It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia unveils new hypersonic missile

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks you and alpha strike for your input. I started this to get better informed perspective than I had from this article. Though I kind of hope you both aren't right, as the back and forth combined with the competitiveness of Russia and the West seems too close. I just wish my country had applied technology for us getting into space :/ although I'm sure we have a backup I don't see us using it.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
All USSR needs to do is use a sub to put 10 meger ton nuclear bombs off the west & east cost of US.
cover them with lead shields and remot detenate them.
it would make a tsunami and triger the fault line.
giving a earth quake.
need to booby trap them to.
That would a Different!

edit on 27-6-2015 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
All USSR needs to do is use a sub to put 10 meger ton nuclear bombs off the west & east cost of US.
cover them with lead shields and remot detenate them.
it would make a tsunami and triger the fault line.
giving a earth quake.
need to booby trap them to.
That would a Different!
You Have watched one To Many movies. Try sticking to reality shall we. Hey Maybe they can hold the world for Ransom for one gizzillion dollars.
edit on 6/27/15 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: alphastrike101

And it has to see, recognize, fire, and reach the incoming missile before it separates.

It would seem to me that THAAD had all those perimeters covered.

It tracks incoming missiles well before final separation with forward AN/TPY-2 systems. THAAD is intergrated into aegis, pac-3, ect.

It looks to have the range and speed to hit KVs up to just over mach 8.

THAAD also appears to have two intercept windows. Just prior to final separation outside the atmosphere and just after final separation as the warhead is entering its spin stability stage inside the upper atmosphere. The warhead will not be going close to its terminal velocity until its spin stability stage is complete.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: alphastrike101

And the longer the range the less likely to hit. Simple fact, THAAD was not designed to hit an ICBM class warhead. It won't work against them unless it gets lucky. It was designed to stop theater class missiles in the terminal phase. Period.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You're a little dusty. The airborne laser was cut from funding , but new solid state lasers have way more range and can fit in a small 400lb package. There's a ton of cool new pics about them online. They even showed the one they wanna install on the f35.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Project 4202 could turn out a limited number of glide vehicles armed with nuclear warheads by 2020, and up to 24 with new hypersonic payloads could be deployed at the Dombarovsky base between 2020 and 2025, the Intelligence Review said.

I Believe some of this has been covered on the board, though I'm not sure if this is the same ICBM's that were talked about. The previous posts put new numbers at around fourty though this one is aiming more at 24. This comes in response to the wests interests and actions in the former Soviet region and some sort of retaliation was certainly expected.

I am not so much alarmed that there was retaliation but more so by the time line given hence that being the part of the article that I quoted. 2020-2025, looking like everyone is settling in for the long haul as my generation seems to digress from lessons learned long ago.

More details and some technical details such as the Mach ten capability. I am interested to see responses from those who know much more of this than me but I imagine we will be working hard to counter, and so we begin or continue the new arms race, something that has definitely proven dangerous should a catalyst provoke use.

Russian hypersonic missile

Just add plasma stealth and youve got a winner!

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM

Good to hear, I imagine there may be a little bit more incentive to move that technology along now.

posted on Jun, 28 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Range is still the issue. When they were testing the YAL-1 they found the only way to hit a missile in the boost phase was to orbit over enemy territory, thereby making the laser aircraft extremely vulnerable considering that the only thing that can currently carry the COIL system is a 747-400.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join