It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Senate Approves Bill to Abolish Marriage Licensing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

In an effort to resolve the issue in advance of a potential future in which same-sex marriages may be declared legal once again, Senate Bill 377 would remove the requirement that couples obtain a license from a probate judge and replace it instead with a contract process requiring only a signature by a notary public, clergy member, or attorney. The bill would only allow two adult parties to join in marriage and would prohibit currently-married people from marrying a second time.

That ladies and gentleman is how you handle the issue.........

Source

You dont FORCE people to marry you even if its against their religious beliefs , just like you dont want to be forced not to get married......

As ive said, I have no problem with gay marriage at all........

What I do have a problem with is people forcing others to abide by their beliefs and violating their rights, just so they can maintain their own.......

This fixes that issue, If the gov really wanted equality, they would mandate something like this!

Flame on or feel free to engage in discussion!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Good.

In actuality being married has caused more financial debacle than anything else in my life. There's NO tax breaks for gay marriage people......don't fall for the trap.

I love my husband and I'm glad we are married and have the other benefits that heterosexuals have but the taxes are a killer.

Be for warned from someone who has been in a same sex marriage for 3 years now. We had to change our W2 back to "single but married".

I'm ALL for getting the government out of marriage all together. So I guess we agree on something ManBehindTheMask.

edit on 28-6-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Who needs big government anyway.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Cheers to that mate.....

That does need to be fixed, they need to make the tax breaks and all the other benefits the same, im absolutely with you on that

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

What I do have a problem with is people forcing others to abide by their beliefs and violating their rights, just so they can maintain their own.......

This fixes that issue, If the gov really wanted equality, they would mandate something like this!

Problem is, judges work for the government, as such, they act as agents of the government, which is exactly who are NOT allowed to violate the rights of anyone. It solves the issue by allowing government workers to abdicate their responsibility to uphold the ideals of equality held by this country.

If a judge is allowed to discriminate based on his or her religious beliefs on this issue what stops them discriminating on others. what if Jewish or Muslim judges began discriminating based on thei beliefs?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Wow, two major advances. First we give homosexuals the right to marry, then we further come to our senses and realize marriage is a matter of economics only in the 21st century. Best to not fall in that trap at all. Someone loves you they don't have to prove it with a piece of paper. Same as being qualified for a job. That piece of paper is pure economics, in both cases.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'd be curious to see if anyone doesn't like this.

And their reasons why.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I'd be curious to see if anyone doesn't like this.

And their reasons why.

If they do not, more then likely that might answer some other questions....

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Next best thing is to ban any and every expression of religious ideas to stick it to the Satanic Temple or what have you in Alabama. Somehow I doubt the state has the cojones.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: combinatorics
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Next best thing is to ban any and every expression of religious ideas to stick it to the Satanic Temple or what have you in Alabama. Somehow I doubt the state has the cojones.

How does that make sense?

They fixed the problem with anyone feeling like their religious sensibilities were being violated, AND still allowing gay people to have what they want.......

How is this a bad thing?

link   
a reply to: combinatorics

This doesn't stop marriage ceremonies.

It just states that they are no longer necessary.

link   
Here's a idea. make it so when people get a divorce both parties have to pay a severe fine. i'd bet the divorce rate would drop. And only people who were really serious of a life long commitment would would feel the need to do so. Hey for men it's a win win it would get most women off our backs about the whole marriage thing?
edit on 6/28/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is a perfect solution!

The more we can get government out of our lives, the better.

I guess we can thank SCOTUS for encouraging states to remove themselves from at least one aspect of people's lives.

Anything to make government smaller and less intrusive in people's lives!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
Here's a idea. make it so when people get a divorce both parties have to pay a severe fine. i'd bet the divorce rate would drop.

They do its called lawyers fees.........and alimony......lol
edit on 6/28/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
Here's a idea. make it so when people get a divorce both parties have to pay a severe fine. i'd bet the divorce rate would drop.

I think there are too many lawyers and that the government needs to put a bounty on their pelts.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: combinatorics

This doesn't stop marriage ceremonies.

It just states that they are no longer necessary.

yeah it takes the state out of it.......all thats needed to make it official is a Notary, a lawyer or a clergy

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

lol whats sad is you know this thread will probably die out quick , because it isnt as inflammatory and actually SOLVES the issue......

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So, instead of a "marriage license" there will be a "marriage contract" and it won't require anyone to do the marriage "ceremony" but WILL require a signature from someone (notary, clergy, or attorney) who is okay with whomever is asking to be married (as long as it is two adults.)

So, they are not in any way refusing marriage to gay people, nor are they really refusing a marriage license, they've just changed the language and made it so someone isn't put in the position of going against their religious beliefs?

Ok.

I do hope, however, that the "marriage contract" will be given the same weight in other states as it is in Alabama, otherwise there could be a boatload of problems stemming from this that are yet to be seen. ??? I don't know the answer to that one.

- AB

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Well, isn't Alabama acting like a petulant little child whose favourite toy was taken away.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

But you wanted the Government to say that we can't have Equal rights.. so you want them when you want them, and when you don't "Bog Government"?

Getting married never required a Religious Ceremony, you could just go to City Hall or someplace and get the certificate and recognized etc.. so maybe i am confused but what does this change? or what does this mean for Both sexes who want to get married?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join