It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia unveils new hypersonic missile

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: alphastrike101

The GBI system is a freaking joke. The SBX that was supposed to guide them is myopic and can only go to Alaska, where it's supposed to be based a few months a year, and costs about twice what they estimated to operate. The KVs have issues hitting their targets.

THAAD and Aegis BMD are better, but they don't work well if at all against an ICBM type target. They're also designed to kill their targets outside the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
WHAT would a Zuse "ROD FROM GOD" do?
IF we were stupid enough to ADMIT they exist that is....

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

From my understanding THAAD has shown to intercept in the exo and endoatmosphereic re entry vehicles.

(June 25, 2008): A successful intercept test at PMRF.[9] The test target was a separating short-range missile launched from a C-17 aircraft. This was the first successful intercept of a separating target. According to the DOT&E, the target was a “simple, spin-stabilized, non-reorienting” reentry vehicle and the intercept took place in the low-endoatmosphere.[10] (Another source describes the intercept as taking place in the mid-endoatmosphere.[11]) The THAAD system was operated manually by soldiers using its semi-automatic mode.

mostlymissiledefense.com...

I understand that it can be intergrated into TPY-2 systems.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I do not think such a system exists. Brilliant pebbles was a much better and practical system and it was sadly never fully built.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Both THAAD and Aegis CAN intercept in the atmosphere, but they're both too slow to hit an ICBM unless they get lucky. They work better exo though.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
When they get faster than the high powered lasers the US is developing and now deploying to make most every flying thing useless then we can worry. If they can be detected then lasers can destroy them even if hypersonic.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphastrike101

I do not think such a system exists. Brilliant pebbles was a much better and practical system and it was sadly never fully built.

I've often wondered if they didn't go through with the chemical lasers in orbit. I really find it hard to believe they scrapped the program. Especially when they started duscussing a global missile defense system. And NATO went through massive upgrades to their missile detection system.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
When they get faster than the high powered lasers the US is developing and now deploying to make most every flying thing useless then we can worry. If they can be detected then lasers can destroy them even if hypersonic.

If I'm not to dusty on the lasers things they are carried by airplane and have a range of one mile, unfortunately not realistic at this phase. I don't think exponential growth will apply on that technology as those are gas powered lasers. If purely technology and microprecessing technology should roughly double each year. That technology will be stunted until abundant electric power sources are found. Should that happen though we may not be in wars all the time Haha.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: alphastrike101

I've often wondered if they didn't go through with the chemical lasers in orbit. I really find it hard to believe they scrapped the program. Especially when they started duscussing a global missile defense system. And NATO went through massive upgrades to their missile detection system.

Maybe thats what that secret spaceplane is going, maintenance on the lasers.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Project 4202 could turn out a limited number of glide vehicles armed with nuclear warheads by 2020, and up to 24 with new hypersonic payloads could be deployed at the Dombarovsky base between 2020 and 2025, the Intelligence Review said.

I Believe some of this has been covered on the board, though I'm not sure if this is the same ICBM's that were talked about. The previous posts put new numbers at around fourty though this one is aiming more at 24. This comes in response to the wests interests and actions in the former Soviet region and some sort of retaliation was certainly expected.

What is the top speed of the Russian version? The Chinese WU-14 went 12,359Km (7675mph) according to Wikipedia.

I am not so much alarmed that there was retaliation but more so by the time line given hence that being the part of the article that I quoted. 2020-2025, looking like everyone is settling in for the long haul as my generation seems to digress from lessons learned long ago.

More details and some technical details such as the Mach ten capability. I am interested to see responses from those who know much more of this than me but I imagine we will be working hard to counter, and so we begin or continue the new arms race, something that has definitely proven dangerous should a catalyst provoke use.

Russian hypersonic missile

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Well they did not scrap it totally. They used the kv tech from brilliant pebbles on intercepted missiles and tracking sats that were put up there were still used for tracking and detecting launches.

A laser in space would be cool. Not a chemical one but mirrors on sats that could reflect the laser beam to any point.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Are you talking about intercepting an ICBM in its boost phase or the RVs?

It seems that most intercepters are for mid course interception but it would seem to me that THAAD was a system built to hit the RVs in their terminal phase.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Both THAAD and Aegis are designed to kill up to an IRBM. THAAD kills them in the terminal phase, and Aegis in the mid course phase.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I still doubt if we had systems that were more capable they would tell us about them.
I am quite sure they indeed do have these.
I can't prove it of course but they aren't stupid.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kratos40

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Project 4202 could turn out a limited number of glide vehicles armed with nuclear warheads by 2020, and up to 24 with new hypersonic payloads could be deployed at the Dombarovsky base between 2020 and 2025, the Intelligence Review said.

I Believe some of this has been covered on the board, though I'm not sure if this is the same ICBM's that were talked about. The previous posts put new numbers at around fourty though this one is aiming more at 24. This comes in response to the wests interests and actions in the former Soviet region and some sort of retaliation was certainly expected.

What is the top speed of the Russian version? The Chinese WU-14 went 12,359Km (7675mph) according to Wikipedia.

I am not so much alarmed that there was retaliation but more so by the time line given hence that being the part of the article that I quoted. 2020-2025, looking like everyone is settling in for the long haul as my generation seems to digress from lessons learned long ago.

More details and some technical details such as the Mach ten capability. I am interested to see responses from those who know much more of this than me but I imagine we will be working hard to counter, and so we begin or continue the new arms race, something that has definitely proven dangerous should a catalyst provoke use.

Russian hypersonic missile

We'll I made a comment. Did I divulge too many numbers?
I've had a stressful week.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I still doubt if we had systems that were more capable they would tell us about them.
I am quite sure they indeed do have these.
I can't prove it of course but they aren't stupid.

Russia I'm sure has far less of a chance of divulging sensitive information in my opinion. Maybe it's their culture or fear of punishment, either way it's my opinion and in no way fact. That being said, I think whatever technological advances made public by them are done so with an agenda, Noone shows all their cards and it was done with a vision for the future in their favor. Likewise for us, if you look up the class of gliding missile delivery system we have been working on a comparable one only delivering conventional warheads thus complying with the SALT treaty and in an international sense being a good member of the community and following procedure. Yet with our technical ability and I say this again without knowledge, I imagine a worthwhile payload for that technology would weigh more so I think ours could probably transition easy.

The Russians did what they always did, they told the world they are an equal, they are a proud sovereign country. Unfortunately the spin we put on this will be fear mongering, though I do not see any Russian troops in Mexico or Canada. Did they do things that were wrong? Of course, they entered another sovereign nation with force without the approval of the international community. And for that we should scold them and isolate them as well as demonize the country and make sure everyone their suffers, while bolstering our influence next to their borders. And if you agree we should punish them for that I implore you to explain to me Iraq, a sovereign country we went into without international approval and not a word was said. Should you adress this problem with increasing force and presence I assure you that you do not know of the causes of the world wars, and what may cause the next. Unfortunately we as humanity have not progressed as far as technology would imply, for I live in a fast paced world with every bit of information I could ever want in my pocket and yet my generation is in another cold war and racism is such a strong topic in my society. If I believed racism was so bad I imagine I would have this discussion a year ago when it wasn't an issue,yet media says it is. And if Russia is such an enemy where are my countries rockets to bring our assets and abilities to space with the shared international space station? It's the sixties and shame on everyone who shared rhetoric to allow such ignorant ideas not only to exist but florist.

That is all.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Both THAAD and Aegis are designed to kill up to an IRBM. THAAD kills them in the terminal phase, and Aegis in the mid course phase.

I do not understand why THAAD can not hit the MIRVs of an rs-24 or rs-26?

The post final separation stage, when the MIRV is starting its spin stability stage is the same of an ICBM
THAAD, it would seem goes after the RVs and can discriminate to hit a MIRV of an ICBM at that stage. It seems to have the speed and range that would be required to hit the MIRVs just before or just after final separation.

Although its a small window of time I do not see why THAAD can not do it before the MIRVs get moving too fast.
edit on 27-6-2015 by alphastrike101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Once they're at reentry they're already too fast. That's why they try to intercept in the exo phase. They're still accelerating at that point. Once they're heading to the target an ICBM is too fast to hit.

An IRBM can reach speeds of just under 13,000 mph at reentry. An ICBM at reentry can reach speeds of just under 16,000 mph. That's a huge difference to try to hit.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Right but just post to final separation before they can get up to their full speed they are still within THAADs range and speed up to about mach 8.
it is not nearly up to full speed when THAAD is going after the RVs
I found this post from 2004 and it lines up exactly with the 2009 test I posted earlier.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   

And it has to see, recognize, fire, and reach the incoming missile before it separates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join