It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The republic of Australia.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
So why isn't Australia a independent republic yet?

Even back in 1999 (I was still 2 years to young to vote at the time) we had a referendum on whether Australia should be a republic and we voted 'no'. Even though the Queen of England clearly stated that it was time us Aussies stand on our own two feet.

The advocates who were against a republic used the slogan "if it's not broke, then why fix it"? A complete sell out, imo.

Why are Australian citizens to scared to become an independent nation? It's not like being apart of the commonwealth has any positive advantages. I mean, it's not like the pome's will back us up in a global crisis, they already proved there lack of loyalty during WWII. It was the Americans who proved loyal as a nation who would stand by us and help secure our border, when the s# hits the fan.

Anyway......... it just makes no sense that us Aussies aren't an independent country yet. We're like the 12th most wealthiest nation on earth and the 5th most wealthiest per capita by gdp (nominal). We are also within the top 5 producers of basically every major natural resource on earth.

So why won't we just man up already and become a completely independent nation?

We already have a perfectly appropriate flag.

Any Aussie who declines to show there support for Australia becoming a independent Republic, is just soft in the head, imo.
edit on 27-6-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Isn't your affiliation with the Crown, largely symbolic?

Such as my home country of Canada?

If that's the case, I don't really see the need of officially becoming 'independent'.

And isn't Australia a Parliamentary Democracy? You'd have to change your entire way of doing things to be a republic.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Our affiliation with the Crown has been completely symbolic, since 1901. But I personally feel it's extremely important that we become completely (symbolically) independent of the Crown, then totally reestablish how our form of government operates.

(post by hellobruce removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Ah OK. I wasn't sure if you meant just seperate yourself from the Crown, or completely redo your government system.

Seems like you want to accomplish both by doing the latter. That makes sense. Although it's not easy. The Republic in the US only got that way because of 50+ little nations who wanted to get together to make one big one.

I dunno if that mentality of 'independent' states is popular in Australia or not.

Not a bad idea though. Republics are better than democracies.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They are your Royal Family too, just as they are for us in the UK.

Canada and Australia are independent beyond the Crown.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Yes it is, the only affiliation with the Crown is the Queen appoints the Governor General the PM nominates.

And isn't Australia a Parliamentary Democracy? You'd have to change your entire way of doing things to be a republic.

That is something the republicans always ignore, also what power would the new El Presidente actually have.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

We are a independent nation....

Any Aussie who does not know Australia is already a independent country is soft in the head.

Then why do we have the union jack on our national flag and a prime minster instead of a president?

Even if it is just symbolic, it still has a major influence on how we're viewed among the world.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Why would you wanna change?

We kick butt in the Commonwealth games...if we become a republic no more athleticical dominance.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Then why do we have the union jack on our national flag

Because it is our flag...

and a prime minster instead of a president?

Now you really are confused, if Australia became a republic the PM would NOT be replaced by a President, why do you think they would be?
Look at Singapore, they are a Republic and have a PM and a President.

This is one of the reasons Australia has not become a Republic, those who want a Republic have no clue at all what it actually means and entails!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Because it is our flag...

Which is about as significant to Australian culture as toilet paper. The Eureka flag should be our national flag.

Look at Singapore, they are a Republic and have a PM and a President.

But we don't have a president, just a governor General, who in theory has more power over Australian politics than the Queen has over British politics.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

But we don't have a president, just a governor General, who in theory has more power over Australian politics than the Queen has over British politics.

Your ignorance is showing again - If Australia became a Republic just what power would you give El Presidente, and would you take any power from the PM?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

Your ignorance is showing again - If Australia became a Republic just what power would you give El Presidente, and would you take any power from the PM?

I could just as easily argue that your ignorant alliance for the Crown is showing.

The proposed president should be given the amount of power that the Australian people choose to allow him, via a democratic vote.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Such as my home country of Canada?

If that's the case, I don't really see the need of officially becoming 'independent'.

~Tenth

Yep, but apparently there are a few Aussies that think the Queen still has any say over us for the most part, despite evidence to the contrary. The last time the Queen interjected in Aussie affairs was when we asked her to back in the 1970's I think.

Personally I don't mind having the old girl around, I love the English and their history and how it is intertwined with our own.

The Queen's role in Australia

When The Queen visits Australia, she speaks and acts as Queen of Australia, and not as Queen of the United Kingdom.

As a constitutional monarch, The Queen acts entirely on the advice of Australian Government Ministers who are responsible to Parliament.

The Queen is represented in Australia at the federal level by a Governor-General. He or she is appointed by The Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister of Australia and is completely independent of the British Government.

At the state level The Queen is represented by the Governors of each state who are appointed on the advice of each state Premier.

Even while based in the United Kingdom, The Queen is sensitive to her role as Queen of Australia, acknowledging issues which affect Australia through messages or congratulating Australian achievement.

In February 2006, for example, The Queen hosted a reception at Buckingham Palace for prominent Australians living in the United Kingdom.

When visiting Australia, The Queen is able to undertake some of the ceremonial roles of the Sovereign. In 1954, for example, The Queen opened Parliament in Canberra for the first time, wearing the gown she had worn for her Coronation the previous year.

The Queen supports public service through her patronage of a large number of Australian organisations. These include The Royal Humane Society of Australasia; the Partially Blinded Soldiers' Association of Australia; the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne; the Scout Association of Australia; and the Mothers' Union in Australia.

In addition The Queen holds a number of titles in the Australian Armed Forces, and has attended many events to honour their service in world conflicts.

In 2003, for example, The Queen acknowledged the huge debt owed to Australian servicemen and women in two world wars by opening the Australian War Memorial at Hyde Park Corner in London.

During her visits to Australia, one of The Queen's most important roles is to visit as many areas of society as possible.

The Queen aims to recognise the achievements of the country's different cultures and communities, from traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to the vibrant and economically flourishing cities.

The Queen's Royal style and title in Australia is Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth.

At her Coronation on 2 June 1953, The Queen swore an oath to govern the peoples of Australia and her other realms "according to their respective laws and customs."

edit on 27/6/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/6/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Then why vote on a non issue, I mean with ballots and everything? They're either independent or not. If not, then that symbolic "affiliation" is a bit more dependent than we are led to believe?

Everyone wants to be free to choose how to live their life, everyone wants to feel as though they are free to choose.

Same on a national level. if they aren't then someone outside is pulling the strings of dependance (loyalty).

Who might that be?

ETA: Oh, nvm Kryties laid it out. Long live the Queen.

edit on 27-6-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Last referendum was for parliament to select & vote for the president, this was rejected by the people as clearly so undemocratic and rightly so.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MegaSpace
Last referendum was for parliament to select & vote for the president, this was rejected by the people as clearly so undemocratic and rightly so.

Can you please expand on your anti-independent stance on Australia's political structure?

I just want to establish whether your loyalty is with the crown. Which would indicate that your a complete sell out, when it comes to establishing an independent Great Southern Land.

Why are us Aussies so weak minded, when it comes to establishing a country of our own?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I'm not going to play your obvious games mate. My post was clear enough and I will not open myself to attack from you, as that is what you are clearly aiming for in this thread: to attack anyone who disagrees with you.

Poor form.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MegaSpace

Can you please expand on your anti-independent stance on Australia's political structure?

I just want to establish whether your loyalty is with the crown. Which would indicate that your a complete sell out, when it comes to establishing an independent Great Southern Land.

Why are us Aussies so weak minded, when it comes to establishing a country of our own?

How am i a sell out when i reject for the parliament alone to decide for who is to be our president? rather then let the people to decide?

A sell out is those who give away their right to shape the nation and let the politicians decide for them.

Sell out is the ones who seeks to remove the westminster system of government which we have enjoyed since parliament was established in 1901 which is considered to be most stable system in politics. And why change to something unknown & untested?

edit on 27-6-2015 by MegaSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 27-6-2015 by MegaSpace because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join