It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Brain-to-Text’ system converts speech brainwave patterns to text

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Brain activity recorded by electrocorticography electrodes (blue circles). Spoken words are then decoded from neural activity patterns in the blue/yellow areas. (credit: CSL/KIT)

German and U.S. researchers have decoded natural continuously spoken speech from brain waves and transformed it into text — a step toward communication with computers or humans by thought alone.

Their “Brain-to-Text” system recorded signals from an electrocorticographic (ECoG)* electrode array located on relevant surfaces of the frontal and temporal lobes of the cerebral cortex of seven epileptic patients, who participated voluntarily in the study during their clinical treatment.

The patients read sample text (from a limited set of words) aloud during the study. Machine learning algorithms were then used to extract the most likely word sequence from the signals, and automatic speech-to-text methods created the text output. The system achieved word error rates as low as 25% and phone (instances of phonemes in utterances) error rates below 50%.

The researchers suggest that the Brain-to-Text system might lead to a speech-communication method for locked-in (unable to communicate) patients in the future.

Link

This is amazing , I can really see this type of Tech being the forefront of communication for individuals who are locked in , It will interesting to how this will develop for future application .

My prediction is that we won't be needing our keyboards anymore
and say goodbye to that travail translator

Thoughts?

Kap
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Neural-comms

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Ten years tops until we have straight-up assisted telepathy. All we need is a "brain-to-text" implant and another implant to send and receive it.

All of the required tech already exists for it; we just need Google to jump on it.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is where I drift from my normal progressive sensibilities and say a line must be drawn.

Plead the 5th?

No mate, we can read your mind.

No comment?

No mate, we can read your mind.

Good for a Mute, or Stephen Hawking...

Beyond that, Orwell would have a fantastic sequel.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I see a day in the future where schools will be a thing of the past. Kids will sit in a chair with wires attached to their skulls while a mass of information is downloaded into their brains. The future population will be made up of Einstein's and the result of that will be unimaginable technology. The big question is, at what age do you start the download? I can't imagine parents having the ability to control little smart asses.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I see a day in the future where schools will be a thing of the past. Kids will sit in a chair with wires attached to their skulls while a mass of information is downloaded into their brains. The future population will be made up of Einstein's and the result of that will be unimaginable technology. The big question is, at what age do you start the download? I can't imagine parents having the ability to control little smart asses.

That might have to be what we will have to do to keep Ahead of A.I .

but then again to much information might drive someone nuts , they would have to take it in slow , as if they were going to regular school.

Only the privileged would be allowed to have advanced knowledge.

I think I just started writing an outline to a book

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Not for me do not want any one to no what im thinking and pretty shure would be no more wife lmao

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Tapping into the brain is a no no.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I don't want anyone being able to get into my head and read my thoughts/ideas..

Unless I can patent my thoughts

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

originally posted by: Kapusta
That might have to be what we will have to do to keep Ahead of A.I .

but then again to much information might drive someone nuts , they would have to take it in slow , as if they were going to regular school.

Only the privileged would be allowed to have advanced knowledge.

I think I just started writing an outline to a book

Already predicted and demonstrated in Fantastic Planet:

Fantastic Planet (1973), René Laloux

edit on 29-6-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

top topics

join