It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can any of you remember when you chose your sexual orientation?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ConfederateZombie

No the actual site brought up flags for me of security issues.
Didn't read anything.
So again when did you choose?.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I've been attracted to females since I started getting attracted to people. I even tried to explore my imagination, trying to see if I could be into guys. Nope, never happened.

So definitely never chose to be into women.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I can remember.

I had 'friends' who wanted something that I was not expecting or intending to give. It made me evaluate what I wanted to do.

I chose, quite emphatically, to say no to them (which impacted friendships negatively) and cemented the realization that my sexual attraction was purely heterosexual.

To this day I have issues and recoil from physical contact, even quite platonic contact, with males (hand shakes are OK but hugs are a definite no-no).

That is choosing to say no to homosexual contact and you were put in an awkward position by trusted people...but that was not when you chose your sexuality. You had already been heterosexual.
edit on 28-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Being heterosexual is not a choice, it's normal development.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Nope. But I know I am 100% hetero.

Love this song, but am not aroused by it in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I can remember.

I had 'friends' who wanted something that I was not expecting or intending to give. It made me evaluate what I wanted to do.

I chose, quite emphatically, to say no to them (which impacted friendships negatively) and cemented the realization that my sexual attraction was purely heterosexual.

To this day I have issues and recoil from physical contact, even quite platonic contact, with males (hand shakes are OK but hugs are a definite no-no).

What you write is exactly what would be expected from a heterosexual man who has experienced homosexual contact. There was no choosing on your part I imagine, just a negative experience that has scarred you deeply.
I'm sorry to hear that you went through that and hope it hasn't affected your ability to find a female mate.

The only people who actually get to do anything close to 'choosing' is bisexual men because they are genuinely attracted to both sexes and often have to make a choice when it comes to settiling down with someone. There are those who don't though and play both sides of the fence throughout their life.

link   
a reply to: Cuervo The OP is looking for people that made a choice.

link   

So if it is not a choice, then how can the opposite be so?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

So you didn't choose then?.
You agree then sexuality is not a choice.

link   

originally posted by: ConfederateZombie

Now swap Heterosexual with whateversexual and you're still on the mark

link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes but the question can be to all to see how many of us actually made a choice.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

If you are normally heterosexual it is normal development.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: reldra

Yes but the question can be to all to see how many of us actually made a choice.
Yes, if it was of any kind. People can share. But if they were a certain way to begin with, a story where they chose to not participate in something against their own nature is not really a choice.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   

When I first remember seeing boobs, I was pretty much hooked.

Don't know why, it just seemed to work out that way.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Mental disorder, you know there people who think that they are all kinds of animals like horses, dogs, and everything else, just because they think so don't make it true they have a mental disorder.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I don't agree with the mental disorder angle, but it still is saying it is not a choice.

People don't choose to have that either, it is something you are born with.
But in this case, that is not what it is.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Ah yes, I had forgot to write "Mental Disorder" within the OP as well. Although it's been conclusively listed in the DSM-5 that Homosexuality is not a mental disorder.

"psychology was one of the first disciplines to study homosexuality as a discrete phenomenon. Prior to and throughout most of the 20th century, common standard psychology viewed homosexuality in terms of pathological models as a mental illness. That classification began to be subjected to critical scrutiny in the research, which consistently failed to produce any empirical or scientific basis for regarding homosexuality as a disorder. As a result of such accumulated research, a large number of professionals in medicine, mental health, and the behavioral and social sciences, opposing the classification of homosexuality as a mental disorder, have in more recent years claimed the conclusion that it was inaccurate, and that the DSM classification reflected untested assumptions that were based on once-prevalent social norms and clinical impressions from unrepresentative samples which consisted of patients seeking therapy and individuals whose conduct brought them into the criminal justice system."

(Case No. S147999 in the Supreme Court of the State of California, In re Marriage Cases Judicial Council Coordination Proceeding No. 4365(…))
edit on 28/6/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I can remember.

That is choosing to say no to homosexual contact and you were put in an awkward position by trusted people...but that was not when you chose your sexuality. You had already chosen.

Perhaps, yes, but it was a painful decision because they were friends. I still wanted friendship but they were persistent and unable, or unwilling to be just a friend. Eventually I had to dissociate with them and the group that accrued.

I have considered if my adverse reaction could be the result of an attempt to self-repress some latent homosexuality but I have concluded that I honestly am not attracted to men.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

a reply to: Sremmos80

Mental disorder, you know there people who think that they are all kinds of animals like horses, dogs, and everything else, just because they think so don't make it true they have a mental disorder.
what are you talking about?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I'm glad you've managed to get some peace out of the ordeal

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join