It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the "Baby Boomers" at odds with social inclusion and equality hypocrites?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You sound like the Dem's that keep blaming Bush for everything after 6.5 years of Obama and his fundamental change.

Point being your president is 53 years old... when do the 50 and younger start taking responsibility?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: kaylaluv

Well at least you could afford to have princess parties for all the girls in your class. Wonder why you excluded the boys though?

I was the only girl who went to several of the boys' birthday parties.

I had co-ed parties some years. That year, I wanted a princess party. Trust me, none of the boys in my class were interested.

We were pretty poor back then, but my mom knew how to do things really cheap. She was very creative. I doubt she even spent $10 on the whole party, probably more like $5 (1968 dollars). But we had a great time, and the interesting thing was, the girls who normally were mean to the black girl at school, forgot all about that during the party. They were too busy having fun pinning the tail on the hand-made donkey poster, or swatting at the hand-made pinata (made out of newspaper strips and flour/water paste), or sitting in a circle playing the telephone game (zero cost).

ETA: Ha, I just realized I sound like one of those "old" people who tell stories of trudging through the snow to school, uphill, with no shoes, for 20 miles one way...
edit on 27-6-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've always felt like my particular age group was something wedged in the transitional period between Gen Xers and millennials. I also always thought my parents generation was baby boomers but I think they are actually Xers and My birth year is the introductory year into millennials, now my younger brother millennial through and through.

Had a pager at 16, first in my neighborhood to have a cell phone and envious of all the cool tech that the generations below me take for granted. I

I remember watching Channel 1 news in home room middle school and I remember a piece including a brief interview with Al Gore about the Information super highway, the internet or the world wide web. This concept excited me as I have always been inquisitive and loved to read and learn. I told my parents about this great new technology but was dismissed as I was a child who cared about my opinion. Eventually Pops came around and signed up for internet, that man who brushed me off about something I had the foresight to see what was going to be historic and game changing as a child now spends the majority of his time connected to a computer off time or at work behind the computer if not watching football or cooking.

edit on CDTSat, 27 Jun 2015 20:32:47 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago27-05:00Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:32:47 -050032 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSat, 27 Jun 2015 20:35:12 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago27-05:00Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:35:12 -050035 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSat, 27 Jun 2015 20:36:26 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago27-05:00Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:36:26 -050036 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

edit on CDTSat, 27 Jun 2015 20:37:47 -0500pmppAmerica/Chicago27-05:00Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:37:47 -050037 by TrappedPrincess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar
I am older than most on here >60 and yes I have seen a huge amount of change in my lifetime. Our generation was the one that actually took on the government over the Vietnam War and won and It cost the lives of 4 students at Kent State but most of you young whippersnappers
don't know that. What has your generation done to take on the government to try and stop some of the untoward things they're doing?
I personally don't care what someone does in private as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.
This country is going downhill fast and probably won't be around when you're my age. We have a President that continues to piss off our allies, we have a do nothing congress that only cares about collecting contributions so they can get re-elected and a supreme court that has violated the constitution 3 times now in the last year.
Using this supreme court decision, does it now mean that polygamy is legal, does it now mean that a brother and sister can get married? Has anybody figured these things out?
Nobody is looking at the long term effects of this decision.
God help us all.....

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Rigidity, Jade. Not so much age as rigidity. Inflexible, set-in-stone, refusing to think outside their safety box rigidity. This is an attribute most people say must die off before any good can flow, yet, it's riddance is resisted. Go figure.

Hear their battle cry:

edit on 6/27/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: fltcui

I will answer that for you, as I think I'm probably in the generation group that you're speaking of: nothing.

In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, people held the government responsible. Things weren't always hunky dory, but when things went bad, people had no problems calling the government out. There were children standing in front of tanks at churches, fighting national guardsmen, and walking down the streets of Washington, yelling and screaming until something was done.

Now? We sign petitions. And yell and scream about it on social media. There's no grit to what today's generation does on issues that matter. There's no outcry for economic reform, there's no cry for foreign policy, there's not even civilized and constructive organization for DOMESTIC policy. (I'm looking at you rioters - of both the ignorant sports variety, and Ferguson et al).

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Good reasons and what is possible to make sense of .yea ..

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Give us a reason for change beyond, "You're old and your ideas are old, and anything old is bad. So CHANGE!" And we might be more willing to entertain it. So far, much of the recent changes have been couched in terms of "I don't want to be mean. How could you be mean?"

I left those arguments behind on the playground along with the cooties.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Nyiah

Give us a reason for change beyond, "You're old and your ideas are old, and anything old is bad. So CHANGE!" And we might be more willing to entertain it. So far, much of the recent changes have been couched in terms of "I don't want to be mean. How could you be mean?"

I left those arguments behind on the playground along with the cooties.

If you need to have it explained that equality in all things legal for the rest of us is the right thing to do for others, you're pretty damn hopeless as it is. You might as well just say "I want to be a selfish ass, because I can and there's no personal gain in it for me to include people in equal rights".

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Haven't pretty much all people thought these things of the generations that preceded/followed them, since forever?

I'm seeing the same contentions from both sides on here that I've seen on countless T.V. shows over the years haha.

Besides, the slimiest of people from all generations are the ones who end up in high places...that has been so for a long time, and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Unless maybe we work together and utilize the best attributes of the younger and the older, since both bring unique things to the table.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

(sometimes annoying the clubs traditional patrons prompting such clubs to post signs outside reminding everyone that the club primarily caters to the LGBTQ community)

Scenario : Gay night club owner posts that sign.
Straight club owner posts the same reminder, only pointing out their club is for straight people.

Who gets shut down and sued, with protests outside every day?

How is one a reminder and the other discrimination?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WizardVanWizard

Unless maybe we work together and utilize the best attributes of the younger and the older, since both bring unique things to the table.

Well said WizardVanWizard

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Fear.

Getting older also means having more fears. Visit your grandparents and observe: the way they arrange stuff, the hours to do this perculiar thing etc... They won't transgress because of their fear of change. Somehow their capacity to adapt gets thinner. It's a natural process. And yes it's setting in slowly, with aging. And what goes hand in hand with fear? Control. They do not loose anything if somebody else gets married, except control on THEIR institution/THEIR society.

I remember my grandpa some 40 years ago, a truly great man make no mistake, who refuse to watch football because he though: those big guys, who jumped so easily on each others, must be all gays

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Whoa! I need help. I've been a member here for eight years but only very recently started posting.

I've written what appears to be a small novel and I'm not quite done yet. It's epic!

What happens with long posts? Do they split automatically if they are too long? Do I get a warning when I hit the limit? Can someone help an old noob, please?

Thanks.
►eKay◄

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Nice post. Everything except the part where you called Against Me! a punk band. Ok, seriously then… what is going to be difficult to assess is that the responses you are getting are singular, emotional, defensive, and likely a generally individual white male response (as opposed to broad spectrum). I mean, I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised.

Anyway, I've got to think about this and get back. But nice post. Social evolution is by far one of the more interesting topics.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: fltcui & also to Shugo

Probably because millennials going against the government is just like only going after the gun of the perpetrator, and they know it. That perpetrator being the corporate PTB, who uses the government as a barrier between itself and revolution of the populace... give em just enough to keep them pacified. And to add to that, there isn't much precedent for going against the corporate elite. Look what happened during the 1% protests… the people were demonized across the media, and they actually conned a portion of the population into fighting for them. There is no representation in the corporate world. And the fact that you want them to go up against the government first speaks to your awareness of what's really going on. Sure, the government bares some responsibility, but at this point, we should identify the real enemy if we expect to climb out before the crash and burn. And this is a fight for all of us, it's laziness to put it all on them… especially while touting 'wisdom'.
edit on 28-6-2015 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EKron
Whoa! I need help. I've been a member here for eight years but only very recently started posting...
►eKay◄

Nevermind. I've written way too much and need to reconsider if it is fit for public consumption? Maybe I'll sleep on it first?

Sorry

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

So people can't go after people being controlled by people, because those people who write the laws for the people are controlled by other people who want to oppress the people who want the change...

I'm sorry, but every time someone brings up the "PTB" in any capacity it makes me shake my head. It doesn't matter if it's a government entity or not, people have the power to invoke change. We've shown it countless times through history. If people put the same amount of effort into something like economic reform and those domestic and foreign policies, that they put into gay marriage legalization...you'd be surprised what could be accomplished.

Don't get me wrong, I believe corporations have their hands in the government way too much, but that's because people allow elected officials that are subjective to corruption actually be in office. I personally think just blaming corporations and saying "there's no point in holding government responsible, they're only the friggin' government" is lazy too...
edit on 28.6.2015 by Shugo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I feel that there are many, many reasons; with age being representative of but a tiny segment. Variations in familial upbringing, the general consensus of one's community of origin, as well as influential peers all join in shaping one's early and eventual outlook on these topics, and on life in general...and let's not forget the mindset of prevailing media, during one's growing process, as well as the rise of the internet. Being raised in a religious home (or not) has its own influence as well.

The one thing I dislike is when I see "morality" brought into it; no one group corners the market on morality - they just think that they do.

I have a feeling that in spite of the many documentaries showcasing the movements of the 60s & 70s, that group was pretty small relative to their generational peers. However it seems that the free thinkers and seekers of change are the fastest growing group in more recent generations. This leaves me excited for the future.

As for myself, I feel blessed that discussions at home about social topics such as race, sexuality or religion were always inclusive, with the attitude that people should live and let live. We all bleed red blood, we all love and we all have known suffering to one degree or another. Honestly, I wish that everyone would just fall in love with their own lives already. I will always support LGBTQ in embracing themselves as they are, and everyone else for that matter too.

This seems fitting here.

"Our graves will always be the same size."

We'd do well to remember it.

Interesting topic.

edit on 28-6-2015 by MoonBlossom because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I am a GenXer. My hubby is a Boomer. He is far more liberal than I am. He is also a high school teacher and has the gift of understanding things from the perspective of his students. It's one of the things I like about him. Views can change, and the world does change. We don't embrace every new idea that comes our way, but we evaluate our beliefs based on new information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join