too

Naww, only half true. I'm too lazy to star them back...

edit on 29-6-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The biggest factor that affected my posts was the Boston Marathon Bombings. Things here on ATS definitely changed for the worse. The silent hand of big brother has definitely been present since then.

Before the Boston Marathon, ATS was a great source of inspiration for paranormal enthusiasts. ATS was a haven where like minded people could pool their thoughts on supernatural occurrences without fear of mass trolling from our peers. Now the trolls are in the majority.

It seems the new management are not True Believers.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I think what's influenced my postings of the last few years - or lack thereof is disinterest and just...total bad taste of the "conspiracy theorist." It was one of those things where, I just was tired of reading it, and didn't have the self control to NOT click the threads that I knew would irritate me.

I've never really cared whether or not my idea was "popular." I think that caring so much about whether or not that's the case makes for a fake personality. To only care about ones own opinion only if others care about it is a cowardly thing indeed.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Ehh....... No.
Couldn't care less about stars, score or Karma count.
What matters are the subjects.

(star quality response on your question?)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Here's a link to an old thread of mine on the same subject:

Here

The answer is 'yes'.

To those members who claim to be uninterested in stars and flags...baloney.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
The whole point of the rating system is to encourage users to make worthwhile posts, so arguably if it doesn't affect their posting behaviour it's not doing its job.
But there is little point in specifically "going after stars", because it's hard to second-guess what will prompt people to give them.
Many of my stars have come from casual, throw-away comments, while the more carefully pondered ones have gone unnoticed.
The best thing to do is to keep plugging away at posting things which make sense, hopefully, and let the stars come as they will.

I value stars and flags most as indirect indicators that a new thread is being read.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

The terms and conditions tend to have more of an effect on the way I post, than does the rating system for contributions made to the site.

Stars and flags are great, but I think if anyone truly comes here just to assemble a galaxy in their own honour, and have flags planted in their name, frankly they are doing it wrong! As I said, it is the terms and conditions which place the most restriction on my posts and their content. I am an awful lot more prone to cussing than my post history would attest

My posts have improved over time, but I think that is rather more because the experience of matching wits in debate, and expanding my intellectual horizons through discussion, has resulted in my understanding of things in the world changing by degrees, since my membership began. Also, I am far less likely to post a text wall these days, than I was in the days immediately after joining!

Other than that, it's just the terms and conditions which have an effect on my posts. Whether people happen to like my opinions, or the way I express them is not something which is central to my enjoyment of membership of this website.

That being said, I think it would be disingenuous of me to fail to state that of course, it is a pleasant experience when one posts something which another member finds useful, or well written, or in some way engaging, and likes it enough to tell one how they feel about it. That is always nice!

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Not at all...in fact I think the stars should be removed and only flags counted. Lets face it there is a huge lack of interesting content lately and we should be promoting creative thread writers.

I know my star count appears to be high but I think i have had several thousand points deducted by mods for what they deemed as bad manners haha. I have never once thought I wonder how many stars or applause points I will get.

I think you can tell many who do want the points...they type in a witty one liner and then boom gone. No debate. Probably why no one reads my crap since it is all too long.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Many of my stars have come from casual, throw-away comments, while the more carefully pondered ones have gone unnoticed.

Same here, and same for probably the majority. So, what is this system achieving?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I don't give a damn about the rating system. I just happen to say a lot of things that resonate with a lot of people so I end up highly rated, but on that same token, there a slew of times where I don't get many stars at all in a thread. I'm not afraid to take the unpopular opinion.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree. I let the T&C shape my posts. That's why they tend to be long, and well thought out. I try not to insult other posters and keep the discussion about their thoughts and opinions instead of about them.

Because of this, I've barely ever been infracted on this website.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join