It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beep Beep Beep ARRRRG!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
There are just some things that I can't stand. One is beeping noises. I hate it. I don't know why but it gets on my nerves in the worst way. If I'm in line at a fast food place or gas station and I hear one of the machines beeping I just grind my teeth since I can't very well get away from it without losing my place in line. I always stop the microwave just before the timer runs out so I won't have to hear it, too. Oh, and the coffee maker bothers me, too. It's the kind that shuts its self off. When it's done brewing the thing beeps. When you turn it back on, it beeps again. I always try to leave the kitchen before it starts beeping when I turn it back on. I swear I hate that sound.
Do any of you share a distaste for all things beepy? Share your horror stories here.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

My Bride's device receives emails in the wee hours and makes a chimey noise. I couldn't characterize it as a beep. It wakes me up. I go right back to sleep after realizing what woke me up. No biggie.

Other than that, I have no 'beepy' noises in my life, but I image that I'd find them to be irritating. However, not as irritating as feral chickens. That should give you something to compare to in your pursuit of relative comparison of aggrivating noises. Imagine wild roosters crowing at 5:00 a.m. Yes, we eat them. Chicken trap is a saving grace.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Chimey noises are just as bad. That must be torture.
The feral chickens had me laughing. Do they crow a lot? Eating them must be sweet revenge.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ha! I do the same thing with the microwave. For some ungodly reason, it beeps 5 Times when it's done. How about just a single, 2 second beep? Would that be so tough? I mean, you know have something in and that you're waiting for it, so you're going to go check to see if it's done, beep or not. I don't know. Maybe people are so distracted with the TV and internet they forget they just put something in the .................Hey ! New show coming on!
edit on 26-6-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The peep of cardinals set's me off bigtime. I cannot stand them damn birds!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Most of the ones I've seen beep five times. Whoever came up with that is a sadist.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Cardinals? I take that to mean what gets under your skin is more peep than beep. What is it about the sound they make that bugs you?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Yes. The lil' ting-a-ling of my Darlin's device was previously irritating. Now, months later, it is just something that briefly wakes me up. no worries. It makes her happy and that's worth any inconvenience I might experience.

Yes, the chickens crow a lot, and they are not Kellog's-sounding chickens; some of these make a crowing sound that sounds like they are strangling. I kill them quickly in the chicken trap. They do not suffer. I owe them at least that. Even roosters pressure-cooked for five minutes are tasty. Locals here are revulsed: "Ewwwwwwwwwwww! what do they eat? Gross!" Well, they eat bugs, mostly and the occasional peck of a fallen breadfruit. S'okay with me.

Those noises that irritate us in our lives are rarely loud............ they are consistant and pervasive, have you noticed? Like water dropping one drip at a time. Continually. I can't imagine the din of a beeping thing, but I'm fairly certain I'd smite it soundly.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

A happy mate is a peaceful home. A peaceful home is a happy life. I guess that's a small sacrifice.
Free range chickens are good. At least you know what's going into your meat.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Well said. Everything in balance. For what it's worth, on the rare occasion that I use a microwave, I try to stop it before the electronic din ruins my zen. On the even rarer occasion that my computer experiences a major malfunction and beeps, I call my Bride in to figure out what transpired. Thus, I keep the volume on the computer off, unless I'm actively listening to a youtube or something.

We have a security system with alarms. The [expletive] wild chickens often set it off. No help for it, unless a person wants to be completely unaware of their surroundings. I guess those irritating noises are part of our lives. Much of them we choose, in spite of the fact that they aggravate us. I have to hope that whomever set up simple mechanical devices to issue a series of beeps will face the justice of Karma.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

Oh yeah. You touch on something that is rare where I live, but common elsewhere -- the dreaded car alarm. Ewwwww. Nasty.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Your wife is the tech wizard? That's cool. There's nothing like a smart woman.
Alarms are the worst. I agree, there must be a special form of karma for those that have cursed us with beeps lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

About the time my condition began surfacing at age 20, I remember standing with my then-boyfriend in a grocery store with all the check outs running full tilt and the volume on the BEEP was cranked up to maximum and I seriously flipped out.

Another time I was working Graveyard shift at a truck-stop with harsh florescent lighting and automated registers that gave vocal commands, beeps and reminders that sent me over the edge after only a week of employment. I would get off shift, and try to sleep, but the Pavlovian Nightmare that was my job at the time made it impossible to get any real sleep. It was lay down, black out, wake up with no rest.

The manager was rather impersonal, and my last day on the job while the machine was beeping, binging, talking and running overdrive due to the morning rush, I zoned out trying to collect myself during a period of silence. He saw me looking dazed and angrily commented "what's wrong with you? you have some kind of mental disability?" Well, yeah. I did, actually....one I had lived with for over twelve years by that point but dammit I was TRYING. I couldn't hack it anymore and refuse to help a manager like that make money so I finished up my shift, filled the ice bags, turned in my shirt and never looked back.

Those types of things don't phase me as much as they used to now...guess all the flooding I got back in the day desensitized me somewhat. But oh man, dealing with that much overloading stimulus is not a pleasant thing to go through.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I suffer from misophonia.
The noises that affect me the most are chewing noises. Open mouth chewing, lip smacking and crunchy stuff are the worst.
There is a guy that I work with that will come into my office and sit down across from my desk and eat a handful of hard pretzels... while talking. He chews with his mouth open and smacks his lips. You would think he was raised by cows.
It makes me want to strangle him.
I found methods online to try to deal with it, but it doesn't work for me.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Beeping? I have no clue what you are talking about. Good thing I am deaf! It is because of your super sensitive animal hearing. Invest in some ear plugs or cotton.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Opportunity to practise patience. Not worth getting worked up about and beating yourself up. Thank whatever power or powers you believe in for sending you just what you need to practise.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I feel your pain. Check outs suck. Good for you for leaving that job. Your boss was an ass. I liked the movie clip. Airplane is a good movie. That would drive me nuts though. All that beeping and blinking and flashing.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Ug! Some people have no manners. At least he's not chewing ice cubes or eating corn nuts.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Ear plugs, or anything else in my ears, gives me a headache. It's pressure buildup I guess. Talk about sensitive animal hearing, dog whistles and things only dogs are supposed to hear bother me. I know I shouldn't be able to hear them but I can.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join