It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Senate Approves Bill to Abolish Marriage Licensing

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

At least there's a few here that can see through the fog of bigotry.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: angeldoll

I look at it as a compromise.

Isn't that what everyone always talks about?

Compromise.

No! They don't want compromise because that means some people would still be free to disagree with them.

That certainly appears to be the case.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: grandmakdw

Gran! I did a eta on my post to you! (I just wouldn't want you to miss it, it's quite sincere).

I don't know what an eta is and clicked on the bold and still could not find it.
I really want to read it.
Could you please just repost the link as a link or tell me what page it is on in the thread as an actual link?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

No. I not in the mood to do anything for you, I do hope you understand. For the last time, I'm not claiming any "Proof", and you are getting hysterical, as usual, over no big deal. The quote says what it says, period.

Now. If you want --, you can call the Governor's office tomorrow, or you can look it up yourself.

Alrighty then!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

More than a few...

Admittance of such is what is not happening.

I wonder what the senator quoted in the article means by "the underlying motive of the bill is moot..."...

/sarc

No need to wonder, really.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No we want all your souls!

i've read that it would include Same-Sex couples, and others that doesn't say anything about it.. so i'm a little confused still

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

No. I not in the mood to do anything for you, I do hope you understand. For the last time, I'm not claiming any "Proof", and you are getting hysterical, as usual, over no big deal. The quote says what it says, period.

Now. If you want --, you can call the Governor's office tomorrow, or you can look it up yourself.

Alrighty then!

Then you really have no proof, you are making up your assumption and
causing all kinds of speculative grief
just for the fun of it on this thread?

If you can't prove it, or won't prove your assertion, then spreading
your opinion as "the truth"
is simply being an alarmist chicken little.

From what I can tell from reading the article linked to by the OP,
the bill allows
gay marriage
it just doesn't force anyone at all to perform a ceremony
It takes the ceremony aspect out of marriage entirely
and makes it a legal contract between 2 persons.

So 2 persons
as long as they
aren't committing
incest or pologamy etc
will be allowed to enter into a marriage contract
ceremony totally optional

Any 2 non related and not already married consenting adults
who are able to enter into any legal contract
may enter into a marriage contract
is the way I read the actual link provided by the OP

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

No we want all your souls!

i've read that it would include Same-Sex couples, and others that doesn't say anything about it.. so i'm a little confused still

Confused about what? The state simply doesn't issue marriage licenses. Instead it issues contracts that can be notarized.

Any marriage a party wants is up to them to secure with those who will marry them. Presumably, Jews will marry Jews. Muslims will marry Muslims, etc., and gays can either call their contract a marriage or seek a religious institution to marry them as suits them and their particular flavor.

But since the state does not issue the marriage license, marriage is no longer a civil-issued privilege. What the state gives, it can also take, and in order to preserve the freedoms of everyone to have what they consider a marriage to be, it has in this case taken from everyone.

It's not about stopping people from marrying.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Whatever. You own me an apology for calling me names.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
marriage is no longer a civil-issued privilege.

I have racked my brain on how to 'divorce' the State for years. Will this allow those with 'licenses' to nullify them? Thus effectivly 'divorcing' the State , but not their spouse?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Now I remember what's so familiar about this. When public schools were ordered to be desegregated, Alabama shut down public schools.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
When two people file for marriage with the state, it is actually a corporation established between two people.

That is why when a divorce happens one person has to sue the other for the dissolution of marriage.
edit on 28-6-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Now I remember what's so familiar about this. When public schools were ordered to be desegregated, Alabama shut down public schools.

Except no one is shutting down anything. Everyone is still getting contract that gives them the legal benefits. And there are no separate but equal institutions because everyone gets the same type of contract, gay or straight.

Alabama is simply taking marriage off the state paperwork.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Which I actually don't have a problem with at face value. It's the spitefulness and I'm also wondering, trying to research it now, if notaries public can refuse to notarize on religious grounds? Is Alabama going to refuse to recognize out state marriages? Is Alabama taking away all legal benefits of being married?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Just confused if they could than legally not allow Same-Sex contracts, and if it would be recognized in all the states if the others didn't do the same

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think this bill died in the Alabama House:

An Alabama bill designed to outmaneuver a possible Supreme Court ruling in favor of gay marriage by scrapping marriage licenses died quickly in the state House this week after sailing through the Senate.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

The same bill was proposed in Oklahoma, but it died too:

In March, a bill to stop the state from issuing marriage licenses passed the Oklahoma House, although it doesn't appear to have passed the Senate.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I've got to go to bed, but what I did was google Alabama Senate Bill 377 From the OP source. It turned up a bunch of stuff, and I just snatched a quote from that Libertarian site, but you can probably find out more if you wanna look.

You guys have a nice evening.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
With the number of divorces in this country, it really surprise me that many people do not understand what marriage is.

The problems have come about from the church being in bed with the state, and vice-versa, but let the real truth be known that a marriage from a church, and a marriage license from the state are two separate entities.

People can be married in a church, never sign a marriage licenses and the state will not recognize the marriage, but money and control cannot happen that way, so the churches started pushing state marriages license's (Against basically all religious Doctrines out there btw), and then most of them got rewarded with non-profit exemptions.

Separation of Church and State is a frikin joke.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Alabama Senate Bill 377 PDF

alisondb.legislature.state.al.us...

Worth a 5 minute read if you're interested in all details.

Edit: Kayla is right, it died. Save yourself 5 minutes of legal jargon.
edit on 28-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Well, then, let's hope that's the case! I did once hear the Governor on TV saying the state 'will do whatever the supreme court determines, and that Alabama will comply.

So. It's a puzzlement.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join