It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK and the USA. Are we very similar or very different?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yeah its fizzy here.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Not only is the commercial lemonade fizzy, but the fizziness is more characteristic than the lemon.
I remember working in a popular catering establishment where two taps dispensed orange-flavoured and lemon-flavoured liquids. The second one had a very full lemon flavour and colour, but I was rebuked for calling it "lemonade". "That's lemon drink" (lemonade is the transparent stuff produced by Schweppes).
The difference may be that Americans are probably more likely than Britons to be producing home-made lemonade.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
This issue reminds me of another difference.
In British bars, "martini" means Martini & Rossi's vermouth, probably topped up with lemonade (the transparent Schweppes variety). The difference between "sweet martini" and "dry martini" is that there are sweet or dry versions of the vermouth.
When I worked in a restaurant bar, a waiter once asked me for a "dry martini". So I handed over, of course, a shot of dry vermouth. This rather nonplussed the American who was seated at the table.

Come to think of it, I now remember a lady in an earlier bar asking for gin and vermouth, but she called it a "gin and It", so she had to explain what she meant. "And Italian", apparently, as against "Gin and French" with Noilly Prat.
Then she grumbled about the price. Neither of us realised at the time that I had used the large measure of vermouth.
edit on 19-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
That's neat. I've only had it flat. Fizzy would be interesting.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The difference may be that Americans are probably more likely than Britons to be producing home-made lemonade.

You don't typically make your own lemonade then? You just buy it?

About the martinis: Make sure they're shaken and not stirred lol.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Making one's own lemonade, when it's there in the supermarkets, would probably feel too much like hard work.

CX

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I often watch that programme about the diners over there in the US.....I have no problems whatsoever with your food!

Everything seems to be slow cooked or smoked for days, drooling as i type this.

I often forget that the Brits and the US members are from different countries, once you have made good friends, I tend to forget about distance.

CX.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join