It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roberts Warns Churches Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status For Opposing Gay Marriage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

originally posted by: boymonkey74
But religions have a problem at the moment and in 20 years if they don't catch up and review their books and get with the times they will start to die.

WTF are you talking about?
Christianity is over 2000 years old, what are they going to catch up on lol?

I'm all for gay marriage, but to force it on a religion that's against it is pure evil..... someone in the gooberment has issues....

That is the point, its 2000 years old and the world has moved on. The world now is a radically different place to what it was then. If they don't start changing to reflect the times people will view them as out dated and irrelevant

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Megatronus

Good! They impose their teaching on the world in which they say we are all created equally by God, yet judge some of his creation as basically 'unclean'.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I remember Congress and the IRS banding together and warning certain high-profile churches that they would lose their tax-exempt status if they didn't fully divulge how they spend their money. The pastors ignored this warning and nothing happened..nothing at all.

This fight is long overdue. The tax exempt status qualifications are a violation of the first amendment anyway. Anything that government would try and make churches do would be a clear violation of the "free exercise thereof" ect. Anytime the press or the church is told to curb its speech or exercise.....thats a violation of the 1st amendment.

Chief Justice is just......full of crap.

In addition and probably the real goal here it would be easier to make the churches do thing WITHOUT an exempt status and then the government would be racking in the funds to boot.

The church doesn't need to fight from a position of exemption or non-exemption of taxes but from a 1st amendment position. The church, like the press, has the right to say any thing it wants about anything the government, the culture, ect, ect does. Just because most of the press has become the lackey and bootlicking stooges of culture and government, trading in its 1st amendment shield for ratings doesn't mean the church needs to.
edit on 27-6-2015 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I wonder if its not only that people will see the church as inappropriately out of date for todays world, but also that its dangerous to the world with the divisions it creates between people.

For me it needs to qualify its teachings with a few sightings of angels etc and some miracles that we can witness today, which it won't.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

Good! They impose their teaching on the world in which they say we are all created equally by God, yet judge some of his creation as basically 'unclean'.

All Shelby Cobras were created equal too, that doesn't mean some did not end up much worse than others. Can't blame the manufacturer for that.
edit on 27-6-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
This is all pure scaremongering by sore losers now.

Truth is that Christianity is on the decline anyway because it has become so out of touch with what people actually need spiritually in the 21st century.

Oh sure......thats why two churches down the road from my house and across the street from each other are packed every Sunday. They have to hire special duty cops to direct traffic after services. One of the churches has a parking lot that looks to hold 2000 cars......and its packed every Sunday.

edit on 27-6-2015 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Churches could lose their tax-exempt status with the IRS if they refuse to recognize the Supreme Court’s ruling Friday legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts warned in his dissenting opinion.

He cited a comment made months ago by the U.S. government’s top lawyer on the same-sex marriage case.

“Hard questions arise when people of faith exercise religion in ways that may be seen to conflict with the new right to same-sex marriage — when, for example, a religious college provides married student housing only to opposite-sex married couples, or a religious adoption agency declines to place children with same-sex married couples,” Roberts wrote.

Well, let me shed a tear....NOT! They owe all of us huge back taxes.

But where is it?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
That could hurt a few things in tornado alley...

Churches are often on the scene fast with food water and clothes for people that lost everything.

Also food banks are big, so it could also hurt the ultra poor... But go ahead and keep cheering this possibility.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

The IRS, the government, never had the right to establish a conditional tax exempt status to the church if that status curtails free speech.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

interestingly Churches are guarantee freedom of religion under the constitution and protection, but they are not guarantee tax exemptions, but they still will keep their choices regardless, the government is not going to take their status away with the ruling and they still can use the constitution to deny same sex marriage as the ruling is for government agencies and it doesn't point to churches directly.

Churches marriages is a choice base on faith, while is a tradition you still need government licensing to be marry regardless.

edit on 27-6-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yea Marg the marriage license thing is a government and civil matter. The reason certain are making oblique threatening gesture toward the church is because some cant stand opposition. Opposition WHICH is protected by the constitution. Justice spouts with one side of the mouth about the constitutionality of gay marriage and then threatens and belittles the churches constitutional position out of the other. The mark of a hack.

Not to mention that some see this issue and others as a way to gain accesses to church coffers. The love of money being the root of all evil.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

I understand but is not going to happen, I see the hype about forcing churches to this and that take a new high, but when things stay as usual and just those in government agencies will be affected the hype will die.

Now I wonder if anybody working in government agencies that process marriage licenses will use their freedom to religion to challenge the supreme court ruling.

As I read the article the issue here is not the Churches per say but the colleges that take federal funds for education that are religious base and religious agencies that work in adoption.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Great points. Religious schools sold their souls when they started accepting government funding on several fronts. Folks that work for the government are not going to be able to get away with exercising their personal religious positions as employees. If they don't like it they should get another job.

What I am talking about are church pulpits as a protected free speech and exercise zone.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Yes, you are right, is going to be interesting to see what is going to happen with the freedom given to the Church and the protection that the constitution guarantee, but I still feel that the government is no going to even address churches right per say.

People are the ones that will make an issue of it, after the unsuccessful tries of some state to make more protection laws for freedom of religion and choices.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
why don't they just let people do what they want? this is yet another example of out of control government. gay people can marry, fantastic news! a victory for free will, but why is this free will not extended to churches? i know that the universal unitarian church in my town marries gay people in their church since it's been legal here, and they can still go to city hall. on the flip side, i have never thought churches should have tax exempt status in the first place, so, whatever.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
They don't HAVE to conform and marry them.
WE still have FREEDOM to worship who and how we want and this won't change.
even the Supreme ct HAS to obey the law and the current admin with be gone soon.
ALL they have to do is take it to court and delay until he's gone.
THEY can have a legal union,they can claim THEIR OWN church but to DEMAND religious organizations comply ?
Good luck with that.

Take it to court? This is the court. It's not the administration it's not the president even. The Supreme Court of the United States made this ruling. That's it. That's the top court. It would take electing a different set if chief justices to overturn the ruling.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I wonder if its not only that people will see the church as inappropriately out of date for todays world, but also that its dangerous to the world with the divisions it creates between people.

For me it needs to qualify its teachings with a few sightings of angels etc and some miracles that we can witness today, which it won't.

I think it's eventual down fall will be from people seeing it as outdated and not really in line with current KNOWLEGE. To be honest that's what turned me off from it, even at a very young age I knew a lot of what I was reading sounded very unlikely.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: blondegiraffe
why don't they just let people do what they want? this is yet another example of out of control government. gay people can marry, fantastic news! a victory for free will, but why is this free will not extended to churches? i know that the universal unitarian church in my town marries gay people in their church since it's been legal here, and they can still go to city hall. on the flip side, i have never thought churches should have tax exempt status in the first place, so, whatever.

Because a church is not a person and as such should never supercede the rights of a person. Unless you think big organisations should be treated as individuals and be granted civil rights. Personally I'd rather have govt intercepting in my life than corporations and organisations.

All tha aside the church has always been granted more freedom when it comes to thier views. The are allowed to legally discriminated against people, individuals do not really have that ability.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If churches are forced to comply by the government, then marriage between gays will be the least of our concerns.

In my humble opinion.

It'll mean that any and every right, freedom we have is only at the whim of government.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement
a reply to: Profusion

I wonder if this will affect mosques too

It was decreed the Law Of The Land

so Christians, Scientology, Muslims, every Faith practiced in the USA must recognize any conceivable combination of social union of sexes as a legal Marriage....
but the Church or each congregation should be able to decide IF they will relinquish their Tax Exempt Status

see, the Catholic churches are like independent Divisions in a Corporation... the sub-group being a Diocese

re: en.wikipedia.org...

i think that Mosques are generally funded by the house of Saud, at least in building Mosques/Compounds in foreign lands.. this 14th Amendment right to equal protection will some how be negated by Islam and the USA govt will continue to lavish protectionism for the Jihadists in the homeland... otherwise Islam will be outed as a religion of Hate and be Taxed to boot along with the sermons being monitored by government

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join