It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you remember when?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Can you remember when......

Your doctor examined you with a cigarette in his mouth?

A trip to the movies cost 10 cents to get in and you watched 4-5 movies, a few cliffhangers, dozens of cartoons and even a few news reels all while munching on 10 cent popcorn and a large 10 cent coke?

You were SOOOO excited when your dad bought a second hand TV till you found out the only way for HIM to watch the ONE channel was for you to stand behind it with a clothes hanger covered in tin foil?

America had heroes with names like John Wayne, Steve Mcqueen, Charlton Heston, etc?

You ate chicken once or twice a month, pork a couple times a year and beef was what rich folks ate?

Remember the smell of Grandpas still?

Do you remember growing a greased back duck tail just like Dads?

Do you remember being able to buy a gun at 12 without your parents and taking it to school to show everyone?

Do you remember how excited you were when your dad came home from Korea and how you couldn't understand what had changed?

Do you remember having to wait for your uncle for a while longer because he was a POW?

Do you remember him being one of the few people you could talk to after coming home from Viet Nam?

Remember that cute little girl that had turned into a young woman while you were gone? How listening to her cheerful never-ending chatter drowned out other less pleasant sounds in your head?

Do you remember the Moon Landing, Woodstock, Charles Mansion, Altamont?

Do you remember Jim Morrison, Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc?

How about JFK, MLK, etc?

Remember when we "kept on trucking"?

Remember the young woman and your neighbors and family joining together to keep you from destroying yourself?

Remember that cute little girl turned young woman turned mother of four stair stepped kids cooking chicken and biscuits in your one bedroom apartment and thinking how Lucky you were?

Remember getting a three bedroom place and cable TV that had 9 channels and HBO?

Remember seeing the man you thought Immortal die at 49 weighing about 70 pounds?

Do you remember how proud you were watching your daughter become the first person in your family to graduate high school and then college?

Remember getting your GED so they would be proud of you too?

Remember oppening classes for training kids in Martial arts to help keep them out of trouble after school?

Remember noticing a little stiffness in your joints during cold spells?

Remember the pride in your sons steady stream of victories in Kumate?

Remember the pain growing worse and worse and having the doctor tell you you had the "crippling" type of Artritis?

Remember going to the hospital for stomuch cramps and waking up six days later, that cute girl turned young woman turned mother of four holding your hand for ten days? Remember thinking she was starting to have gray hairs but was still the most beautiful woman you had ever seen?

Remember what it was to move without pain? To be able to use both hands and bend over?

But above all do you remember how lucky you have been to have shared your life with a wonderful woman, to have raised four kids that any one would be proud of, to have lived and loved and fought and shared this wonderful gift from God called life.

Do you remember?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
while I can't remember most of those things exactly, I have my own list... very similar to yours.

Quite a life there ....

Best wishes to you this holiday season and always !

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Thanks.

Its just dawned on me that the road behind is a lot longer than the one ahead and its caused me to become reflective, something I never really was before. I have been trying to find out my reason for living and thinking if I can understand where I have been maybe I can understand where I am going.

I am thinking of what will be remembered about me and wondering if the lives I have touched have been better for me having touched them. I have done some awful things in my life and I hope I have done enough to even the scales when I stand to be judged.

I am not really religious but my mind has turned more and more to what happens after we leave here. Who is right? Jews? Muslims? Christians? Hindus? Nobody?

Will they cut me some slack for being an ignorant hillbilly?

posted on Dec, 27 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Man, Amuk....
you just made me cry.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Outstanding and inciteful post Amuk!

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Man, Amuk....
you just made me cry.

*gasps* HE MADE BANSHEE CRY! GET HIM! *whips out pitchforks and tourches*

But anyhow I dont remember any of that stuff...Im too young...way before my dad...my daddy does tho!...heheheheheh my daddys OLD!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think some of the problem is we seek answers and don't know the right questions.

I think we go on after here but to where? Heaven? Hell? Do we wonder the Earth as spirits or do we simply cease? Will my loved ones miss me? Will I miss them? Do I want their last memories of me to be a twisted cripple in a wheelchair?Will you get to see them again or is this goodbye forever?

Would they still love me if they knew the things I have done? Maybe hells punishment is seeing yourself for who you TRULY are and having those that you love see the beast inside?

What about those you have harmed? Will you have to answer to them? Will you even be judged? How? Is the ONLY criteria picking the right Messiah?

I know that when I lay at deaths door in the hospital the things I had thought important were less than nothing. I would have traded them all to hold my wifes hand for a few more minutes or see my grand daughter smile one more time. I realized that even MY LIFE was unimportant, all that mattered was that I was loved and would be missed by those who had gathered around my bed. I do not really care what God, or Allah, or the Great Pumpkin thinks of me but my greatest fear is to be a disappointment or a shame to my family.

I have spent a lot of my life trying to make up for the fact that they were born the kids of that "Crazy Biker" a violent man covered with tattoos and scars that was not real picky how he put food on the table. One of my daughters told me long ago in an argument that she was ashamed of me and although she was mad at the time and it was in the heat of the moment I know there was a lot of truth in what she had said.

I can blame the war, my lack of education and my own upbringing, console myself with the fact that I never let them go hungry and sometimes a mans gotta do what it takes to feed four hungry kids but none of that changes the fact that they were indeed ashamed of me, if only a Little bit. I wonder how they would feel if they knew "the rest of the story"?

To make things better I got my GED and worked two jobs most of the time to make their life better, great choice now they never saw me. What was the answer? Hell I still don't know.

Can I ever be the man I want to be in their eyes? Can I ever repay the love they have shown me? Have I managed to be the husband and father they deserve? Can I stand to watch them watch me deteriorate?

Why am I posting all this crap? Maybe Dear Abby would be more appropriate?

I don't know. I am just trying to sort this out in my head, just thinking out loud and I am not used to deep questions.

I close with a little advice for those out there, love your family in the end that is all that matters. The Respect of your "peers" will mean nothing if you have failed your children or wife. Love them each day like its the last because one day it will be.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Amuk, they say the older you get the more often you think about the past.
I find myself thinking about my childhood very often lately, and how i used to go to the store to pick my father up a pack of cigarrettes for 35 cents and i can still remember him bitching about how expensive smokes were...

*sigh*

[edit on 29-12-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

It is more of my recent near death experience and discovering that my health is deteriorating quickly has me thinking about EVERYTHING. Of what I have done and what I will never get to do. I am not going to die tomorrow, I don't think LOL, but I have been slapped in the face by my own mortality.

I have always been more of a man of action and haven't gave living much of a thought, but I cant help but feel I have wasted so much time chasing the wrong prizes. I have been blessed to have people around me, especially my wife, who saw beyond my failings and saw the person I could be. Without her I would have, without a doubt, destroyed myself or forced someone else to do it for me.

I really don't know why I am posting this stuff, I am not seeking sympathy, trying to "confess" asking advice or even asking for understanding unless maybe "I" am the one trying to understand. Most of the time I am not even sure of the questions I am asking. Somewhere in here it changed from a trip down memory lane to a soul searching.

I guess this is where I am supposed to find God or something but I just am not a spiritual man. What ever is on the other side I just hope I can be reunited with my family when they follow.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hey Amuk....

maybe you should get a blog set up .... letting your thoughts out like this can be very theraputic. I know they build up in there, so why not let 'em out??

I can relate to some of what you've said.

I had an allergic reaction to a medication about 10 years ago, and it caused my heart to stop; I was dead for awhile there.
It does make you look at life in a whole different way, to appreciate the little things.

Stay strong, my friend.
You've got a lotta years to go yet. Enjoy them.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Originally posted by dgtempe

It is more of my recent near death experience and discovering that my health is deteriorating quickly has me thinking about EVERYTHING.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Amuk]
I am sorry, Amuk, i will say a little prayer for you. Please get good medical care and try not to worry too much on a daily basis. You will be ok. Take good care.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Hey Amuk....

maybe you should get a blog set up

Great minds think alike I think I will do that, I might need help getting starting, but its got to be cheeper and easier than a shrink....LOL

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Amuk,

I often enjoy your posts.

I enjoyed this thread, and want to start one of my own. I just wanted to say to you that the question of whether or not you have lived a good life is not one that can be answered with a yes or no.

I don't believe that you can weigh the good versus the bad and come up with a number of how many credits you still owe. Life is a heck of a lot more complicated.

I suspect that each of us is our own harshest judge.

I believe in God. I've studied several of the religions you mentioned pretty intensly. I'm convinced that God values you for more than simply the things you've done or refrained from doing; I think God loves each person for who they are.

Certainly, any judge will consider the context of every action, the "why" as well as the "what" of our lives.

And it sounds like you're not to the journey's end just yet. As they say, "where there's life, there's hope."

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Can you remember when......

A trip to the movies cost 10 cents to get in and you watched 4-5 movies, a few cliffhangers, dozens of cartoons and even a few news reels all while munching on 10 cent popcorn and a large 10 cent coke?

What the hell!?! Did you get to the movie theater in Fred Flinstone's car?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Man, Amuk....
you just made me cry.

You have emotions

lol only playing

i dont remember none of them probably because A) im British and B) im only 18

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
By your own words I think that you have shown why your wife and daughters love you. You could not be given love like that unless you had much love to give.

I don't believe your daughter was ashamed of you.

Think back again on that long memory hike you took, did you never say something that you knew was wrong but never could go back to fix?

Also by your own words you regret the wrong things you have done in your life. Perhaps at the time you did not see another way.

Please continue to live with the love you have in your family and appreciate every moment.

Mary

new topics

top topics

join