It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Do We Really Know

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

You make a very valid point but what i was trying to say is, even tho we've been everywhere in the world at least once over time we haven't actually explored all these place like we say we have. To this day there are things that happen in mountains, forest and in the ocean that we simply can't explain so we write them off as anomalies or our imaginations. I don't fully believe that there are civilizations we haven't found but i do believe that there are certain species of animals that we haven't found because they've been around so long that they learned how to move unseen like tigers or crocodiles

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

I wasn't talking about known civilizations in the first place, and you immediately assumed I was supporting something like Atlantis(though until a few years ago... Troy wasn't real either).

My point was simply that even if there were civilizations as far back as 10 thousand years into the past, there would simply be no traces left of them to be found. Maybe you should start reading posts right before you accuse people of being off medication.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

By you saying my statement comes from ignorance shows the true level of your understanding. Yes i know that the theory of evolution is part fact part theory but what you fail to realize is that there are unanswered questions within that theory such as if we came from apes why are they still here, if there was an extinction by flood where is the link that shows how we survived. And if you want to go biblical for that answer then you'll be opening up a Pandoras box of questions. When you stop asking questions about what you truly know you stop searching for the answers to the questions you don't know

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

"The Sea People"?

Closest I could come up with.

Well, and Atlantis, if Plato's writings make it "known".

errr
"New Finds from ‘Sea People’ Settlement"
www.sci-news.com...
See, people (pun intended) require something to live in, and then have their families live in them, and that creates a load of crap from household waste which is archaeological gold. As long as people require somewhere to live, there will always be loads of evidence
Wiki even has a page on it
en.wikipedia.org...
So for any group of humans to leave no evidence of their existence would require them not to eat. Which is why the idea is utter nonsense

edit on 29-6-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The one thing the gets glossed over is the fact that man forgets his history because of catastrophic earth changes such as volcanic, mega tsunamis, melting of the ice age, weather disturbances that lasted thousands of years because of the cold fresh water entering the ocean currents.

Man moved back into caves and did not begin in them. Caves offered shelter from meteor storms, heavy rains or snow.
Earth was no a great place to live up until recently. These cataclysms were bad enough that man no longer needed to remember his past as his future was in danger.

This would explain the ancient structures around the world whos creators and methods are unknown. To be conspiratorial, the illuminati is in possession of at least on prior age.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

The desert is like the ocean to us in terms of what we really know about it. And the real reason why we explore the moon more than we explore our own oceans and deserts is quite simply there's no profit in exploring for knowledge anymore the profit is in the artifacts found. Sad but true

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

So you are saying all of that human waste... would survive say, twenty thousand years? Now that seems like real nonsense.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fer1527

So you are saying all of that human waste... would survive say, twenty thousand years? Now that seems like real nonsense.

That's because you don't know what the word anaerobic means and because from all the evidence I've seen in your posts so far, you generalise because you don't have any facts to hand. Assumption wins you nothing
Here for instance is a pdf which details a midden which is 40,000 years old and was made by rats
wwwpaztcn.wr.usgs.gov...
read it and weep

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

For something organic to be preserved for that long, it requires special criteria to be met... You know... things rot. And they always end up rotting unless special criteria are met. Even fossils don't happen all the time otherwise we would be stumbling in dinossaur bones.

The midden case you linked me to doesn't happen all the time, as I'm sure you're aware. They found one in how many thousands...?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

For something organic to be preserved for that long, it requires special criteria to be met... You know... things rot. And they always end up rotting unless special criteria are met. Even fossils don't happen all the time otherwise we would be stumbling in dinossaur bones.

The midden case you linked me to doesn't happen all the time, as I'm sure you're aware. They found one in how many thousands...?

There you go again, proving me right
"That's because you don't know what the word anaerobic means"

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Fer1527

If earth is over 4 billion years old and the first theoretical signs of human life is about 2 million years ago then who's to say we didn't evolve into an intelligent species before we were wiped out. I honestly believe that at some point in human history we evolved to a point that we caused our own extinction.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Fancy word for an environment that keeps things from rotting at the speed they usually do. Which proves my point: that's not very common and most things end up rotting away before someone digs them up. Otherwise we would be stumbling in fecal matter, stacked on the surface of the planet since the dawn of time...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadow Herder

Truth be told the illuminati or whatever you want to call them are in possession of many artifacts that we believe to be lost or fake. Remember they founded their secret society in 1776 before the signing of the declaration of independence so imagine what they could have passed down through generation

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

What he's saying is that there very well may be ancient civilizations that were wiped from existence by other civilizations that formed in the same location. You can't deny its possible because we still do it today when we destroy building and use the remains to build something new. If this is the case then any skeletal remains found would be associated as 1 civilization

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Fancy word for an environment that keeps things from rotting at the speed they usually do. Which proves my point: that's not very common and most things end up rotting away before someone digs them up. Otherwise we would be stumbling in fecal matter, stacked on the surface of the planet since the dawn of time...

You have moved the goalposts continuously, which in anyones book means you have lost this argument, you claimed
"So you are saying all of that human waste... would survive say, twenty thousand years? Now that seems like real nonsense."
I have proven that completely fallacious. Admit it,

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebellion7

By you saying my statement comes from ignorance shows the true level of your understanding. Yes i know that the theory of evolution is part fact part theory but what you fail to realize is that there are unanswered questions within that theory such as if we came from apes why are they still here, if there was an extinction by flood where is the link that shows how we survived. And if you want to go biblical for that answer then you'll be opening up a Pandoras box of questions. When you stop asking questions about what you truly know you stop searching for the answers to the questions you don't know

your claims that the theory of evolution was part fact and part theory, is a total misunderstanding. It is in fact regarded as a fact and a theory, which means that its totally proven, no gaps

you originally stated "if we came from apes why are they still here", which was you demonstrating your understanding of the theory of evolution. We actually evolved from an ape like ancestor, as did modern apes. So here's a claim I'm going to make about you
You have never studied the theory of evolution and you don't understand it,
Its ok, there's little point in you now claiming otherwise. Your "if we came from apes why are they still here", is typical of people that don't have a clue what theyre talking about.
But go on, tell us all again, there are gaps in a theory that you have never studied

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rebellion7

By you saying my statement comes from ignorance shows the true level of your understanding. Yes i know that the theory of evolution is part fact part theory

I think you're missing some of the fundamentals of evolutionary science here. Evolution is a fact. The theory explains how it works. The theory could not exist without the facts that support it.

but what you fail to realize is that there are unanswered questions within that theory such as if we came from apes why are they still here,

Again, a basic misunderstanding of some basic fundamentals of human evolution here. We do not come from apes, we share a common ancestry with all other living apes. As lineages split off and diverge, new species arise. The farther back in time you go, the closer you get to the common ancestor of H. Sapiens Sapiens and all living ape species. That's not the same thing as 'we come from apes' and it in no way needs any explanation of why other apes are still living today.

if there was an extinction by flood where is the link that shows how we survived.

Which extinction event are you specifically referring to here? If human lines went extinct then we wouldn't be here. Could you be more specific in what you are referring to here?

And if you want to go biblical for that answer then you'll be opening up a Pandoras box of questions. When you stop asking questions about what you truly know you stop searching for the answers to the questions you don't know

And which anthropologists have stopped asking questions? If that were the case we would still be operating under mid 19th century understandings of the science and not have progressed to the current level of understanding we currently possess regarding humanities past and the other lineages that led up to this point. Every day anthropologists are asking questions and looking for the answers to those questions. What we do not do though is make profound statements that can not be supported by facts and evidence. If the answers to said questions van not be independently tested, verified and reproduced then all you have are questions and speculation. That's not how science works.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Not really, read again. I never really changed the point I've been trying to make. It was you who, looking for an argument, misinterpreted my original post. You wanted to believe I was defending the myth of Atlantis, and rushed to attempt to crucify me for it.

As for the human waste, you proved nothing. Read closely and you will see the word "all" in that sentence. I did not deny the possibility of waste getting preserved. But not all of it does, the vast majority simply rots away. And it certainly doesn't happen unless the organic matter at hand is somehow burried. Even then it depends on the ground, some grounds will preserve the organic matter while in others it will actually rot much faster.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rebellion7

No worries. We'll all see things differently and that's okay.

I tend to talk in metaphors and analogies when *big* subjects are being discussed and can't help thinking of the gold rush in this topic.

For previous generations, exploring new territories, conquering foreign lands and discovering new animals was like a gold rush. There was gold everywhere and people were invested in going out and searching for more.

For the past couple of generations, the gold has mostly been mined and now we're looking for grains. Finding grains can still be rewarding and some people/groups go all the way trying to find them. So we might find a sub-species of whale that we thought was a pilot whale. Or maybe we'll find a pygmy species of big cat in some Papua New Guinean forested caldera. Maybe there'll be a road system beneath what's left of the S American rain forests and the ruins of outposts beside them?

These will all be grains compared to what we used to uncover imo.

Saying that, we've made major discoveries in our histories with the Denisovan pinkie bone and Neanderthal genome maps. Sometimes the grains can change our understandings.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Your still unknowingly proving my point sir, because with all of your knowledge and so called understanding you can't answer my 1 question. If the earth is 4 billion years old and humans are 2 million years old and there are 5 known mass extinction events in Earths history where's the link that shows how we survived if we had no intelligence above primal instincts. Think about it super volcanoes erupting, massive earth quakes, floods, enormous viscous creatures, to survive we would have had to be intelligent or have had help so you tell me smart guy since you want to debate

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join