It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain the whole Banning of the Confederate Flag issue?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shugo That is the point of free speech. If you state an opinion and someone doesn;t like it, you will probably receive a rebuttal.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes, but the difference is that instead of being slammed with just general hateful speeches - it actually goes as far as to make it to the news, and everyone jumps on board all over the country.

Now, being fair...I'm not going to say it doesn't happen on both sides of the spectrum. Right now, I'm avoiding Facebook for the reason that all I'm going to see is material about the Supreme Court decision. There's a lot of people celebrating, and a lot of people complaining.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shugo

Yes, but the difference is that instead of being slammed with just general hateful speeches - it actually goes as far as to make it to the news, and everyone jumps on board all over the country.

Now, being fair...I'm not going to say it doesn't happen on both sides of the spectrum. Right now, I'm avoiding Facebook for the reason that all I'm going to see is material about the Supreme Court decision. There's a lot of people celebrating, and a lot of people complaining.

This was news-worthy. You will see complaints and celebrations. It was an historical decision. much like desegregation of schools and the allowance of interracial marriage. If you don't want to see it, don't look , as it will be there.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I know that. I don't deny that. But, I got the message. That's why I'm just leaving Facebook alone.

Again, there's oppression on both sides of the spectrum. I'm not here to argue that. What I am trying to say, albeit might be blabbered a bit as it's late (that might be where our barrier is, I may not be communicating clearly), both sides need to lighten up a bit. All of us.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shugo

I know that. I don't deny that. But, I got the message. That's why I'm just leaving Facebook alone.

Again, there's oppression on both sides of the spectrum. I'm not here to argue that. What I am trying to say, albeit might be blabbered a bit as it's late (that might be where our barrier is, I may not be communicating clearly), both sides need to lighten up a bit. All of us.

I have no doubt that facebook will calm down in a week or so. The news may take slightly longer. It is a big step in the history of this country, no matter what side you may be on. It is the massive intrusion into the internet and TV that previous 'large steps' may not have had and you rely upon both for some communication and information- I am guessing.

Take a break from both. Or avoid news sites or forums a few days. For Facebook, I wouldn't look at 'home'. Just talk to your friends.

Take a breath and wait it out a bit

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Haha. Yeah, I needed a break off there anyway.

Appreciate your thoughts though. It's been a great discussion.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shugo It has been

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

That flag is still a symbol of racism and hate. It should not be on any government property be it Oregon or Alabama. I understand the TPP and do not like it and am actually almost an addict when it comes to speaking against the militarization of the police. See...walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Actually, you were told that it's a symbol of racism and hate. The same way skinheads are told it's a symbol of white supremacy, or whatever. And if you want to believe that, I really don't have a problem with that. The thing is, we agree on things like the TPP and police militarization. But the media, Republicans, and Democrats don't even want to approach issues like that.

Maybe we should take a close look at the people who tell us what we think should be important. Is it they guy who can gun down your family and not spend a day in jail, or is it a piece of cloth with ink on it? Republicans and Democrats are pretty much in agreement on the first, and they want to make an issue of the second.

Chew all the gum you like, just watch where you are going.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

That flag is still a symbol of racism and hate. It should not be on any government property be it Oregon or Alabama. I understand the TPP and do not like it and am actually almost an addict when it comes to speaking against the militarization of the police. See...walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Actually, you were told that it's a symbol of racism and hate. The same way skinheads are told it's a symbol of white supremacy, or whatever. And if you want to believe that, I really don't have a problem with that. The thing is, we agree on things like the TPP and police militarization. But the media, Republicans, and Democrats don't even want to approach issues like that.

Maybe we should take a close look at the people who tell us what we think should be important. Is it they guy who can gun down your family and not spend a day in jail, or is it a piece of cloth with ink on it? Republicans and Democrats are pretty much in agreement on the first, and they want to make an issue of the second.

Chew all the gum you like, just watch where you are going.

I am glad we agree on a couple of things. However, NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO THINK. You assume too much.

edit: Your signature says that the President, the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces should burn in hell. I didn't care fior either Bush, but I would never type that about a sitting President. It is the epitome of disrespect for this nation.
edit on 28-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

I am glad we agree on a couple of things. However, NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO THINK. You assume too much.

edit: Your signature says that the President, the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces should burn in hell. I didn't care fior either Bush, but I would never type that about a sitting President. It is the epitome of disrespect.

And yet, you assumed that the Confederate battle flag was a symbol of racism and hate, when it was actually something used to distinguish one set of troops from another. So, who told you it was a symbol of racism and hate? Someone told you what to think.

As for my signature. You seem to be opposed to racism and hate. I am just as opposed to slavery. Barack Obama and John Roberts sold future generations of Americans into debt slavery to insurance companies. When you have to work to pay some company for the privilege of being alive, you are a debt slave. Neither Obama, Roberts, or anyone who voted for Obamacare deserve my respect. I rank Obama second only to Wilson as the worst president ever, who sold the American people into debt slavery under the Federal Reserve Bank.
edit on 28-6-2015 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Well obviously....

If we get rid of the stars and bars, we get rid of all racism and gun violence in one stroke. It is a magical symbol which turns otherwise normal people into intolerant mass murderers.

I sure am glad now that it is gone (even on toys and video games) crime will disappear and everyone will have a job.

//sarc off//

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Obama did not ban the sale or possession of any flag. Did you not even bother with trying to verify whether it was true or not before coming here and stating it was?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I just don't get why after all these years it is suddenly viewed as this terrible, horrible object and making it illegal will somehow cure.... what?

Here is the short answer.

The "Rebel" Flag is a symbol of racism. Anyone who denies this and uses the history of the flag as a rebuttal that it is not racist is an idiot and is scared of losing one of thier last few tolerated, passive-aggressive symbols of thier racism. I know this 100% as I was born under that flag and was raised to be a racist. We all know the history of the flag and what it was and what it has become are two totally different things.

Here is your camel:

And here is the straw that broke the camels back:

I have not seen anywhere that the flag has been banned by government and it should not be banned. People that want to fly that flag should have the right too and also deal with any consequences from that right. It doesn't need to be flown above government buildings. There is no place for state/local governments to be supporting a symbol of hate like that.
edit on 6 28 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

It gives those that hate and protest against "hate" a symbol to hate rather than the actual job of saying that they hate certain people. So they use this symbol uncaring of its value otherwise. It's one of those "You are either with us or against us" things. PCing is a savage, take no prisoners, weapon.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Hard to make sense of flag-gate .I am not sure to call it silly of just plain stupid . To think that the msm would put as much time in this issue is mind boggling seeing there may be a war brewing . Anyway ,here is all I can add to my 2 cents that might help you figure it out .good luck though .

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I'll explain it real quickly.

Tell an American he can't have something and he will get two or three.

The confederate flag just became cool.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Non usa person here .. EU/AU .. Reading these threads... I am sorry you are faced with this type of dilemmas.. I would never understand how this topic makes you all feel. somebody would really have to sit down with me and give a weeks worth of lecture so i can comprehend this.. my initial thought before i would hear this lecture is this..

the issues mentioned here are not usa inclusive, but worldwide issues

yet this is somehow connected to a symbol that i bet most people of the world population never heard about

so.. just ignore

what can you do when a dog barks at you.. let them bark..

it just feels so energy consuming .. anyway i will keep reading to see what is happening here
edit on 28-6-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
I'll explain it real quickly.

Tell an American he can't have something and he will get two or three.

The confederate flag just became cool.

Haha right? I've become a gun ownership supporter, and I don't own guns.

Excepting the fact that many in the South love the history and the symbol of that flag, you are right.
I remember my grandfather took me around North Carolina and Virginia looking at old Civil war sites.
One of the places had a belt buckle place, and you could get either a confederate buckle or a Union buckle.

I wanted the confederate one, because some people in my family died on that side of things.
I was a kid, and for me it never meant anything other than WAR History.. As I got older I gave the buckle away, because it's just too much symbolism for certain other people..

Know how some black people say Nikka all the time, in a positive way? I've been accidentally called nikka in many places I have worked, because I was so liked, and it was forgotten I wasn't supposed to get that word, but it was left standing.. That dude is my nikka. So words/flags, mean whatever people think they mean. Even said to a white guy like me, that meant this dude is the Man. I like him.

It's a fight for who owns symbols. In North Carolina the confederate flag is not popular by any stretch, but head down into South Carolina, and you will see it a lot more. I havn't seen it soo much as a symbol of hate anywhere I have been, but it's also used that way. And when it is used that way it is SOO DARK. It's EVIL even. It's like "I can't wait to hurt black people and have white America back."

I tend to drop symbols and just be me. You can hear about my views from my mouth, in much more nuanced ways than a flag on my house, or a sticker on my car..

Hence ATS.

edit on 28-6-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

you might like this

if u end up watching it scip the intros!

m.youtube.com...

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

Was that a commentary on my post?
(first guy contorting)

Or is this just a random off topic personal message.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join