It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why has Nasa not talked about the Rover's?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
why has Nasa not talked about the rover's on mars? have they found anything new? weren't they supposed to only be up there for like 2months or so, why spend so much more money on a planet that seems dead? how much money is pouring into these rover's each day/month? i would say Millions.... how can they afford a mission like that? yes many Q's but alot of smart people that can answer them

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Jamie6661986]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
NASA isn't talking about the rovers on Mars? That's not exactly accurate. The last update on the Mars Rover homepage was on Dec 23, 2004. Opportunity is tracing its steps back to examine the heatshield (to test a design model), while Spirit just dislodged a potato-sized rock from one of its wheels.

Both rovers have survived much longer than originally projected, so in fact we're getting more bang for the buck.

You can track daily rover progress, and find the answers to most of your questions, on this NASA website:

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

MK

[edit on 26-12-2004 by MKULTRA]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
mabey nasa on there WEBSITE but not newschannels like Foxnews,CNN,local news channels....

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
doesn't it cost money to run those things? daily?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamie6661986
doesn't it cost money to run those things? daily?

No cost at all....they have solar powered batteries...transmission of photos is free....I guess you could say that the people at NASA are getting paid to monitor the rovers, so in a way it costs, but the rovers in them selves are pretty self sufficient...no cost to "run" them ..

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
FoxNews and CNN won't report on the mars rovers unless they find Usama bin Laden. The real cost of the rover missions is the task of getting the rover from here on earth to then land on mars.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
i thought i heard some news report saying it costs millions to run those rover's every month but thxs for correcting me[" be intersting to see if we find some alien lifeform drinking alien booze watching tv haha but who knows right.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Fox news CBS CNN and all the other major ancors do not report the Rover news becasue there are alot of things that people care about more. There is intrest in the rovers only when its something cool. People don't care about that rovers have been working for almost 50% longer than they were expected. I foun din 2 places that oppertunity sighted clouds on mars last week but when they had the mysterious cleaning of the solar pannales I heard that on CNN CBS FOX and in my local news papaer. THe cold hard truth is more people care about money the presidient the war on terror and other world eveents and not the fact that mars is a possibly habitiable place for humans in a few hundred years of teraforming. People care more about something mysterious and odd than a proven fact. Thats why this site is so popular.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
very intersting, clensing of there solar panels? clouds? tell more

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Clouds and cliffs. this is the only place aside from teh NASA site that I saw this
skyandtelescope.com...

ignorancedenied.com...

And visit the rover site by JPL for a wealth of info on the missions seince the begining. THe immage archive holds all immages taken which are thousands upon thousands and all the news seince the begining is there.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

If your also intrestind in the MARS terrain check my weekly posts on the THEMIS and Global survweyr missons here

ignorancedenied.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Has anyone heard of NASA's replacement for the shuttles by the name of Venture Star? It is triangular in shape and is basically a lifting body. It is made to fly about 100 cycles befrore any major maintence. I aslo suspect, that since it is of a triangular shape, do you think it could be mistaken for all the recent sightings of triangular lights throughtout the world? I would sure like to know what kind of propulsion system it uses. People who have reported the weird lights say it produces no noise at relativley low alttitudes. I think I remember that NASA said it would be redy to deploy by 2006

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
thxs for the links, and to the new shuttels its possible and to all the new aircraft not listed in ower militray magazines and things such as secret aircraft that goes supersonic speeds that look like ufo's

[edit on 26-12-2004 by Jamie6661986]

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i d/n why but don't the Nasa images look fake like CG pics?

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

very intersting, clensing of there solar panels?

They said something on the news that in the evening the solar panels were loaded with dust, but in the morning they were mysteriously clean again, so you might think some Martians had been cleaning them

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Mizar says:

" 'It's a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence.'
It follows that astronomers are bad detectives."

Hardly. Scientists theorize based on their observations; as more evidence is found, it either validates or invalidates the hypotheses. I f we waited until all the evidence was in before theorizing or hypoithesizing, we'd have no theories at all!

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Niclas says:

"They said something on the news that in the evening the solar panels were loaded with dust, but in the morning they were mysteriously clean again, so you might think some Martians had been cleaning them."

You also might think that nighttime winds blew some of the dust away, or an electrical storm changed the electrostatic potential of the arrays so the dust didn't stick to them, or maybe a combination of both of those phenomena.

I think that sounds a bit more likely that Martians LOL!

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

why has Nasa not talked about the rover's on mars?

Get your information straight. They are press releases, conferences, and up loads of photos and other data from the rovers.

weren't they supposed to only be up there for like 2months or so, why spend so much more money on a planet that seems dead?

So thy shoudl just shut off the rovers which aren't really costing anything major to keep running?
The rovers had a life expectancy, that didn't mean that they'd stop operating after a certain date.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
OFF_THE_STREET......NCE GUNN AK47!!!!! I WANTONE!!!

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

i thought i heard some news report saying it costs millions to run those rover's every month but thxs for correcting me[" be intersting to see if we find some alien lifeform drinking alien booze watching tv haha but who knows right.

It just might with all of the satellite networks, computer stations, salaries, food, coffee, electricity of the stations, and contracts with other countries to relay the signals and whatnot.

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Jamie6661986 sys:

"OFF_THE_STREET......NCE GUNN AK47!!!!! I WANTONE!!!'

Well, since you're 18, you can buy a gun in Arizona, and don't have to have a license or any special training (although you do have a background check if you buy it from a gun dealer).

Actually, it's not really an AK-47 although it is built on the Kalashnikov action. It's a semiautomatic carbine from the PRC, called the MAK-90, which is just another name (near as I can figure out) for the Type 56. It's made by Norinco, which uses relatively think steel (1.5 mm) for the receiver.

It does have a stamped receiver, but the barrel and gas tube are both chrome lined, so that nasty berdan-primed corrosive ammunition won't tear up the barrel. I've put about 2000 rounds of 7.62X39 through it and it works just fine.

What you can't really rely on, though, is the aftermarket scopes, since the receiver cover has to come off for a field-strip. If you think of the gun as a modern version of a Winchester Model 94 for hunting, it makes sense.

Actually I bought it (and another) for my wife to use while deer hunting, because it doesn't have very much recoil compared to a bolt-action .308 or even a lever-action .30-.30.

I think they sell now for about $450 to $550.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join