It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung breakthrough could almost double lithium battery capacity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Oh Samsung, how I love you.

Researchers at Samsung Electronics announced yesterday that they have developed a new technology to produce a silicon cathode material that coats Graphene onto a silicon surface for higher energy density. In other words, Samsung has found a way to almost double the capacity of lithium batteries, which are used to power smartphones and various other gadgets.

The new process makes use of that excellent conductive material known as Graphene, which is grown directly onto the silicon coating surface without silicon carbide formation. If this sounds familiar, other groups in the US have been attempting similar ideas.

Here's a link to the similar ideas.

Graphene is sexy, sexy stuff.

As the article states, this may have some very important implications. Think electric cars and pretty much any device. I'm personally thinking electronic cigarette as it's my new weird hobby. Think about doubling the range of an electric car... Makes it a lot more reasonable. There are quite a few things limited by battery capacity, and I'm pretty freaking stoked about this news.

However, like most new ideas, industry observers expect that the technology is at least two or three years away from commercialization.

Hey, I'm just happy it's probably going to happen. To me it feels like it's been a long time since we've had a significant improvement in battery technology. I may be wrong, but it feels that way. With each step we're closer to the next one. This excites Domo. It's super hot out and my nipples are hard as rocks.

Hoping some folks with more knowledge about this subject share some insights here. To me this sounds like a game changer for quite a few things.

Link

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
What country needs invading for this stuff? I really don't see the need for longer battery life with all of the available power sources now. Sorry..I never will own a Samsung. I support the under dogs..

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I think 'phone batteries are actually pretty small and efficient as they are, but in other areas this is likely to be a game changer.

One aspect of the technology is that, at some point, the number of charge cycles would still cause failure, it is just that the process would no longer be gradual.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Typically, these type of designs reduce the battery’s life span due to more charge and discharge cycles, but this time the researchers also claim good cycling performance, due to its multi-layer design.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It basically means we can have small electric cars going 200-300 miles before needing recharge... it means they're now a viable option for the everyday driver.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Corruptedstructure

What country needs invading for this stuff?

South Korea.

I really don't see the need for longer battery life with all of the available power sources now.

You should read the OP or the article again... It takes a long time to charge up a car. You don't really get to have much range even if there are a ton of available power sources available. I don't think there's any argument from any sane person that a battery being able to last longer is a bad thing. You may not find it important, but a ton of people do, and there are for more applications than just your cell phone.

Sorry..I never will own a Samsung.

That's your choice. Every single Samsung product I've owned has lasted an incredibly long time and been wonderful. I have a tendency to abuse electronics, and not a single Samsung device has ever failed me or given me any issue.

I support the under dogs..

I will support the underdogs anytime they exceed or at least meet the same standards. You're not going to get a better battery from an underdog. They don't have the resources to develop better battery technology. Batteries are an issue for me when I use an e-cig, because if they aren't consistent and don't deliver the ratings they advertise I'm looking at a battery venting or catching my house on fire. It's one of those things where established companies SHOULD dominate. Are you going to trust some off brand fire extinguisher, or brake pad, or really anything that can be dangerous?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Typically, these type of designs reduce the battery’s life span due to more charge and discharge cycles, but this time the researchers also claim good cycling performance, due to its multi-layer design.

It is implicit that the multi-layer technology would extend battery life, but not indefinitely.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Underdog? Samsung was tiny on the market with smartphones and they made a superior product so now have a good market share with android devices. I had a skyrocket s2 that lasted 2 years like a champ. Still with the s4 and it's been a-okay. Going to a note 5 in October. Apple is the closed source thing that nobody should support. Samsung all the way, baby.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Yea, and so is every other battery in the world. Pretty much a non-statement, right?

Oh and the reason they will work out well for smartphones is 4k. They take up more juice. Proly a large battery in the note 5 coming out that is rumored to have 4k. This could halve the size of it. Leave room for more of everything else to fit in the tiny space.
edit on 26-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

It is implicit that the multi-layer technology would extend battery life, but not indefinitely.

I'm interested in why you think any of this news is a bad thing. No snark, just curious. I'm not personally seeing a downside. There's no tradeoff, just benefit if I'm reading this correctly. The batteries can cycle as many times, but they're able to hold a more significant amount.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Corruptedstructure
I support the under dogs..

So who do you support?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Yea, and so is every other battery in the world. Pretty much a non-statement, right?

Oh and the reason they will work out well for smartphones is 4k. They take up more juice. Proly a large battery in the note 5 coming out that is rumored to have 4k. This could have the size of it. Leave room for more of everything else to fit in the tiny space.

I think you are referring to 5G (5th generation) networks. 4G is already in existence.

Because 5G uses higher carrier frequencies, it should theoretically require less radio power but RF losses would be greater.

Manufacturers are unlikely to pump up radio amplifier designs as the heat dissipation, physical size of circuitry and current draw would not be acceptable to buyers.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'm guessing the companies that lack scruples who re-wrap a Samsung 25r and claim it's 40a continuous and 3200 mAh.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Dude you really are clueless. Kinda sound like a hipster geek who is really a lightweight. I'm in no way talking about 4g or 5g. Nevermind.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I'm interested in why you think any of this news is a bad thing. No snark, just curious. I'm not personally seeing a downside. There's no tradeoff, just benefit if I'm reading this correctly. The batteries can cycle as many times, but they're able to hold a more significant amount.

It could indicate that Samsung are likely to see batteries as consumables. Reducing battery sizes in design so that the batteries have a 'hard' mean time before failure.

You have to consider the commercial side of things and I can assure you that Samsung is VERY commerce savvy.

They will version-churn and planned-obsolete devices to maintain their sales.

They are also likely to continue to hike prices for new models, as they have done in the past.

edit on 26/6/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Dude you really are clueless. Kinda sound like a hipster geek who is really a lightweight. I'm in no way talking about 4g or 5g. Nevermind.

If you are talking about 4K video, then I can't see any rational reason for it in such a small form factor.

It's just a marketing thing that would give no added user functionality but you'd pay a premium for it ("but our one goes to 11"!).

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Let`s hope that they start mass producing batteries using this technology and not shelve it in favor of higher profits by selling batteries that last only half as long.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Samsung phones and tablets are rootable as well.

Which is good for me. I'm starting to switch all of my devices over to linux based operating systems for better security and greater functionality.

I've been looking into the LilDebi flavor of Debian Linux for smartphones.

Samsung can and sometimes does fully support these alternate operating systems as well. Because of their willingness to allow open source software I find them far better than Apple.

Looking forward to my next Samsung phone. Hopefully it will feature one of these new batteries. A better battery plus a stable linux based OS and you've got a whole new market entirely.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Interesting to finally see a maker bring this to market but nothing about it is groundbreaking.

Some real interesting stuff going on at universities using carbon nanotubes.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Corruptedstructure

What country needs invading for this stuff?

Jupiter.

I kid you not.

Why is there a scarcity of lithium?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join