It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insane helicopter pilot skills

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Following on from a thread i did 4 weeks ago HERE about helicopter pilot skill, i have here another video which you should enjoy.

This time we have a chinook pilot showing some brilliant piloting

Now i dont know much about helicopters, but wouldnt the weight be shifting, thus making it hard to control the chopper?
edit on 28/6/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I know next to nothing about piloting a Chinook (or any other helicopter), but to me, that seems pretty damn impressive.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

They're still flying actually. The wheels are barely touching the ground. The weight of people moving around inside isn't going to disturb them much.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Damnn… thats some half landing. See the difference in pitch of the two rotors? The back one is flat, the front one is pitched (lifting) the front half is still in flight.

So the weight distribution of troops leaving doesn't matter. its like the birds back half is "docked" with the mountain.

Neat…

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

These kinds of pinnacle landings are commonplace in mountainous regions like Afghanistan.

I've done tons of mountain top insertions. There is a lot to consider once you have a wheel on the ground.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I rode in the Chinook's many times in Vietnam. There an incredible piece of equipment. They were in such demand that they were running the majority of the time. They just changed crews and went on another mission. When they were shut down it was for maintenance or mechanical problems.

The troops moving inside would not affect the Chinook's balance. By the way, they were so noisy inside you had to scream to be heard.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I wonder if Russia was able to do this in their little dance in the mountains?

I just found out there's Spots in Afghanistan that are so high you can't get a helo to them? Where? I heard someone say it in passing In a book that "theres even some spots these jackasses can hide that we can't get to in helos, gotta insert and hike up"

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609

I wonder if Russia was able to do this in their little dance in the mountains?

I just found out there's Spots in Afghanistan that are so high you can't get a helo to them? Where? I heard someone say it in passing In a book that "theres even some spots these jackasses can hide that we can't get to in helos, gotta insert and hike up"

Because the slopes are steep, the passes deep and the winds turbulent. Rate of climb on lift out would crash into the side of the mountain.

A nice little un winnable war, endless drain on blood and treasure.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

That's one of the problems with helicopters and mountains. You get too high and the rotors can't produce enough lift to keep them flying anymore.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I wish I could pin point those place to you.

Some peaks are so high up that lading up there would leave our engines power starved. Tarin Kowt, for instance, is about 3200 feet MSL on the valley floor. Then to try to get up higher than that in the surrounding peaks, some that are as high as 12,000 ft, you're talking an altitude of 15,200 feet. For unpressurized military helicopters like my Blackhawks, that means less oxygen to breath for us, and the engine.

For every landing we make there must be enough power for an escape maneuver.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

15,000' ........ That's a bad day.

ive read about Tarin kwot but I had no idea it was that high up. That's where Karzai was with the Oda's for a while isn't it? How would a PJ get in if the helo can't get up there, Parachute? Have we ever needed a QRF/ PJ's for someone who's to high up?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow.That is some very impressive flying.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

damn....hoo-rah!....even chinook helicopter pilots have big ones.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Dropping them out the back of an MC-130 works.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Are there any classified/unclassified tech that allows for exfil in one of those areas? (a simple yes will suffice if need be)

The Fulton still in use at all? Probably wouldn't work with a wounded warfighter tho eh?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

They CAN use Fulton if necessary. They'd strap them to the stretcher and tie them in pretty tightly. There have been rumors of a piece of SOF equipment that could be used in a dire emergency.
edit on 6/28/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Anything like captain Americas "PJ" buddy lol (that would be sooooooo awesome lol) maybe even just slightly like it?

Eta, that's awesome about the Fulton, really expands evac possibilities! A popular video game gives you Fulton capabilities as you sneak around you can knock out guards and send them away on the Fulton so you don't gotta worry about them waking up and sounding the alarm, just imagine that ride... Guarding some camp somewhere in tora bora one minute to getting reeling into the back of a c130 as it climbs back to altitude the next lolol bad day for Abdul right there! Ever hear of it being out to use like this? I thought I read about a downed pilot that was rescued with it in Vietnam right? But never prisoner capture lol
edit on 28-6-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I've seen this incredible feat before. Not that it makes a difference, but was this a British pilot?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Sadly no. I so want one of those though.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The most important thing in this type of pinnacle landings is your crew chief. He is your eyes and ears back on the ramp. He tells the pilot his height and clearance to the obstacle that you're landing on.

Helicopters have always had issues with altitude and high temperatures. It's just the nature of the beast.

In Vietnam, I would routinely adjust my take off weight by leaving fuel or ammo behind. Then I would make a running take off and this was at sea level and 100+ degrees.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join