It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roberts Warns Churches Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status For Opposing Gay Marriage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Roberts is ludicrous with this, and should step down if he is truly as mentally unfit as he's demonstrating here.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

As far as religious colleges, charity organizations, ect. well, to claim that losing you tax exempt status and other federal gifts kind of tells me that you are probably more into making a profit and increasing your assets than you are about doing any charity work!

Just look at the Red Cross's shenanigens in Haiti..500,000,000 tax free gone..and where really?

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: imitator

Sirry dude look at the stats the millennials are rejecting religion at a staggering rate in the usa because religions being so out of date.
When they get older they will show their kids why and religion will drop off.
Happening in many western countries.

And what is the state of most western countries? It's great right? You've got the UK nearly up to their necks (hehe) in islamic extremism. You've got the PIIGS going down the tube. So who does that leave? France and Germany and a handful of small countries like the czech republic and luxembourg?

So let me ask you this; are those countries more or less free than the evil religious US? You see, there has to be some sort of authority (otherwise you have chaos) so when they no longer believe in God they turn to the state. States with all of the power have such a rosy history. You should fear the decline of religion (mostly the judeo-christian ones) because with out it your problems only get worse.

I guess you've got the norwegian countries living off their oil profits.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
youtu.be...

Obama @ Saddleback Church -Defines Marriage

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
The right to bear arms, and the right to due process weren't constitutional until added via amendments either.

LOL you know the constitution wasn't ratified before the bill of rights (first 10 amendments) were added right? Those are as much a part of the constitution as the rest of it. In fact, if they weren't in there the constitution wouldn't have ever been ratified. To say that they weren't constitutional shows quite a bit of ignorance.

LEARN
edit on 28-6-2015 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Oh, hush! He gets a pass just like always because everyone knows he really didn't mean it. He was just lying to get the Grubers to vote for him (call it the stupidity of the AMerican voter) so things could happen for our own good whether most of us really wanted them or not.

The ends justify the means ... until they aren't your ends, of course, but that's another story.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

That's exactly the point.

Every nation's laws and culture has evolved and formed directly from their religion.

The UK, Europe and the US are Christian nations, our ideology is Christian. The blue print for our laws, culture and society are Christian, (regardless of how ignorant people are of this or of how they much they believe in god or attend church). That blueprint is imperative. Governments are basically like businesses and are corrupt in such that they are influenced by money. Removing our Christian blueprint is removing our basis for our laws and culture and opening our system to other religion's laws and culture, hence there is already bias against Christians such as in Rotherham and sharia banking that is favourable to non Christians.

The best thing the UK, Europe and the US can do for preserving their societies is to strengthen them against potential influence by other religions and cultures. Especially when those other religions have aggressive demanding policies and are actively attempting enforcing them around the world in seemingly innate ways (such as PC 'liberalism') and in other ways such as global terrorism. They are even saying that is their aim.

Bending over and becoming soft and liberal to their ideas as a means of being 'nice and fair' whilst their aggressive policies are entirely the opposite is possibly the stupidest idea ever.

The question is how on earth are our governments justifying this sort of rollover stance?

Are the people really too stupid to see the light and to stop pandering to it?

The way forward is action, in our laws and policies, being strong instead of weak, making strong immigration policies, literally closing the borders and shipping out those not on board with our Christian laws and culture.

edit on 28-6-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

The shock of the Century !!!

Makes many people wonder how "sincere" He *really* is.

Hmmm.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You know what? I'll bet that church in Charleston does not believe in gay marriage. Black churches are some of the most conservative when it comes to those beliefs.

I'll be they're tax exempt.

So are you saying they shouldn't have had the cops show up when Roof came calling because they don't believe in same-sex marriage and likely preach traditional marriage?

Churches don't pay taxes, but take advantage of other taxpayer's generosity. From here, your conclusions don't follow. You're simply trying to appeal to emotions.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

they gave their employees at the top as nice big bonuses and salary increases? (please don't take me seriously with that, I have no idea where the money went. )
which of course, any church or religious organization could do also if they lost their tax exempt status and wanted to avoid paying the taxes on their profits. there's always ways around things.

edit on 28-6-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: combinatorics

originally posted by: ketsuko

You know what? I'll bet that church in Charleston does not believe in gay marriage. Black churches are some of the most conservative when it comes to those beliefs.

I'll be they're tax exempt.

So are you saying they shouldn't have had the cops show up when Roof came calling because they don't believe in same-sex marriage and likely preach traditional marriage?

Churches don't pay taxes, but take advantage of other taxpayer's generosity. From here, your conclusions don't follow. You're simply trying to appeal to emotions.

No, please, explain to me that they didn't deserve to have cops show up. Really, go right ahead.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here is something the SCOTUS is not taking into account. Making the churches victims and persecuted for their feelings. The church lobby will make this a election issue with alot of catholics weighing in.

Or it might make churches and relgious instituions give up their funding to keep from becoming hypocrites liek they used to in the past.

(post by cnmcdee77 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
You have a disturbing amount of faith in paper and ink. The only thing that's protecting religious freedom at all in this country today is the sheer number of religious people.

The only thing that says you're entitled to due process if accused of a crime is some paper and ink.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying. We're screwed. It was never more than a matter of time. All it takes is for the majority of people to stop caring and anything can happen. Paper and ink doesn't mean anything if people don't care.

edit on 28-6-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Good

Churches should not get tax breaks any more than corporations anyway. Especially churches being a front for zealots to spew hatred and intollerance ( a slap in the face of Jesus message )

What interesting times we live in where fake Christians showing themselves by the lot due to homosexuals being treated equal.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarthFazer
Good

Churches should not get tax breaks any more than corporations anyway. Especially churches being a front for zealots to spew hatred and intollerance ( a slap in the face of Jesus message )

What interesting times we live in where fake Christians showing themselves by the lot due to homosexuals being treated equal.

So you agree with a repeal of the 1st Amendment.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is a fight the Govt. does not want to pick.

They can only lose, irregardless of results.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That is not what I am saying. I am saying churches should not be exempt nor corporations heck they are practicaly the same thing.

They can go on worshipping a ancient comic book and believing in a zombie for all I care. Stan Lee writes more convincing stories. It is comical in that they the zealots contradict themselves continuously in going against the teachings of their own Jesus. There is no reason Religious institutions should get special treatment in the first place. Nobody is encroaching on such silly beliefs , they have a option still. Being made to pay taxes is not forcing the Church to marry gay couples. They can go on discriminating while paying uncle sam.

edit on 28-6-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yes, but as you see - plenty of people think the government has every right to pick this fight and they're salivating at the prospect. Think of all that money ...

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
This is a fight the Govt. does not want to pick.

They can only lose, irregardless of results.

Cult of Scientology leader David Miscavige said the same thing

So they bribed their way in to being a religion and paid off the FBI. Hence exempt of Taxes

So I am sure some donations will be made in the wallets of the feds in the near future as a show of good faith from the church

edit on 28-6-2015 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join