It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain the whole Banning of the Confederate Flag issue?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
There's a huge amount of Confederate Flag threads popping up here and I missed the initial launch of it all. I understand that Obama banned the possession and sale of the Confederate Flag through executive order, but I am finding it hard to understand why this is a sudden issue at all?

I just don't get why after all these years it is suddenly viewed as this terrible, horrible object and making it illegal will somehow cure.... what?

Seriously? Isn't the Swastika legal?... yet the confederate flag is not? It's not like if I were to draw the swastika on someone's arm and suddenly this happens....

What's the deal?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think what it ultimately comes down to, is people are more of the ideology of "we don't want to hurt peoples feelings." That's probably why it's becoming a bigger and bigger deal. That being said - I understand if you don't want a non-U.S. or non-state flag on government property. I am of the flavor that you should only display your state or national patriotism on those properties.

That being said however, I think it should be perfectly okay for someone to fly that flag on their own property. If people can fly a rainbow flag, a flag with a swastika on it, even a Green Bay Packers flag...you should also be able to fly a confederate flag on your own property, should you choose. I wouldn't do it myself (any flag other than my state or national one), but that doesn't mean I don't think you shouldn't be able to do it.

People just need something to complain about these days I guess. My two cents anyway...
edit on 27.6.2015 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

No, lol..

Your source of information is confused (obama ha what??).

It's really nothing to even talk about..

Here:

S.C. governor calls for removing Confederate flag from Capitol grounds
www.usatoday.com...

edit on 27-6-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think they want all symbols of rebellion to be purged from society (other than what they manage themselves in the media). They don't want anyone being inspired by the history of a people who had the balls to revolt against the United States government. And damn near win.

Of course, that's not the whole of it. There's the whole racial tension thing they're deliberately stoking up, but I really do think that erasing this type of symbolism from our culture serves their interest in creating a docile population and is, therefore, a primary reason for this propaganda saturation.

"They", in all of this is, of course (and none other than), "you know who".

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Political correctness run a muck! Feelings hurt over a cloth with dye added. This won't help the victim class one bit. Intercity killings and mayhem will continue unabated. Sad fact really

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The Confederate flag has not been banned, activist groups are simply calling for it's removal from Federal owned lands. That includes memorials in front of state capitols.

If you want to fly the confederate flag in front of your house or put a sticker on your truck then you are more than free to do so.

I suggest you get some new and more credible news sources to get your news from.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I think they want all symbols of rebellion to be purged from society (other than what they manage themselves in the media). They don't want anyone being inspired by the history of a people who had the balls to revolt against the United States government. And damn near win.

Of course, that's not the whole of it. There's the whole racial tension thing they're deliberately stoking up, but I really do think that erasing this type of symbolism from our culture serves their interest in creating a docile population and is, therefore, a primary reason for this propaganda saturation.

"They", in all of this is, of course (and none other than), "you know who".

Only extremists want to ban symbols.

Personally I believe that people should have the right to believe anything they want and to display any symbol that they wish. That's the thing that makes America great.

You are free to display those symbols in your home or private property, but keep them off Federally owned lands.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I actually agree with your post. I didn't think that would ever happen.

Good job!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense that a tongue is firmly planted in cheek.

The confederate flag, a symbol that many things to many people, has been infused with the symbol of racism and nothing else based on a cowardly racist act committed by a racist #stain.

Instead of addressing the topic of racism, many took the opportunity to attack the symbol instead.

From shops, to games, to statues, to flags in other states, a virtual tsunami of activism on the symbol has been initiated.

On a personal level, I would only wish that they kept the flag flying. If it was meant to symbolize slavery and racism, then I would wish that no-one would ever forget, ignore, or try to brush away the impact that it has had on society.

Of course, everything written is just my humble opinion on the subject.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

You are free to display those symbols in your home or private property, but keep them off Federally owned lands.

But that's the whole statement, you see? The ironic sense of defiance is rhetorically powerful. And they don't like that.

Putting a Confederate flag in your yard simply advertises your stupidity. It has no power there, as a symbol of defiance.

Unless you're just trying to piss off your HOA.

Anyway. Done with the stupid flag thing. It is a distraction and I've been sucked in too far already.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

This video explains how some of us feel . The song and video is not an expression of all southerners .

Disclaimer ......

warning !!!!

This song portrays the offensive rebel flag, it contains graphic language but yet it doesn't mention racism once and yet it's still manages to express my opinion ?

The best part of being Southern is that you have enough confidence to even make fun of yourself !!!
edit on 28-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Can someone explain the whole Banning of the Confederate Flag issue? No, I don't think anyone can. Why? Because you think that Obama banned it. He did'nt
Because you think that the upset over it is 'all of a sudden'. It isn't. I has been one of a variety of white racism symbols for ages.
So until you understand how you are wrong about at least those two issues, then it is hopeless to explain any further.
Bye.
edit on 30America/ChicagoSun, 28 Jun 2015 00:03:02 -0500Sun, 28 Jun 2015 00:03:02 -050015062015-06-28T00:03:02-05:001200000003 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Obama does a lot of things in secret.

Nobody seems to know why.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Snopes--Falsea reply to: Ghost147

This did not happen. I think it is supposed to be removed from a few state capitol properties. But that is as far as it is going in regard to a 'ban'. Some companies refuse to sell the image or flag anymore, including the oldest flagmaker in the US and Warner Bros. says they will not give further licenses to create the 'General Lee' model toy car with said flag on top of the car. There are thousands of those kits available in hobby shops, they are not being pulled from shelves, but when they run out, there will be no more- for the moment, anyway. Warner Bros. could change their mind.

It is also being removed from some video games.

It is not being banned or cleansed from school textbooks.

For many, it is a symbol of hate and prejudice. After the shootings in South Carolina, the idea of removing the flag from state property became an issue and some businesses followed suit in removing them for sale via their business- like amazon and ebay.

This is the recent issue. Many have called for it's removal from state/government property for a long time.

That is what it is.

edit on 28-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I actually agree with your post. I didn't think that would ever happen.

Good job!

Never say never. I actually agree with a lot of your posts, or at least with the principles (I believe) which drive many of them.

Well, except for the above pedantic condescension, of course.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse Nice video. I don't have a problem with flags. Even people burning the American Flag. I would be interested in the reason why they do it, but otherwise it is a piece of cloth. You can love your country and protest against it via burning it's flag. It is an attention getter- like fu to the government. NOT FU to the country you love.

However, the symbolism of the confederate flag hurts many Americans. Therefore, it should not be on government property. If one wants to buy it and cover their home in it completely, go for it.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
28th

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation
I do agree with a lot of the member's comments here. I can definitely see how "they want all symbols of rebellion to be purged from society".

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer You make a good point about having it up to 'never forget'. But for some, they want to forget as it causes hurt.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Obama banned the conderate flag by executive order? You heard it? Do you have a source.

Claim: President Obama has signed an executive order banning the possession and sale of Confederate flags.

image: www.snopes.com...

FALSE

Read more at m.snopes.com...

Not the best source but ....

You really need to stop believing everything you hear. At least consider the source.

edit on 28-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join