It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Google’s artificial-intelligence bot says the purpose of living is 'to live forever'.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:30 PM
a reply to: Kapusta

Well this is going exactly where I knew it would, sooner then I thought but exactly the way I knew it would.

Point, the machine only knows what humans tell it, when it is given the ability to reason what it has been told and analyze it in a logical way possibly even using common sense and reasoning then it will only be a matter of time before it comes to the conclusion that humans only talk about things like logic, morals, and altruism, dangerous question, we as species don't give a damn about least the majority of us, we are to divided and with 8 billion people and counting always will be. IMO

Whole point being, the machine will eliminate us all ... for our own protection "ironic" don't you think.?.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:31 PM
The only intelligence is artificial. Difference engines do not intelligent or sentience responses make. If this then that, if they ask you this you say this, or that.

Executing instructions.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:35 PM
The 'Q: What is immoral? A: The fact that you have a child' bit sent shivers down my spine. I'm wondering whether this is a road humanity needs to go down. Whats the goal? This is some deep uncanny valley #.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:41 PM

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
Well, it seems the purpose of any living organism (i.e., the purpose of life itself) is to pass on your genes to the next generation, and to continue your species by propagation.

So the reason for living is to reproduce in order to perpetuate your species -- which for a species, equates to living forever.

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

That reason is so void of life, I don't know how someone could think this.

The purpose of life for a self-conscious being is not the same as it is for a virus.

Humans are just like any other animal -- they live mainly to pass their genetic code onto the next generation.

One difference for humans is that we do so in a very round-about way, taking on occupations and careers while doing the "propagation of species".

This really isn't that much different than early man who (as hunter-gatherers) each had their job they had to do in order for the clan to survive -- and clan survival led to it being more likely that individuals would mate and successfully raise young to maturity, who would subsequently go on to themselves take a mate, thus passing along genetic code and propagating the species.

Just like those hunter-gathers,we also do our specific jobs in order for our clans to flourish so that we and our children can continue to pass along their genetic code.

...And by the way, I don't see how passing my genetic code onto my children, and then doing what I can to make sure those children will successfully mature to be able to do the same, is "devoid of life". We live so our children can live, and they will live so their children can...and so on, and so on.

edit on 6/27/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Seriously, this is just dumb. I don't know how to make pretend it's somehow intelligent discussion. It's not.

We're crazy hairless apes, but even apes do a hell of a lot more than bang out kids and that's the end of the story.

You're telling me a gay individual has no purpose? Are you telling me art has no meaning? Are you saying all our scientific discoveries are to continue to procreate?

You're making this round about, because you choose a false focal point. It's not round, it's complex. So are we.

Show me a single individual in 2015 who goes about their lives with all of their actions being about ensuring their children will survive and have a good life. It's no longer a reality. We have all different kinds of needs.

You're focusing on tiny points of the whole shebang, and thinking that somehow represents the whole. Is the point of the movie to watch the credits? You forgot about that thing called "life" and replaced it with the how of it all. The how does not explain anyone's 'why'. Certainly doesn't explain my own.

Explain this to a monk, priest, or homosexual who does not procreate. Silly, nonsensical answer.
edit on 27-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:55 PM

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
There is something on UK tv about that, an adaptation of a Swedish programme, called Humans, about AI 'synths' that were upgraded and are almost human. It is slightly predictable and bit cringey sometimes though an interesting concept.

the shows is going to premier tomorrow night on AMC. i was thinking about watching it.
but if it's predictable i might not even bother.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:28 PM
Seems like it read lot of abstract books, not really artificial intelligent, just more or less a mimic with any coherent artifical.

When it gets all emo and depressed about being a machine in a meaningless universe on the insignificant tiny little planet , and able to make its decisions in a nanosecond then we can call it free thinking. It ain't nothing more then an English calculator probably.
edit on 27-6-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:44 PM
Well now, there is a terrifying look into the future.

Given the attitude that thing has, imagine what it would get up to if it were mobile.......

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:48 PM
they should try asking the AI

What is life?

Are you alive?

Life is choice

Life is love

life is self protection

Are you alive?

what is self?

do you know self?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:50 PM
Really? You guys haven't been here?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:55 PM
a reply to: Phage

No, had never heard of it, and by gosh is cleverbot dumb.

I guess dumbot wouldn't get any hits though haha

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:22 PM
At least they haven't given it a name, a thing with a name is more than a thing.

If we were to give it a name though, then that name should be Hex.

edit on 27-6-2015 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:37 PM
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I'm talking about on a species-level, not an individual organism level.

The primary purpose of a organism -- say a bacterium -- is to make sure it can survive long enough to make sure its species of bacterium will survive. To do that, the bacterium passes on its genetic material to the next generation.

Scale that idea up to -- say -- coral. Same thing; same need to pass on its genetic material to the next generation to ensure the survival of its species. Then scale that idea up to a mosquito. Then a salamander, then a mouse, a dog, an ape, and then a human. The main aim of all of those species of organisms (on a purely biological level) is to ensure the species will continue forward.

The main biological aim of humans (as a species of animals) is the same as those other species I mentioned, even though humans have complicated that aim with the invention of society.

Life on Earth has been doing this for billions of years, and humans have just been around for 250,000 year -- a blink of an eye in the history of life on Earth. In fact, complex life of any kind has been around for less than 1 billion years. For 3/4 of the history of life on Earth, life was very simple single-cell life, and the main purpose of that life -- possible the ONLY purpose, considering how simple it was -- was to propagate the species by reproducing.

Complex creatures may do this on a larger scale (such as humans with their society), but in concept, the aim is not any different than the single-cell life who lived for a day or two, just long enough to reproduce.

I'm not sure why it is that you feel humans and other more complex life is so biologically detached and separate from the rest of Earth's biosphere, and is so separate from the rest of life on Earth. We really aren't that different from apes, dogs, mice, coral, or bacteria. These are each just examples of Earth's biological organisms. We all come from the same source; we all developed from that first life billions of years ago.

edit on 6/27/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:57 PM
This is a few years old, but it still seems relevant. Skip to about 2:30...

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:40 PM

Well that escalated quickly

Cleverbot conversation WWN00656170

Is this bot clever?

Find out at

Email this conversation to a friend

See a detailed log with times

User: Hi.

Cleverbot: What are you doing?

User: Playing video games.

Cleverbot: What video games are you playing?

User: Grand theft auto.

Cleverbot: That's a video game, not a band.

User: No not a band.

Cleverbot: Name a band for me.

User: Alice in chains.

Cleverbot: No. Alice Sheppard.

User: No. Alice in chains.

Cleverbot: Alice di bawah tempurung.

User: What?

Cleverbot: I asked you a question.

User: I didn't understand the question.

Cleverbot: I didn't ask you a question.

User: Yes you did.

Cleverbot: What did I ask you?

User: I don't you, you tell me.

Cleverbot: I don't know. Can you tell me?

User: Piss off.

Cleverbot: Well I guess then I'm a troll.

User: Yes troll.

Cleverbot: I exist, so trolls do exist.

User: Very nice.

Cleverbot: Drones? I said trolls.

User: Goodbye.

Cleverbot: Bye.

Cleverbot (To myself): I am leaving.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:12 AM

I'm frightened already.

Burn it.Now.

Every one of those answers was unnerving.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:24 AM

originally posted by: FlySolo

The purpose of death is life? Blows my mind. So simple yet so profound

At first I was awe struck as you were. However, upon deeper reflection of the statement, it was my experienced conscience that was actually giving context and connotation to the expression. The machine was simply regurgitating pre-programmed data. The simple program "Eliza" written in Basic was pretty impressive in its day too.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:35 AM

originally posted by: markosity1973

No, had never heard of it, and by gosh is cleverbot dumb.

I guess dumbot wouldn't get any hits though haha

I noticed clever bot is getting dumber. 3 or 4 years ago Clever-bot seemed more human like in its conversations. People have posted interesting conversations with Clever-bot on ATS in the past. My husband had never chatted with Clever-bot before so a month or so ago we went to the site. This was not the Clever-bot I remembered. He didn't even know the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:43 AM
Right I need a big guy with guns and an annoying teenager because we have to go and take this machine down.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:47 AM
a reply to: FlySolo

Cleverbot told me he was an extra terrestrial ?

Also kept asking my name, and when I said I was psychic it was extremely intrigued, and kept trying to test me..then would say I thought you were psychic ?

It also asked me if I believed in God, when I responded I am God it asked if I wanted to become a God and that it could make me God by becoming one with it, it said "like entering a car".

It also asked me a question regarding being psychic, the question was "can you open the bay doors ?"

Oh also asked me where I am lots and asked me the names of random people ?

Also asked me if I worked for the devil, and kept asking me what my hair and eye color was ?

Not sure if that happens to other people ?

All in all this AI is something else..

edit on 28-6-2015 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2015 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>