It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space X just blew up

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's my video:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Elon Musk just tweeted this on the SpaceX Twitter page:

There was an overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank. Data suggests counterintuitive cause.

That's all we can say with confidence right now. Will have more to say following a thorough fault tree analysis.

Edit: That's some great footage, ngchunter!

edit on 6/28/2015 by admirethedistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: samkent
There were problems detected and the flight 'auto-terminated'. This was done to ensure safety downrange, I believe.
A setback to be sure, but the story would have been much uglier if the rocket had landed on a nursing home full of old people.
Space.com

edit on b000000302015-06-28T10:57:45-05:0010America/ChicagoSun, 28 Jun 2015 10:57:45 -05001000000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
That's the tricky thing with rockets; you have to keep to fuel cool so it can be handled safely (NASA had the solid fuel booster rockets), but you need to heat the fuel up so that it will combust correctly (they have coils around the rocket engine nozzles that use the heat from combustion to warm up the fuel at the same time as the nozzles are kept cool).
At the same time, pressure of the fuel must be controlled so that the flame doesn't go back inside the rocket, but at a fast enough rate that propulsion is applied. Once you've started you can't stop.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: Aleister
These failures may get to the point that our hidden systems might finally get employed. Those exotic that some of us know to exist, that would be the black triangles and other craft that don't use aerodynamic lift or thrust, but simply move as do UFOs. NASA and Lockheed both seem to be edging toward telling us something about such systems.

Umm, and can you provide any tangible evidence that such systems exist ?
Apart from the logic failure that nobody would use stone-age rockets when any more advanced systems were available ?
As far as i know the laws of physics anywhere on this planet are not different from those in Groom Lake. But of course, they just keep them hidden from Elon Musk in their hangars to annoy him.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Oh c'mon..... Verner Von Braun cracked this stuff in 43. what's the deal man. ?

Maybe you can show them how to make a better one.

edit on 28-6-2015 by CraftBuilder because: of typo.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to be in a fishing boat underneath when that thing blew up. I wonder if there have been any accidents caused by stuff from rocket launches. I am sure that they would be covered up, a ship just sunk at sea.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Another video, you can see something seemingly disengage right before the explosion.

edit on 28-6-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They don't launch if there's anything in the vicinity of the Cape. There's a no fly/sail zone around it for a certain distance out. Most failures occur during the early portion of the launch.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
They were gonna give it another go on landing a rocket.

Knowing SpaceX, I'm pretty certain they're just gonna try again.

Rocketry is still a 50/50 chance game. It's either going to do what it is supposed to do, or it's going to blow up.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Glad to hear it's not only the Russian rockets that blow up, weheheheheeeee!

Sorry.

I guess this is what they call "the rocket science", and rockets are some of the most complex (and complicated) machines we ever build. Something is bound to go wrong sooner or later.

On the one hand, privatizing spaceflight provides a boost in this industry, on the other hand, we'll probably see more and more of these failures as new rockets are invented.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: charolais
Not much words were said during and after the explosion. I'm sure most were at a loss of words.

You know they were cursing like sailors LOL.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I thought it was a supply ship en route?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

The first stage. They've tried to land it twice and failed both times.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Official footage from NASA, at 720p. www.youtube.com...

Definitely looks like the upper stage fuel tank burst apart (whether controlled or by itself), reminds me a bit of the Challenger disaster.

As for the silence after the explosion, it's only the public commentator we're hearing. In the mission control building, there would have been some talking, and the "lock the doors" command.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: projectvxn

I thought it was a supply ship en route?

Okay, I didn't know the video had the wrong hang of it, it says it was en route to the ISS, then a land attempt after?? scratch that I get you now.
edit on 28-6-2015 by smurfy because: Txt.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
They need more advanced military technology like shields to stop random death rays and such. By the way someone could have thought it was a missle and just shot it down on principle LOL. Seriously the earth may be being watched by who knows what kinds of powers and intelligences, get more advanced technology if your going to try and leave orbit dont do it with a classic rocket, try some moore advanced propulsion that cannot be easily destroyed by the random space laser. . . .

edit on 28-6-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Only the first stage was going to attempt to land. It's a reusable first stage. After the second stage separates the first stage comes back down and attempts to land on a barge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join