It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athieists are suing to have the DECLARATION of INDEPENDENCE removed from public view

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
ANOTHER overreach attempt I believe.

thepeoplescube.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It appears to be satire...

godfatherpolitics.com...

(By "appears to be" I mean "it is.")
edit on 26-6-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

And of course, gays will never sue churches ...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Terrible story.

No org by that name so assume it really is satire but wow, I could see this happening.

They will carefully restore the Declaration of Independence by carefully scraping off language related to 'God,' 'liberty,' and 'independence,' using the skills and techniques they've become famous for while repairing priceless but damaged works of art.

Atheist activists have filed a lawsuit through the ACLU against the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) last week to have the Declaration of Independence removed from public viewing at the Capitol Rotunda. The activists maintain that a document with multiple references to God in its text prominently displayed on government property is completely 'unconstitutional' in addition to being highly 'offensive.'

The claimants, a newly registered non-profit group, Organizing for Secular Justice, have issued a press-release with this explanation: "For far too long has the religious right been suppressing our liberties by force-feeding the idea of a Christian God to individuals under the guise of freedom. To evolve past such archaic ideas and superstitions is an idea whose time has come. This charade of bigotry ends now!"

If the lawsuit is successful, the Declaration of Independence will be removed from the Rotunda of the National Archives and placed into permanent storage, away from the public eye.

"We're better off this way," said Bryon Fuller, one of the directors at Organizing for Secular Justice. "As long as there remains any reference to God of any kind in a public building, especially within that outdated wrinkled-up piece of paper showcased in the Capitol, there it will remain as a monument to ignorance, tyranny, and oppression of everyday Americans. In its current form the Declaration of Independence is by far the biggest threat to our liberties. There is no place for it in a truly free and modern society."

edit on 26-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

link   
The unmitigated gall of those dastardly, and devious founders of this nation to suggest that, at the time of the Declaration's writing, most people believed in God!

Clearly, it must be hidden, because as we all know: if you can't look at it, it didn't really happen.

link   
Dude, chill. Ever heard of The Onion? This is like that. Fake stories for purposes of satire.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
It appears to be satire...

godfatherpolitics.com...

(By "appears to be" I mean "it is.")

They've sued to have God removed from the dollar before. They've sued to have crosses removed from the seals of cities. It's entirely too believable.

link   
This is satire, and apparently many people got scared and confused. It's a humor website.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Perhaps....

But it's still satire.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So they want to remove it from public view while they have art restoration professionals scrape all references to God off the document?

Surely this is a joke. Nobody this stupid could possibly figure out how to file a lawsuit.

ETA: Oh I see. It IS a joke. That's a relief.
edit on 26-6-2015 by nodukkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's satire! Not real. Fake. Chill...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nodukkha

It is a joke. Apparently that doesn't matter much....

link   
I know this may come as a shock, but I once penned a story for them.
I know.

Shocking.

Right?

link   
Really? An obviously over the top satirical website being taken seriously? I mean, really, look at the website - The fact grown, educated adults still can't see the satire is funnier then the actual satire.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This was MY FAILURE as I am unfamiliar with that site before
II IS SATIRE.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

At least you owned it

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syyth007
Really? An obviously over the top satirical website being taken seriously? I mean, really, look at the website - The fact grown, educated adults still can't see the satire is funnier then the actual satire.

There are still people out there who take The Onion seriously.

Sad, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Wait !!!

Controlled opposition makes something sound so bizarre it can't possibly be true....

Until....

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It could have happened to anyone. I've never heard of it before... Good for owning it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

How could you possibly think otherwise?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join