It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval Combat World Championship MALBORK 2015 USA v Poland.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
They're not using the weapons properly. Where are the archers?!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

It needs archers !
Heck it needs it all castles, boiling oil (maple syrup will do).
More "Run Away!"
I think the sport will evolve

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
This indeed is one of the greatest sports. Recently there has been a huge boost in this kind of stuff, even full contact football with mma-sort rules. Check, www.youtube.com...

I am training for this also. It will take some years to achieve such level of skill and equipment, but even training is fun. And at summer training outdoors, like in parks and such, makes perfect excuse to look absolute badass publicly. I mean, wielding hand and half sword wearing traditional clothing looks quite nice.

I've been thinking why people have been getting into this kind of sports and my best guess is that modern, civilized society forbids aggressive manners so badly that sometimes those come thru, either as a mass shootings or organized sports. World needs gladiators. Spectators need spectacles.

This sport is called buhurt. It was created in order to practice combat without getting killed. There are several different groups involved in swordsmanship, including HMB(which this thread was about), HEMA (that was mentioned later, that combat in modern armour) and then there is also SCA, combat with wooden swords. Kendo should also be mentioned and all other groups like olympic fencers, but thats none of my business.
HMB has been divided to several continental branches. Europe has HMBIA, USA has IMCF. If you are looking for official information, please look your nearest group or proper site. I love this but i'm not Official contact.

The best thing in this is that if your sparring partner annoys you, you are supposed to strike him with a sword. Sometimes even with an axe.

My support goes to "Swordlions", national team of Finland. We got a cavetroll
(7' tall hulk wielding two handed sword) We have also a fair lady dealing nasty blows

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
It will take many more generations before the primitive becomes rudimentary in man.

Fun to watch tho... why not give them an extra handicap and up the entertainment value. Like....put them on ice and give them ice-skates to wear.

Hmmm...does remind me of an other sport...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MainWire

Does look expensive though.
Any tips on getting started equipment wise?.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Comedy value would be custard pies thrown by a jester then they duff him up

top topics

<< 1   >>

join