It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Condemns SCOTUS Same-Sex Marriage Ruling

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Well, considering Loving v Virginia, why aren't you in a tizzy about mixed race couples having their right to marry guaranteed, too? It used to be illegal as well until it was blown out of the water, in case you missed that old memo.
edit on 6/26/2015 by Nyiah because: That would be LovING, not LovE. Oops, my bad.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

How does one oppose hetro-marriage?

Like...not get married or something? I don't understand, maybe I am missing something here?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Well, considering Love v Virginia, why aren't you in a tizzy about mixed race couples having their right to marry guaranteed, too? It used to be illegal as well until it was blown out of the water, in case you missed that old memo.

This is an argument I have yet to see anyone who is opposed same-sex marriage take on. None of them ever respond to comparisons with interracial marriage. It gets side stepped every single time it's been brought up in the discussions on here.

edit on 26-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If Yeshua is what I think he is then this answer to The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops would fit nicely.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

There are those who follow Paul and then there are those who follow Yeshuas teachings.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seagull

Oh, no, hetero marriage won't be outlawed. Freedom of religion could be.

How can they take something away that resides in a persons soul? Churches aren't religion; they are man made constructs to get their 10% tithes and instill fear in the followers. Mind control isn't worship; it's BS.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

The irony is now no one can oppose gay-marriage because it is a protected right.

From a religious standpoint, you most certainly can.

But hetero-marriage can be opposed by anyone and everyone because their marriages are not protected by the constitution.

Not sure how.

I thought it was an issue of equal rights but the outcome makes it clear it is not equal.

It should only be about equal rights.

Only.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: Nyiah

Well, considering Love v Virginia, why aren't you in a tizzy about mixed race couples having their right to marry guaranteed, too? It used to be illegal as well until it was blown out of the water, in case you missed that old memo.

This is an argument I have yet to see anyone who is opposed same-sex marriage take on. None of them ever respond to comparisons with interracial marriage. It gets side stepped every single time it's been brought up in the discussions on here.

Oh, I know. I'm tossing it out there again anyway. All any crickets tell us is that no one has a good excuse to refute it with. I'm still waiting for someone to at least try to formulate something, if they really believe gays having the right to marry is a detriment to hetero marriage. Same legal ruling boat & all, come on, folks.
< drums fingers on desk >

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Marriage is like a flag.

It is a symbol.

What you infuse into that symbol is up to you.

Now, everyone has an equal opportunity to obtain that same flag.

(as long as it's not confederate, that is)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I am in a mixed race marriage and it was opposed. But if you oppose a gay marriage look out. We saw what happened just because someone didn't want to participate in it.

But now gay marriage is a protected right while hetero marriage remains unprotected. That is not equality.
edit on 26-6-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I am in a mixed race marriage and it was opposed. But if you oppose a gay marriage look out. We saw what happened just because someone didn't want to participate in it.

Go back to 1967 & prior, then get back to me on that. YOU have the right, and have for decades while gays did not. How about you try & tell us about that threatened standard marriage again? Because once upon a time, interracial ones were considered a threat & illegal.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Your right to verbally oppose marriage between 2 gay people still exists.

I still oppose abortion even though the Supreme Court ruled for it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
People were killed for interracial relationships not more than 60 years ago. People would laugh, snicker, taunt, throw things at you or refuse your entry/service. Some were actually killed. It wasn't legal to be married either.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Again you err marriage has never been a US Constitutional protected right. No one had a right to marriage.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Again you err marriage has never been a US Constitutional protected right. No one had a right to marriage.

The day they make it a "hate crime" for me to openly call pro-abortionists murders is the day that I would agree with your assertions.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Is this a roundabout way of saying yours is just as invalid? Then why'd you bother? Couldn't have had anything to do with a certain devotion to your spouse & ensuing desire for legal benefits, could it?

If you're going to go this route, get your logic ducks in a row.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Apparently you lack the understsnding of equal rights

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Hetero marriage is protected under the Due Process clause. All marriage is protected under that clause.

The Fundamental Right to Marry Under the Due Process Clause. As a general matter, the Due Process Clause prohibits the government from infringing a fundamental right unless such is necessary to further a compelling governmental interest. In the 1967 case of Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court held that the “freedom to marry” was a fundamental freedom that could not be denied “on so unsupportable a basis as [a] racial classification,” thus rendering Virginia’s anti-miscegenation statute unconstitutional.[22] Many have argued that this holding recognizing a fundamental right to marry applies with equal force to homosexual relationships as it did to interracial relationships, but does it?

Significantly, the Supreme Court in Loving defined marriage as a “fundamental” right because it is one of the “‘basic civil rights of man,’ fundamental to our very existence and survival.”

www.heritage.org...
edit on 6/26/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The irony is now no one can oppose gay-marriage because it is a protected right.

But hetero-marriage can be opposed by anyone and everyone because their marriages are not protected by the constitution.

I thought it was an issue of equal rights but the outcome makes it clear it is not equal.

Boohoo princess.

Hetero marriage wasn't given any protection because it is so ingrained in society that it doesn't need it.

Gays aren't going to stop straight marriage. We need heteros to keep getting married and having babies - it's from your homes the next generation of gays come from anyway.

I've been to all of my brother's wedding in a nation where I am not allowed the same thing. I was happy for every single one of them (three in total) that they had found a woman whom brought them happiness and the promise of a life together.
edit on 26-6-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Understand there was no law that protected anyones right to msrriage. It never existed until today and it only applies to gays not all equally.

edit on 26-6-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

So you're saying in Alabama, in 1943, an interracial couple could have gotten married?

No?

What happened then?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join