It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why has Nasa not talked about the Rover's?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Mizar says:

" 'It's a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence.'
It follows that astronomers are bad detectives."

Hardly. Scientists theorize based on their observations; as more evidence is found, it either validates or invalidates the hypotheses. I f we waited until all the evidence was in before theorizing or hypoithesizing, we'd have no theories at all!

Off_the_street-
I didn't say that some other guy did. I got the quote from a astronomy joke site. Its meant to be funny not to be true. Sorry you found it offnesive. I love astronomers I am one

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Costs money for updates and science/actual rover ops are the getting the money plus it is the holiday season - give em a break as they've done a bang up job already plus the alien window washers need some time to do their work.

Also DSN (Deep Space Network) is being focused on Cassini and Huygens stuff at the moment and probably will be until Huygens goes into/onto Titan on Jan 14th....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
No more gun talk, please. Let's keep this on topic. if you want to talk guns, head to another part of the forum or send each other U2Us. Thanks much.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
quote; - i thought i heard some news report saying it costs millions to run those rover's every month but thxs for correcting me[" be intersting to see if we find some alien lifeform drinking alien booze watching tv haha but who knows right.

would be even funnier if we got photos of an alien humping one of the rovers -lol

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
January 3, Monday
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Twelve Wheels on Mars - JPL (Informational Program)
2 p.m. - 3 p.m. - News Briefing - One Year on Mars (Including Mr. O�Keefe) - JPL (Interactive Media Briefing)
3 p.m. - 4 p.m. - "Stories from Mars You've Never Heard Before" - JPL (Informational Program)
4 p.m. - 4:20 p.m. - Mars segment from the "Spirit of Exploration" - JPL (Informational Program)
4:20 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Live News Interviews - JPL (One-Way Media Interviews)

www.nasa.gov...

I want to see the 3 pm to 4 pm section and maybe the 4 to 4.20 pm has some strange things in it to but have to wait and see.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by c00ster
quote;

would be even funnier if we got photos of an alien humping one of the rovers -lol

Hee hee - too funny.
Get over here you sexy little be-yatch rover and bark like a dog....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I watched a show on PBS about the whole Mars mission and I can say undoubtedly that what NASA did is easily one of the greatest achievements of mankind, and it was worth every penny, and is still worth every penny.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Kookoo

NASA - no, actually JPL nerds on a shoestring budget and what was up with the crass tsunami comments in that other ATSNN thread?? You sound sane but what the hell was up with that - SO leave you or something and take the freakin' icecube trays or what..??

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Dolores Beasley
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1753)

Guy Webster
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
(Phone: 818/354-6278)

Dec. 30, 2004
MEDIA ADVISORY: M04-213

NASA Events Commemorate Rover Anniversary on Mars

On Jan. 3, 2004, cheers erupted from mission control at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), when the first robotic rover successfully landed on Mars. Three weeks later, the second rover successfully landed on the opposite side of Mars.

One year later rovers Spirit and Opportunity have exceeded all mission expectations and continue to make discoveries. The goal of NASA's Mars Exploration Rover (MER) mission was to explore for a minimum of 90 days to search for evidence of past water activity.

"One Year on Mars," a special two-hour live event to commemorate the mission, will be presented at JPL on Monday, Jan. 3, 2005, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. EST. The live event, along with additional taped programming and live-shot opportunities, will be aired on NASA-TV.

At 2 p.m. EST, a news briefing will detail discoveries made in 2004, and the rover's outlook for 2005. Panelists:

� � NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe
� � Dr. Charles Elachi, Director, JPL
� � Jim Erickson, MER Project Manager, JPL
� � Dr. Steve Squyres, MER Principal Investigator, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
� � Dr. Firouz Naderi, MER Program Manager, JPL
� � Dr. Jim Garvin, Chief Scientist, NASA Headquarters, Washington.

At 3 p.m. EST, the MER team will present "Mars Stories We've Never Told." This 60-minute live program will feature members recounting personal experiences of the past year. The program will end with the cutting of a rover "birthday cake."

Two additional rover programs will air on NASA TV on Monday. "Twelve Wheels on Mars" airs at 1 p.m. EST. This 60-minute program features professional storyteller Syd Lieberman, who spent several months with the MER team. "Two for Two" a 20-minute program about the rovers airs at 4 p.m. EST.

Live shot opportunities with Squyres are available from 4:20 to 7:00 p.m. EST. To book a window for a live shot, contact Jack Dawson at: 818/354-0040. News media must contact the JPL media relations' office in advance at: 818/ 354-5011 to arrange access to events.

NASA TV is available on the Web and via satellite in the continental U.S. on AMC-6, Transponder 9C, C-Band, at 72 degrees west longitude. The frequency is 3880.0 MHz. Polarization is vertical, and audio is monaural at 6.80 MHz. In Alaska and Hawaii, NASA TV is available on AMC-7, Transponder 18C, C-Band, at 137 degrees west longitude. The frequency is 4060.0 MHz. Polarization is vertical, and audio is monaural at 6.80 MHz. For NASA TV information and schedules on the Internet, visit:
www.nasa.gov...

JPL has managed the Mars Exploration Rover project since it began in 2000. Anniversary multimedia features will be added Monday to rover information available on the Web at:
www.nasa.gov...

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

- end -

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You also might think that nighttime winds blew some of the dust away, or an electrical storm changed the electrostatic potential of the arrays so the dust didn't stick to them, or maybe a combination of both of those phenomena.

Yeah that is probably the correct explanantion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join