It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cop fired for wearing confederate flag underwear

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: dreamingawake

Because some kid decided to go shoot up a church while parading that flag around.

So, if some mass murderer who is acting racially decides to parade the American flag, Canadian, Mexican, a state flag or what have you should the flag be acted upon in the manner as well?

a reply to: Sublimecraft

The person who made the flag clearly said it was a flag for the surpioror race, that it was the white man's flag.

Sorry but you have to willfully ignorant to take the stance that it only represents heritage.

The quote from William T. Thompson that you're mentioning is about the "Stainless banner". The white field portion was to represent white superiority.

The Confederate flag, designed by William Poacher Miles, while a derivative of the "Stainless banner", does not have the same exact connotation. It's a battle flag thus is why it flew over the Confederate monument in S.C. not the state house as many are saying.

edit on 27-6-2015 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

What other flags are flying on our official buildings?

I don't want it banned,just off our official instalation.

If we were flying a Mexican or Canadian flag and some one did what Dylann did in the name of that flag then sure, but we can cross that bridge when we get there.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

It was a girl who cheered the deaths of two police officers over social media.

I completely agree with the firing as it painted the company in a horrible way.

Social media is not protected, you are not protected when you represent a company or department.

It is pretty simple.
Don't like your employers views, get a different job.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

What if some radical faction of U.S. veterans did that in protest of the mistreatment that their missing bretheren have been given, and "paraded" the MIA flag. DOes that mean we need to ban the diaply of that on national grounds too?

See the slippery slope we start down, opening up so many injustices and suppresion of free speech? Sounds a lot like the McCarthy era of "reds under the beds" scare to me.

Punish the perpetrator, not the symbols.

Seems oddly simple to me.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: whatmakesyouright
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Didn't the Union kill Americans as well?

Which Americans? The Confederacy denounced its membership in the USA, so they weren't American citizens anymore. They were literally a foreign country with their own money (each state had its own money), own President, own Constitution, own legislatures, and own armies (each state had a separate army). Then they besieged & conquered US military bases that were on their territory. And that's before they invaded the remaining States in the USA. And they would've remained a separate country if they would've won the war.

Them quitting the United States is no different than American citizens renouncing their American citizenships to become Vietnamese citizens, then attacking the United States. They would be traitors & treated as such.

Thats revisionist. The northern states initiated,the military conflict. Just facts here.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

LOL How's it revisionist?

1. The Confederate States of America seceded from the USA. FACT
2. By seceding from the USA, citizens of the CSA were no longer citizens of the United States of America. FACT
3. The CSA had its own President, Constitution, legislature, currency (most w/slaves on them), own armies, etc. FACT
4. The CSA waged a 4 year war against the United States of America. FACT
5. Citizens of the CSA were citizens of a nation that waged a war against the United Sates of America, and thus, were enemy members of an enemy nation. FACT
6. The Confederate States besieged the US military bases that were still in Confederate territory. FACT
7. The CSA invaded the United States, with the most notable instance in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. FACT
8. The CSA killed more citizens of the United States of America than Saddam Hussein, 9/11, & ISIS combined. FACT
9. The Constitution of the CSA guaranteed slave ownership & had 10 references to slavery. FACT

How is it "revisionist" when it's all facts? Do you even know what "revisionism" means?
edit on 27-6-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Lets be honest: he is making public pleas of politics as a police officer. He is a public official putting a picture of himself in his underwear out on the internet.

Remove the fact that its the confederate flag. It could be a pair of rainbow/gay pride boxers. Or an image of Mohammed. Doesn't matter...insert current/relevant issue...or just make it a pair of white boxers. Its inappropriate, and likely indicative of poor judgement. That Wiener dude was sending underwear pics and had to resign from senate over it.

Which is contraindicative of a good police officer.

The confederate flag angle is stupid. and seems to be a sideshow.
edit on 6/27/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

What if it never happened?

When it does we can talk about what needs to be done.

Hypothetical is just that, hypothetical.

And hypothetical plus slippery slope fallacy is just not a way to start a conversation.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It was a girl who cheered the deaths of two police officers over social media.

I completely agree with the firing as it painted the company in a horrible way.

Social media is not protected, you are not protected when you represent a company or department.

It is pretty simple.
Don't like your employers views, get a different job.

While I may not agree with her feelings, I disagree that she should be fired for having them.
It's interesting how many people will vilify large companies for their cutthroat profiteering, blaming them for the world's woes and wars, yet support them when they fire someone for having an unpopular opinion on social media.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatmakesyouright
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Didn't the Union kill Americans as well?

SSShhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Don't confuse them with facts.

Too many want to pretend the Confederate States were no longer American which is utter BS. A whole new level of BS, but we won't see a video on that...

The fact is, both sides were American, but the South was fighting for real freedom, while the North was fighting for control. The North won, and the country has suffered as a result. It was never about slavery; that was a tool used to gain support. Slavery was on the way out anyway, ,and wad by no means exclusive to the Southern states, or even to the U.S. Nor was (or is) it exclusive to one race.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Was it Orwellian when the girl was fired from subway for her thoughts?

She wasn't fired for her "thoughts"; she was fired for calling for the death of cops. Promoting violence is a crime. If you want to use the case, get the facts straight.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The very fact that a Charleston cop thinks this is okay at the current time shows that his judgement is highly questionable.

Who wants someone with highly questionable judgement on the police force?

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Why is this flag getting more of a reaction than the Nazy flag?
people atacking flag poles!
are they mind controled?
this is not a normal reaction for people.
what has set them off like this? a deep hate?
what??
oh and one post deleted about this that I know of.

edit on 27-6-2015 by buddha because: they made me do it

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So if some one shoots blacks in a church with a obama mask on.
will they Band Obama? and other symbles.
This is a example!

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I had a bearing scraper that came with from around 1910-20 from american company with logo that was swastika.
I had some model cars with that confederate emblem.
I got rid of them. It's a shame some of the stigma surrounding these things.
But I won't get rid of my German Made Guns, My copy of Gone with the wind, my Berkley riots API Wirephotos of crimes against Citizens or my Spock'ed 5.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Making a threat is a crime, promoting violence is not.

Do if you are going to say I need to use facts you better have yours straight.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Making a threat is a crime, promoting violence is not.

Do if you are going to say I need to use facts you better have yours straight.

Encouraging someone to commit a crime makes one an accessory to crime. Promoting violence is a crime, according to the Supreme Court. Stating that someone deserves to die would be hateful, but protected. Stating that someone needs to go kill another person would be inciting violence, and not protected.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join