It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chrome is now blocking sites that provide downloading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You can use Firefox, but Chrome won't allow you into sites that have known malware in their downloads. Well, I guess Uncle Sam got its way this time.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Ok....What's the down side to this? If they are blocking site that are known to be downloading malware, how is that a bad thing?

From this www.howtogeek.com...

It looks like they're blocking sites that load crap along with what you were actually wanting, only now, you don't get the search results that have the malware included with the download.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Do you have an example of what you would be blocked from downloading?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Because of all the garbage I've been dealing with in regard to google chrome, windows, and other issues regarding commonly used software packages for the Windows operating system I have decided to delete windows from my laptop and start running linux.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Do you have an example of what you would be blocked from downloading?

I don't think the site is illegal, but not sure if it is allowed to be posted on this forum. I suppose most people here use the site for books and music, but... I was surprised when I went to chrome wanting to use the site and see what is new on it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Windows and chrome here, no problem downloading any and all. Servers are kept nux and bsd, but no reason to have a desktop not winblows.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I think it will be a great day when people stop complaining about Chrome and just stop using it. Firefox takes up less resources, runs better, and is open-source.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Based on your OP only. I would be grateful not to have known 'malware' sites 'sequestered' - it just might make those sites change their policies.

I forgot - just how is this the government's fault?
edit on 26-6-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Malware is not downloads. It's a pain in the #ing arse. Glad somebody is doing something about it.

It's up to you if you want the freedom to unknowingly download a malicious piece of scumware or a virus into your machine. Then your mistake becomes other peoples problems when you pass on these things to their machines. Download all the bloody malware you like, just don't ever skype me or e-mail me from your unclean machine.

Glad the browser will have this kind of add on. Save us all from this stupid Norton/McAfee anti virus extortion racket that went well beyond a joke a while back.

Google are ok. Just ok. No caps.

edit on 26-6-2015 by angus1745 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, malwarebytes already blocks these kind of websites for me, so no gain here for me

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So this is about a torrent site, got it.

Well don't use Chrome then

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

I think it will be a great day when people stop complaining about Chrome and just stop using it. Firefox takes up less resources, runs better, and is open-source.

Firefox runs like complete crap on all my systems at home and at work. I use Chrome everywhere with no hassle and it's so much smoother and faster.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It's quite possibly a good idea to block malware-loading, bad sites. People who know what they're doing can still access them and the majority who don't will protected from having their computers/tablets/phones killed by garbage.

A downside might be anyone wanting to jailbreak an apple device because the sites hosting the hacks and software will be classified as 'malware' sites.

I just tried chrome to access torrent sites (PB, KAT) and had no problem. In the UK we have to scoot through proxies and they are still accessible via chrome.

The only reason I use chrome is because it goes with chromecast. Now that's a pain in the ass! Worked fine for streaming, but needed unplugging from the TV for causing interference with the digital signal. I've no idea what it was doing whilst 'dormant,' but several times an hour, it'd do something that garbled sound/vision for a few seconds. If it's not being used, it should be doing nothing whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Checking for updates maybe? Who knows. Telling the CIA what you are watching maybe

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yeah, it could be tipping off the CIA that I'm watching the 40th repeat of Big Bang Theory. That alone is something to be worried about lol.

To be honest, I don't know what it was doing. It was bought for streaming downloaded mp4s like Better Call Saul and Penny Dreadfuls and, instead, screwed up the TV-viewing experience. Otherwise, it's a good piece of kit.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

Firefox runs like complete crap on all my systems at home and at work. I use Chrome everywhere with no hassle and it's so much smoother and faster.

I understand what your saying, I feel lucky if firefox works for 30mins without crashing, its been going on for well over 2 years now. I dont know what the hell it is but it just wont work, so I use Chrome

new topics

top topics

join