It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roberts Warns Churches Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status For Opposing Gay Marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Churches could lose their tax-exempt status with the IRS if they refuse to recognize the Supreme Court’s ruling Friday legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts warned in his dissenting opinion.

He cited a comment made months ago by the U.S. government’s top lawyer on the same-sex marriage case.

“Hard questions arise when people of faith exercise religion in ways that may be seen to conflict with the new right to same-sex marriage — when, for example, a religious college provides married student housing only to opposite-sex married couples, or a religious adoption agency declines to place children with same-sex married couples,” Roberts wrote.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

It looks like American Christians could be faced with a real conundrum:

Risk burning in hell or pay the price.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Cant wait for the churches to turn around and praise the scotus decision, do they still pray to god or the green buck.

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I would dance with even more joy than I did today if religious institutions lost their tax exempt status. Like, you would have never seen the likes of such boogieing.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Did any churches lose tax status when the racial marriage thing came to pass?.
I don't think they are going to be forced to marry anyone.
But religions have a problem at the moment and in 20 years if they don't catch up and review their books and get with the times they will start to die.

+24 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
But religions have a problem at the moment and in 20 years if they don't catch up and review their books and get with the times they will start to die.

WTF are you talking about?
Christianity is over 2000 years old, what are they going to catch up on lol?

I'm all for gay marriage, but to force it on a religion that's against it is pure evil..... someone in the gooberment has issues....

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
They will be forced or else lose their c103.
My prediction is the churches will marry same genders, transgendered, dogs and sows in order to keep their tax status.
It's all about the beast(money) and they all worship the beast.

If churches were what they are supposed to be there wouldn't be one starving child in this world.

Instead the churches are mostly multi million dollar buildings serving the egos of the members.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
They don't HAVE to conform and marry them.
WE still have FREEDOM to worship who and how we want and this won't change.
even the Supreme ct HAS to obey the law and the current admin with be gone soon.
ALL they have to do is take it to court and delay until he's gone.
THEY can have a legal union,they can claim THEIR OWN church but to DEMAND religious organizations comply ?
Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
They don't HAVE to conform and marry them.
WE still have FREEDOM to worship who and how we want and this won't change.
even the Supreme ct HAS to obey the law and the current admin with be gone soon.
ALL they have to do is take it to court and delay until he's gone.
THEY can have a legal union,they can claim THEIR OWN church but to DEMAND religious organizations comply ?
Good luck with that.

His point is what if you are a Catholic school and have housing for married couples. What if you don't give a gay couple married housing?

The religious institutions will be forced to accept gay marriage. It will be freedom of religion .. as long as your religion believes exactly what we say it should.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Sirry dude look at the stats the millennials are rejecting religion at a staggering rate in the usa because religions being so out of date.
When they get older they will show their kids why and religion will drop off.
Happening in many western countries.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Phototropic

Amen to that brother.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I remember Congress and the IRS banding together and warning certain high-profile churches that they would lose their tax-exempt status if they didn't fully divulge how they spend their money. The pastors ignored this warning and nothing happened..nothing at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

If they aren't part of their denomination they CAN be excluded.
TAX law will be under assault in the next administration.
I am a Protestant I CAN be excluded.

edit on 27-6-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I wonder if this will affect mosques too

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Enjoy your victories while you can,the pendulum will swing the other way.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

If they aren't part of their denomination they CAN be excluded.
TAX law will be under assault in the next administration.
I am a Protestant I CAN be excluded.

Catholic schools do not exclude non Catholics. If they did it would be suicide. That would mean they would be only excluding gays.

It would also mean they would have to excommunicate all gays, more suicide.

IF this came to pass, it would mean the end of the church unless they accepted gay marriage.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
This is all pure scaremongering by sore losers now.

Truth is that Christianity is on the decline anyway because it has become so out of touch with what people actually need spiritually in the 21st century.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: imitator

Sirry dude look at the stats the millennials are rejecting religion at a staggering rate in the usa because religions being so out of date.
When they get older they will show their kids why and religion will drop off.
Happening in many western countries.

They are rejecting Church, and organized religion, but they are just as likely to believe in God, Heaven, Hell, and I believe they are just as likely to pray as older generations were (at their age).

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
From my point of view if someone choose to care about the physical rewards when their own bible say you should seek treasures in the spiritual then they are not following their own lessons. There are Christians that are nice and then there is the The Christians that are the biggest hypocrites behaving like Pharisees in the bible.

The Catholic and US churches have proven again that they are not the tree that give of the pure fruit of Yeshua:s teachings. If they where following Yeshua they would have given everything to the poor and equalize the non equality to lessen suffering.

"Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's."

edit on 27-6-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
His point is what if you are a Catholic school and have housing for married couples. What if you don't give a gay couple married housing?

I believe this would come down to which definition of marriage the church is using. Are they using the religious definition? In that case, since a Catholic school doesn't recognize an aethist wedding, would they force a man and wife who are married but only by the state to live in separate housing? If they do, then there wouldn't an issue of gay or straight because it's not who is being married but rather the observance of only Catholic marriages instead of all marriages. If on the other hand they are recognizing all marriages, including those performed outside of the Catholic religion except for gay marriage then they have a problem, and rightfully so.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I believe this would come down to which definition of marriage the church is using. Are they using the religious definition? In that case, since a Catholic school doesn't recognize an aethist wedding, would they force a man and wife who are married but only by the state to live in separate housing? If they do, then there wouldn't an issue of gay or straight because it's not who is being married but rather the observance of only Catholic marriages instead of all marriages. If on the other hand they are recognizing all marriages, including those performed outside of the Catholic religion except for gay marriage then they have a problem, and rightfully so.

Many non Catholics go to Catholics schools. If they only gave housing to Catholic marriages they would screw themselves over, and in the end students would be hurt, causing them to be forced to go to other schools, possibly ending Catholic institutions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join