It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why 50 plus years of stereo typing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Over the years I have noticed that many people including those of the LGBT groups force individuals into stereotypical categories because they have a certain personality traits that differ from what everyone labels normal. I had friends who were more feminine in their personality and by high school they were forced into a Gay mould, likewise I had girl friends who were more masculine and they too were forced into the Lesbian mould.

The problem is neither of them were born homosexual they had personalities that were not thought to be the norm and so people forced them into what they are. Just because a man is born with a personality in which he enjoys sewing, dolls or cooking does not mean the person was born a homosexual and likewise just because a girl likes sports, collecting bugs and enjoys racing her bike does not make her a homosexual.

What caused these friends into the LGBT life was the fact that their social pressure from people around them pushed them into believing they were LGBT when in fact they just had different personality that people felt were not the norm for straight people.

you see we forced people to believe they were born homosexual because we placed people into stereotypical moulds by saying they were LGBT because their personalities were not what someone somewhere said they should be.

Just because a man likes to sew and do interior decorating does not make them Gay and just because a woman liked sports and hunting doesn't make her a Lesbian. But because many who are gay or Lesbians before them said you are because your personality is not that of a real man or real woman you are something other than what you were born to be,which is a lie.

Straights and LGBT's both are responsible for this ignorance that has forced people into stereotypical GLBT mould and it does not exist. You sex and your drive are what you are born with, your personality is something entirely different and we should nurture a person for who they are male or female despite what mould we force on them because of their personality.

edit on 28-6-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure thats not how it works

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Well, we haven't been very successful at forcing a heterosexual lifestyle on gays (though God know we've tried), so I can't imagine being very successful at forcing a homosexual lifestyle on a straight person.

What utter bs.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well we're all nearly 50 / 50 split, right?

Big difference between just doing feminine or masculine activities and actually being physically aroused…

I don't want to finish that sentence, it might get me flamed.
'

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Lyle the effeminate heterosexual

www.bing.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Over the years I have noticed that many people including those of the LGBT groups force individuals into stereotypical categories because they have a certain personality traits that differ from what everyone labels normal. I had friends who were more feminine in their personality and by high school they were forced into a Gay mould, likewise I had girl friends who were more masculine and they too were forced into the Lesbian mould.

The problem is neither of them were born homosexual they had personalities that were not thought to be the norm and so people forced them into what they are. Just because a man is born with a personality in which he enjoys sewing, dolls or cooking does not mean the person was born a homosexual and likewise just because a girl likes sports, collecting bugs and enjoys racing her bike does not make her a homosexual.

What caused these friends into the LGBT life was the fact that their social pressure from people around them pushed them into believing they were LGBT when in fact they just had different personality that people felt were not the norm for straight people.

you see we forced people to believe they were born homosexual because we placed people into stereotypical moulds by saying they were LGBT because their personalities were not what someone somewhere said they should be.

Just because a man likes to sew and do interior decorating does not make them Gay and just because a woman liked sports and hunting doesn't make her a Lesbian. But because many who are gay or Lesbians before them said you are because your personality is not that of a real man or real woman you are something other than what you were born to be,which is a lie.

Straights and LGBT's both are responsible for this ignorance that has forced people into stereotypical GLBT mould and it does not exist. You sex and your drive are what you are born with, your personality is something entirely different and we should nurture a person for who they are male or female despite what mould we force on them because of their personality.

Stereotypes exist from all perspectives....nobody who's alive is exempt.

Show me someone who claims they are free from stereotypes, and I'll show you a liar.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Somebody should stop the stereo from typing. Why has it been typing for so many years?
edit on 28-6-2015 by Ksihkehe because: Punctuation yo

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
In my homeland they will throw you off a roof for being gay.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MohammadsFriend

What back water hole is that?.
I hope you don't condone that type of stuff.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

www.mirror.co.uk... four-5958580

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MohammadsFriend
In my homeland they will throw you off a roof for being gay.
How tragic. Are you from Syria?

We are all people first and foremost...everything else is just window dressing. We should be able to ban together as a species and celebrate our differences.

We need a common threat like a global Alien invasion to make us all unite.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I have thought about this. And I have thought about the diversity between men and the diversity between women. There has always been women with characteristics that we traditionally attribute to men, and vice versa, men with characteristics that we traditionally attribute to women. Effeminate men and masculine women. There has always been a spectrum of diversity and there is no problem with that, diversity is good. Effeminate men are not necessary gay and also they shouldn't necessarily start to think that they should have been born a woman, and the same goes for masculine women. We shouldn't make kids believe that because they have some characteristics traditionally attributed to the other sex that they are necessarily gay or that their whole current gender is wrong and they should change sex. If we do that, we will reduce diversity and we will force people to put themselves in separated rigid compartments that other people have imagined for them.

My 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MohammadsFriend

Don't worry what goes around comes around those bastards will get theirs.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A man who likes dolls, certain clothes, or textures, cooking or styling hair it doesn't make him Gay.

A woman that likes baseball, car racing and wearing pants instead of dresses doesn't make her a Lesbian.

But over the years we HAVE, that is both LGBT and Straights, told people that if they are male and like feminine things they are gay or if they are a tom boy they are Lesbian.

This truth cannot be denied.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry
A Stereo type is a preconceived idea of how someone should act according to societal opinions but not necessarily reality.

stereotype

In social psychology, a stereotype is a thought that can be adopted about specific types of individuals or certain ways of doing things.[1] These thoughts or beliefs may or may not accurately reflect reality.[2][3] However, this is only a fundamental psychological definition of a stereotype.[3] Within psychology and spanning across other disciplines, there are different conceptualizations and theories of stereotyping that provide their own expanded definition. Some of these definitions share commonalities, though each one may also harbor unique aspects that may contradict the others.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

You are correct it is diversity, and stereotyping does puts people in compartments rather than letting them develop true individualism.

It is what we term a form of bullying.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

There is so much you have backwards here. Wow. For one, I don't know what world you are in where people are actually going around and forcing someone to be gay (besides the fact that this isn't possible) just because a man/boy likes to sew (or do something else that is viewed as effeminate). Where are you getting this? On the other side, there are girls softball teams, field hockey teams, girls that skateboard, etc. and there is no evidence that these activities 'turn' women gay. In the same way that a kid playing football doesn't make their parents say 'dude, you must be straight' (on the contrary, all those showers and locker room time...). I mean, I'm surprised your mind can even come up with this theory.

I will say this though, there are certain professions that have historically been more open to the gay community, jobs that they can feel safe to be who they are without being mocked, not taken seriously, subjugated, etc. For example, the fashion world has been accepting of gay lifestyle for a long time now. It has been a safe haven for gay people to survive amongst peers and grow within a career. But you are trying back into this from the other side, as if the sewing leads to being gay... it's just not like that.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

it is not forcing people to be gay but making them to believe their personalities fit into stereotypes that say they MUST be gay or lesbian.

the activities don't make anyone gay. You're missing the point it is the social peer and others who say that because they arwe this way the must be gay, thereby forcing them into stereotypes not LGBT.

When people say one who sews is feminine thereby they must be a woman in a male body that is stereotyping.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

a reply to: okrian

it is not forcing people to be gay but making them to believe their personalities fit into stereotypes that say they MUST be gay or lesbian.

the activities don't make anyone gay. You're missing the point it is the social peer and others who say that because they arwe this way the must be gay, thereby forcing them into stereotypes not LGBT.

When people say one who sews is feminine thereby they must be a woman in a male body that is stereotyping.

The ONLY thing that makes you gay is your attraction to the same gender. That's it. It doesn't matter what stereotype you think you've been forced into, if being with someone of the same gender doesn't turn you on, it doesn't turn you on. Period.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

a reply to: BlackboxInquiry
A Stereo type is a preconceived idea of how someone should act according to societal opinions but not necessarily reality.

stereotype

In social psychology, a stereotype is a thought that can be adopted about specific types of individuals or certain ways of doing things.[1] These thoughts or beliefs may or may not accurately reflect reality.[2][3] However, this is only a fundamental psychological definition of a stereotype.[3] Within psychology and spanning across other disciplines, there are different conceptualizations and theories of stereotyping that provide their own expanded definition. Some of these definitions share commonalities, though each one may also harbor unique aspects that may contradict the others.

Right, and every single living being has them - whether they like to admit it or not.

Example:

I see a confederate flag and I think toothless hillbillies. Rednecks, cheap beer, home made moonshine distilleries...

I think Ozarks, and similar images come to mind.

Now I know that's a stereotype, and not everyone who likes that flag thinks of it the same way, nor may they fit that description I gave....but it's still a stereotype.

I'm sure you have similar things - say when someone says 'liberal' or 'conservative' may be one suggestion, but I'm sure somewhere in your mind, you have at least one or two.

Lately I've been told flat out that 'all white people are racist'. So that comment to me, is so ironic that the same who said that are using stereotypes, when in fact they themselves despise when others do it. Hypocritical at best.

Again, show me someone who says they aren't using stereotypes and I'll show you a fool or a liar.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join