It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spirit, the Counsellor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
“The Counsellor” is one of the names which John gives to the Holy Spirit in the final teachings of Jesus.
The Greek word is PARAKLETOS.
It gets translated as “Advocate”, “Counsellor” ,”Comforter”, and even (rather despairingly) as “Paraclete”.
There’s a lot to be said for “Advocate”, because the Latin word ADVOCATUS has the same root meaning as PARAKLETOS.
They both mean “Someone who is called to be by your side”.
However, there’s an excuse for “Counsellor” in the teaching function of the Spirit, so I’ll use that one for the moment (and come back to “Advocate” on another occasion).

The word first appears when Jesus says “If you love me, you will keep my commandments”.
For if the believer cannot do this on his own, he will need help.
Therefore “I will pray the Father, and he will give you another PARAKLETOS to be with you for ever” (ch14 v15)
So that is the way the Counsellor comes to us; the Son asks the Father, and the Father will give.
And he will not be a temporary companion. He will be with us for ever, for the rest of our lives and beyond.

But what does Jesus mean by “another”?
This really concerns the translation “Advocate”, because it relates to what John says in his Epistle;
“If anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous”. 1 John ch2 v1
So that will have to be considered at a later time.

Meanwhile, the next verse picks up another aspect.
The Advocate is called the Spirit of Truth.
So the world cannot receive or know him, because the world is in opposition to the Truth.
On the other hand, believers do know the Spirit, “for he dwells with you and will be in you”.
We were told on a previous occasion that Christ himself will dwell in the believer;
“He abides in me and I in him”-ch6 v56 (The RSV has chosen to use a different word there, but the Greek verb is the same in both cases).
So it looks as though the “dwelling” of the Spirit is the form taken by the “dwelling” of Christ.

A little later, Jesus is explaining that he has taught them what he can “while I am still with you”. More literally, “dwelling with you”.
“But the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (v26).
“Will send in my name” amplifies what he said before, that the Spirit would be sent at his request.
In other words, the Spirit of God will also be known as the Spirit of Christ (e.g. Romans ch8 v9).
(So it is a big mistake to separate them, as some people do, and call them two different Spirits.)
His function will be teaching, and the teaching, in the first instance, means keeping in their minds what Jesus has already told them.
So anything which clashes with what Jesus told them will certainly be coming from a different kind of spirit.

He comes back to this theme a couple of chapters later;
“I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now”. (ch16 v12)
This implies that he will be telling them later.
This will happen when the Spirit of Truth comes and guides them “into all the truth”.
He can do this because he does not speak on his own sole authority. He simply transmits what he hears (v13)
Just as the Son himself does not act on his own authority, but only does what he sees his Father do (ch5 v19).

The Spirit will declare to them “the things which are to come”.
This is not just about future events in the world.
It means that he will be confirming the teaching of Jesus about “the age to come”.
That is how the Spirit will “glorify” Jesus.
“He will take what is mine and declare it to you” (v14)

That is, he speaks for the Son in declaring what the Son has received from the Father (v15)

So the Spirit will be helping the people of Jesus partly by teaching them what the truth is, and partly by guiding them as they speak out the truth themselves.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The HS most certainly is there for you. If you dream, you will see Him there occasionally ... at least I do. He's the faceless man who sometimes guides me. There are no words for the comfort and love you can feel in His presence.

I think maybe I see Him because I pray nightly for God's guidance and wisdom and just plain for His comfort, to know He's there in my life.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Thank you for those comments.
Of course not everybody will be fortunate enough to have an awareness of his presence.
They will need to be more dependent upon their faith, because Christ has promised that he will be there.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No, I understand that, but He is there. Never doubt for a second that He is there.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Look at how he says his words are his, yet at the same time, they are Father's.

I think what he was saying is that he is the image of God, in soul, AND in spirit; and by image I do not just mean likeness, or similitude, but the actual physical manifestation of - he IS the body of God.

What he is doing is defining the Trinity - letting you know how you can understand God.

Like so:
1.These words are images of my awareness. (Son = word;image)
2.My awareness is the perception of my spirit. (Father = awareness;translator;perception;conception;soul;psyche)
3.My spirit is my will to teach you how to understand the Trinity. (Holy Ghost = spirit;will;desire)

So then all that was the image of my awareness of my will, where my will was to show you how to understand the Trinity; and, like this sentence, my words, awareness, and will were one (3 in 1) - they all shared the same will, the same concept, and the same image thereof. I put my awareness of my will into my words/body -- I breathed out my spirit into the one body of physicality, and since you are reading this, you are taking in my words and by the spirit/force therein you perceive.

We take in the spirit, and as we perceive it, as we image it, so is our body/the image of our conception.

You took in the words in John, and by the spirit therein, you perceived what had become of your spirit/forces as your will to make that opening post [about how you conceived the spirit within those words.] What you did in the opening post was awareness reproduction.

And all life is doing that same thing: reproducing spiritual awareness / concept reproduction / awareness reproduction, where the awareness is of the "forces" or Spirit / manifested will.

Body = image;form;physicality;word;
Soul = conception;awareness;perception;psyche
Spirit = will;desire;force;ability

Hope that makes sense to you - I am running out of ways to say it.
edit on 6/26/2015 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
John 14:16 says he will give them a comforter not a cousellor.

When i see people misquote the bible m
not just the words but the address i suspect they are not very literate with the Bible.

I go now neverto look back

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Romans 8

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of the Father/God/Love lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of the Son/Christ/Shepherd, they do not belong to Christ.

10 But if the Son/Christ/Shepherd is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Holy Spirit/Christ gives life because of righteousness.

11 And if the Spirit of the Father/God/Love who raised the Son/Jesus/Shepherd from the dead is living in you, The father/God/Love who raised the Son/Christ/Shepherd from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Son/Christ/Shepherd/Holy Spirit who lives in you.

They are two not one.
Isreal made the same mistake in the OT. In the OT the Christ is the Holy Spirit and God is the Spirit of God.

It has always been father and son. It was never the father became the son.

God is Love.

Luke 6:32
If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? EVEN SINNERS LOVE those who love them.

The sinner knows Love because God is Love.

The sinner however has no relationship to the Holy Spirit, Because the Holy Spirit/Jesus Christ overcame all sin. The baptism of the Holy Spirit, to be born again, cleansed from the sinful mind.

We know Love because God is Love, the son is the prize for the obedient. The spirit thay cries out Abba, Father.

God is Love
Jesus is the Shepherd/Light who guides us to Love.

They are two, Love is always present, God is not tempted to forsake his creation. The Christ/Holy Spirit is sent to those who seek righteousness.

They are two in both testaments, and they are two in the Koran.

If Love is in you, know that Love will send his son to Light your way.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep
Look at how he says his words are his, yet at the same time, they are Father's.

Yes, indeed, and he also says both "I will send the Spirit" and "the Father will send the Spirit".
The alternation runs through the teaching in John, doesn't it?
Thank you for those comments.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
They are two not one.
Isreal made the same mistake in the OT. In the OT the Christ is the Holy Spirit and God is the Spirit of God.
It has always been father and son. It was never the father became the son.

If you mean there is a distinction between Father and Son, and they are not identical, then I agree with you.

I'm not sure whether you are also suggesting there are two different Spirits. In that case, I would not agree with you. As we see from Romans ch8 v9, they are alternative names for the same Spirit, who is both "sent by the Father" (John ch14 v16) and "sent by the Son" (John ch16 v7).

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I want you to remember when the Light became clear to you. When the Light came, the Spirit of the Shepherd brought you into a union with the Spirit of Love.

Even the sinner can be filled with the Spirit of Love.

Only those who pursue righteousness are filled with the Holy Spirit /Jesus Christ.

Love itself is the spirit of the father. He is never tempted by man's sin to forsake man.

The Shepard is a whisper to the uniformed but the guide for those who pursue righteousness.

You knew Love, before you knew the Light. Your pursuit of Love is why you were born again, filled with the Holy Spirit.

Love itself is not the shepherd. Love does not tempt man. Remember the Shepherd was given permission to give life to he chooses. So God and the Son have authority to send the same Spirit

You can't be sent what you already have. You already had the Spirit of Love/Father, before you
received the Spirit of the Shepherd/Jesus.

Even the sinner feels the presence of the Spirit of God/Love/Father. But you did not know the Son until you gave your life to him.

Two Spirits, this is the only way to reconcile the three Abrahamic texts. I wish you could see this, then you might be able to accept Mohammed as a prophet and become one with another 1.2 billion people.

Acts 5
38 Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. 39 But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.”

Mohammed passes this test. He was clear that the father and son are two, because they are two.
edit on 27-6-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73
I don't need Mohammed.
The New Testament is all I need for guidance.
Once you start making demands to "accept Mohammed", you are taking people away from Christ and the teaching of the New Testament, so that isn't going to happen.
Nor will I argue the point on this thread.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I don't need Mohammed.
The New Testament is all I need for guidance.
Once you start making demands to "accept Mohammed", you are taking people away from Christ and the teaching of the New Testament, so that isn't going to happen.
Nor will I argue the point on this thread.

The only truth is in the NT? That is narrow minded for someone as loving as you.

How small your God must be.

edit on 27-6-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It is the basis of Christian teaching, and this thread is an exercise in Christian theology.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
I may be more literate with the Bible than you realise.
The word in the Greek text is PARAKLETOS, which means "someone called to come beside you".
So "comforter", "counsellor", and "advocate" will all fit the meaning of that word very well.
Incidentally, the word "comforter" comes from a Latin verb meaning "to make strong", so "strengthener" would be a good modern-day equivalent.

If you are going to "go, never to look back" simply because someone is using modern translations instead of the AV, I think that is very foolish and sad.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

you never were alive when that dead Koine Greek was used. No one who ever studied Greek knew the language either. They all only understood what is called Classical Greek

the Greek you are quoting, and that you and they say is the original language, is Koine Greek words with imposed Classical Greek meanings so it is erred.

If you cannot understand plain preserved 6th grade English as found int eh Authorized Version and you don't believe God is capable of preserving it as he promised in Psalm 12, you are not going to understand no matter how much you symbolize it, allegorize it or go to the Greek.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
God made no promise to the translators of the Authorised Version, that it would be the only right translation to the end of time, nor would they make that claim for themselves.
Their aim was that their translation should be as accurate and as easily understood as they could make it.
If modern translations manage to improve on that in both respects, so much the better.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

he made a promise to Israel and to all men who would search them and seek him.

Ps 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them ( his words ), O LORD, thou shalt preserve them( his words ) from this generation for ever.

If he were unable to keep his promise then he is not worth following. That I know he has in the AV thereby he is worth following. He does not preserve it in a multitude of English versions but in only one. And it would be up to you to seek it out and find it. One version stands out as the one that led the greatest revivals ever. One version can define any word in it by the context. One version has a built in supernatural cross reference. Only one has this stamp of God's hand and approval, despite what you believe.

And no, the modern translations have done nothing but make men gods, who do nothing but profit from what they label as God's words through book sales, and water down God's words.

edit on 1-7-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And where, in the Psalms or anywhere else, does he specify a particular translation? Show me where he indicates that we must only follow him in the translation made in a certain year.
And if you're going to invalidate all other translations, that means that you also invalidate the French, German, Spanish, and all the other languages of the world. The word of God is closed to all the nations of the world if they can't read English. Don't you see that? Don't you realise what an absurd and indefensible position you are taking up?

Incidentally, the next thread will be on the Spirit as "advocate", a translation which even the AV uses in 1 John ch2 v1.
But if you don't allow that translation of the same word in John ch15 & ch16, you miss half the point of what John is saying there.

edit on 1-7-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

God is not in the business of preserving it to every language but if you noticed the trade languages are the main translations. Greek was the language of the day of Christ, there was a pure Latin Version but was quickly destroyed by the Catholic church and replaced with Jeromes Latin Volgate.

When English became the trade language the LORD preserved it in English, not a multitude but only one.

Like I said only one defines every word in it by its context. Only one has a supernatural built in cross reference. and only one has led the worlds longest and largest revival. Open your heart and be truthful about this, Try reading it for truth and stop seeking it for contradictions and errors, and God will open your eyes.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
When English became the trade language the LORD preserved it in English, not a multitude but only one.

Where does he say so? Where does he say "only one translation"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join