It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How malleable is space-time? It bends. But can we stretch it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
So, A friend of mine works with a guy studying astrophysics and apparently boggled his mind with this question.

How malleable is space time? We know it can bend, but what's the opposite of bending? Straightening? Can space time stretch?

This astrophysics guy wanted to know why you would ever want to stretch it?

My friend said "What if we knew there were hostile aliens coming towards our planet, maybe we could stretch the space between them and earth indefinately".

It got me thinking about other things you could do with stretched space time. I thought about a solid wall. What if you could stretch the space-time in the middle of that wall. Could it create enough space that I could walk through that wall and into the "bank vault ;-p" and then close the space time behind me as i go through and it would be a solid wall again?

I thought that if done on the small enough scale we might be able to separate electrons, neutrons, protons, etc from one another effectively molecularly decomposing atoms down to their basic building blocks so that we could make whatever atoms we want. Or maybe that they would still be connected to one another like normal even with that space in between...

Does anyone know something about these things?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE
Space is expanding. As we speak. But...

Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

The libraries and internet is full of books on relativity.
space needs to be "warped" for the equations to work, and to create gravity's pull without a force.
But the confusion is really created due to the fact that we use "time" to calculate speed, but the definition of "time" is not constant (something we did not know before), but we still pretend that time is constant and need to accept the consequences.

Time is merely a way to (try) keep track of changes in our three dimensional space. The world is NOT 4-dimensional no matter how many times someone tells you that. You can't "travel" in time. You can only manipulate how "fast" you "age" compared to other people.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I don't know about space time but I know earth time...earth time is quite malleable.
We save it, we waste it, we spend it, we do it, we make it, we arrange it, we have it, it's good, it's bad, it's long , it's short, it's over, it's past, it's almost. Time...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nevertheless

The libraries and internet is full of books on relativity.
space needs to be "warped" for the equations to work, and to create gravity's pull without a force.
But the confusion is really created due to the fact that we use "time" to calculate speed, but the definition of "time" is not constant (something we did not know before), but we still pretend that time is constant and need to accept the consequences.

Time is merely a way to (try) keep track of changes in our three dimensional space. The world is NOT 4-dimensional no matter how many times someone tells you that. You can't "travel" in time. You can only manipulate how "fast" you "age" compared to other people.

Actually an object exists in 11 dimensions . And yes there is a 4th dimension .
11 Dimensions Explained

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Time is also relative. One minute is sixty seconds right? But spend that one minute kissing someone you love and another minute sitting in a tack and see which minute is longer.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Actually an object exists in 11 dimensions .

According to string "theory". Which isn't actually a theory (can't be tested) but a mathematical construct.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Actually an object exists in 11 dimensions .

According to string "theory". Which isn't actually a theory (can't be tested) but a mathematical construct.

Ah , but my favorite subject . 11 dimensions and the theory all universes in the multiverse exist through these together .Side by side.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hmm interesting question but I think your application or thought on application isn't correct. - Sorry best way I can word it atm.
Not that I am saying your wrong, just the application of the idea... This comment will make sense soon.

Your question is asking if we can stretch space time between two points to slow an attacker and give us more time to ready ourselves.

When in fact that application is moot as if Space Time is malleable and if we have control over it, all we'd simply need to do is increase our Space Time speed.
Meaning that all we'd need to do, is increase the rate in which time passes to us, relative to the rest of the Galaxy.

Great example of this in the movie Interstellar with Black Holes and Relative Time Dilation.

Basically, if we move faster through time than our alien attackers, it would give us more time to advance in tech and setup defenses against them.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Uh oh

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SovakaBasically, if we move faster through time than our alien attackers, it would give us more time to advance in tech and setup defenses against them.

what? me thinks your understanding of string theory [sic] is wrong!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Please. Saying that there are 11 dimensions is like saying there are there is a god.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Alcubierre drive?I was so hoping that would work.

Silly limitations,eh?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

No, I don't think you understand what I said.

If we move through time at a rate of 1:1 to another planet, an hour is equal on both planets.
If we can alter our time rate to a ratio of say 100:1, then we would pass 100 hours to the other planets 1 hour.

That would in effect give us more time to develop and defend ourselves verse the "alien" attackers.

It's all relative.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
So, A friend of mine works with a guy studying astrophysics and apparently boggled his mind with this question.

How malleable is space time? We know it can bend, but what's the opposite of bending? Straightening? Can space time stretch?

This astrophysics guy wanted to know why you would ever want to stretch it?

My friend said "What if we knew there were hostile aliens coming towards our planet, maybe we could stretch the space between them and earth indefinately".

It got me thinking about other things you could do with stretched space time. I thought about a solid wall. What if you could stretch the space-time in the middle of that wall. Could it create enough space that I could walk through that wall and into the "bank vault ;-p" and then close the space time behind me as i go through and it would be a solid wall again?

I thought that if done on the small enough scale we might be able to separate electrons, neutrons, protons, etc from one another effectively molecularly decomposing atoms down to their basic building blocks so that we could make whatever atoms we want. Or maybe that they would still be connected to one another like normal even with that space in between...

Does anyone know something about these things?

I think with the mind time can be streched.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Please. Saying that there are 11 dimensions is like saying there are there is a god.

Or a god particle.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Or a god particle.

You mean it's original name, "that goddamn particle"? It has nothing to do with god.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

How malleable is space-time? It bends. But can we stretch it?

Bending space usually involves stretching it.

If you bend a fabric, the fabric will stretch to form the bend.

Notice how bent squares are stretched to form the bend.

edit on 28-6-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

originally posted by: Gothmog

Or a god particle.

You mean it's original name, "that goddamn particle"? It has nothing to do with god.

Yes that gd particle , which very well may be the particle that gives all objects mass and gravity and may very well be the "building block" of the universe. Thus the shortened "god particle" . Thus making this post on topic.
edit on 28-6-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I think all we need to do is make a stable set of magnetic fields like an onion then on the outer layer move light photons in a circular pattern creating a field of constantly accelerating particles, sped up continuously by magnetism. Whalaa instant time machine. Make sure its contained between two other fields so the particles are trapped.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join